Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135203 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Easy backdrop for forest dioramas.
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »
   Here is how I'm  making the backdrop for my Endor diorama. I'm  using my redneck engineering camouflage technique.  What you need are poster board, dark green, light green, brown and tan/white spray paints. You will also need sticks/dowel rods, tree branches and or artificial plants.
   First I spray painted the poster board brown, after that was dry I placed the dowels and sticks vertically to simulate trees. Then I sprayed it all light green. After that was dry I used various plant limbs and artificial pine branches  as stencils and painted over them in tan. Afterwards I sprayed a few places, like the top and bottom dark green, using the artificial pine as a mask. Then remove the sticks/dowels. Thats it, easy backdrop.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:33:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Easy backdrop for forest dioramas.
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
  This is the end result more or less, I just tacked it in place temporarily. Not bad, better than all black, or whatever. What you want to do is round off the corners, if its a straight angle it doesn't look as convincing.  Im making the backdrop first so I can just slide in the landscape, when Im finished with it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:40:21 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures.
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
That is a excellent idea JD and it looks awesome.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
That is a excellent idea JD and it looks awesome.

Ron
   Thanks Ron! A few days ago I saw the shadows of the trees cast on the back of the shelf and remembered how we used to make camouflage, and gave it a try. Originally I was going to use a terrarium background or a poster, but they didnt look like Endor.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:39:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #304 on: November 20, 2016, 12:14:39 AM »
That looks great--interesting technique!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
What a cool backdrop. I like it! Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
I never saw something like this before! I thought of printing a background for my next dio, but your idea is just brilliant for Endor! It looks so real. It's amazing what you can do with spray-paint!
This Endor diorama is getting more and more shape! It looks great already! And I am amazed how hard and quickly you work on it! You make much progress in just a bit of time.
Thanks for all the insight!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
That looks great--interesting technique!
   Thanks Jaeger! You can also make a night version, by spraying blue over black. As well as the Starkiller base forest, and Dagobah, using different trees and colors.

What a cool backdrop. I like it! Off to share.
Thanks Tamer! I should have this all complete in a week or so, and I almost have all the modern era ewok figures exept for Kaink, from the Star Wars Tours set, but I was able to get Teek. This is a really fun project, and it's great to have some encouragement as well.
I never saw something like this before! I thought of printing a background for my next dio, but your idea is just brilliant for Endor! It looks so real. It's amazing what you can do with spray-paint!
This Endor diorama is getting more and more shape! It looks great already! And I am amazed how hard and quickly you work on it! You make much progress in just a bit of time.
Thanks for all the insight!
   Thanks Legion! I have a lot of fun building this dio. Sometimes I get an idea while Im at work, and try it out as soon as I get home. There are a lot of cool things you can do with an Endor diorama.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:30:22 PM by JDeck »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!! What a really cool idea , and the effect is great  ! Take a bow my friend!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!! What a really cool idea , and the effect is great  ! Take a bow my friend!
  Thank you Mr. Jedi. I try to find unconventional ways of doing things, it makes things interesting, and I may come up with a good idea.
       I got this CollectA Daeodon figurine. A Daeodon is a prehistoric half boar half wolf, found in North America. The figurine is in 1/20 scale, so it's close enogh to 3.75". He's pretty freggin big. The details are very nice, from the teeth to the fur. Everything is very well done no noticeable cast marks. It isn't cheap, $20 or so, but I thought it was cool. I got it becase it looks like something the Ewoks would hunt on Endor. I thought it would make a cool alternate scene for my diorama.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:28:41 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Making the Forest moon terrain
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
    This is how I like to make large terrains. First I like to use blue insulation foam, its lightweight, thick and sturdy. I made my base with insulation foam, and added some steps one on either side. That gives it some variation and it will allow me to have seperate mini scenes within the display. I blended the steps by taping wadded paper in the seams. After it had the general look I wanted I placed plaster cloth over the entire terrain. This will blend everything together seamlessly, and it has a cool effect. Then I placed my trees, and attached them with woodglue.
  Once it is all dry I will paint the entire terrain brown.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:02:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Forest moon groundwork
« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2016, 06:15:36 PM »
    The Forest moon Ewok display diorama shelf is just about finished. The first thing I did, I mixed my dirt with glue and water to create a paste. I applied that around the tree trunks, to give it a rootball look. Then I sprayed the terrain with spray adhesive and sprinkled my dry dirt, then the forest litter. After that I made some small bushes and plants, using different mosses and dried plants. Thats about it, with all the prep work I did it didn't take long at all.
   The next step is to address the lighting. What I'm going to do is get some small warm white LED under counter lights, attach them under the top of the shelf. Then take some artificial cedar garland and make a forest canopy. That way the light will be filtered, and create realistic  shadows. That's the plan anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:05:34 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
Very Impressive indeed JD and the back drop really makes it as well it gives it depth.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
Very Impressive indeed JD and the back drop really makes it as well it gives it depth.

Ron
   Thanks Ron! I guess I'll be making Endor dios for a while, I have a ton of leftover materials.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:44 AM »
It is really coming along. Nice. Off to share.