Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135963 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures.
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
I started work on my ewok village. Im starting obviously with the trees. Since it'll be a relatively small display piece I made the trees a little bit different from Diorama Workshop, but his way would work too, I'm just using what I have readily available.
       First I took some toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes and a postal tube I got a while ago, I figured I'd use it somehow. With those I constructed the inner frame of the tree. Then I filled the gaps with aluminium foil and gave it a natural uneven look. After that I gave it several layers of paper mache using construction paper torn in long irregular strips. Then spray painted it. On the right is the final product, middle the aluminium foil tree meat and on the left is the paper towel tube frame. I'll get into the specifics of the bark later.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:14:07 PM by JDeck »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
Well done on the ewoks ! Keep the little furball's coming !

Thanks a bunch Jedi! Your ewoks were a big inspiration.
[/quote]

Thank you JDeck i love the head piece on the One ewok and moer accurate then my version  what did you use to make it ?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2015, 02:45:58 PM »
Well done on the ewoks ! Keep the little furball's coming !

Thanks a bunch Jedi! Your ewoks were a big inspiration.

Thank you JDeck i love the head piece on the One ewok and moer accurate then my version  what did you use to make it ?
[/quote]

The skull I sculpted with the epoxy clay Milliput. Then I just used random things for sculpting tools. Then I just gave it a few strokes of off white. It turned out much better than I thought it would, I lucked out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:59:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Ewok village display: making the trees
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
I made the second tree. It turned out alright. Basically after I covered the tree paper towel tube frame with foil, I taped paper towels covering the surface. You need to do that because the paper mache will not stick to the bare foil. Then I saturated the paper towels in the white glue/water mixture. Then I applied the construction paper in strips about an inch long soaked in glue/water mixture. When it was mostly dry I just pulled a few strips off, to look like bark was shedding. Then I spray painted it. Unfortunately gloss brown was all I could find but I gave it a flat brown wash.  It was a noble experiment with mixed results, not exactly what I wanted but the Ewok huts will cover most of it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:22:46 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
The trees are looking good mate, this is going to be one great diorama/display when done.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2015, 04:12:26 AM »
This looks like so much fun. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »
The trees are looking good mate, this is going to be one great diorama/display when done.

Ron

Thanks Ron! I just have one more tree to make, then I can start the treehouse floors.

This looks like so much fun. Off to share.
  Many thanks! It is pretty fun I enjoy making natural things because it doesn't have to be very precise, the less perfect the better. I just find it a little ironic to make trees out of recycled paper, circle of life kind of thing.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
I've been stupid busy lately, I haven't been able to work on my dioramas much these few weeks, but I started a quick little WW2 Stormtrooper project. I'm a self proclaimed ww2 buff so I like doing these crossovers. A few months ago I was able to get some WWRP accessories fairly cheap so that's what I used for the helmet. The decals are leftovers from old ww2 model projects. The stormy is the Hasbro 6", I think it works well for this project because he has that lanky skeletal look. Also the soft vinyl plastic helmet was easy to cut.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:21:49 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
Wow, I like that a good bit. Evil looking. Good to see you check in and off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Wow, I like that a good bit. Evil looking. Good to see you check in and off to share.
  Thanks for the FP exposure Tamer. I've been wanting to find a purpose for my Hasbro stormtroopers since I've been going with bandai. Last night for some reason I just started cutting the helmet up. Its too bad the WWR figures are so expensive, but I did find a guy that makes resin 1/12 German helmets, so I'll try that out. I can see doing a WW2 Kylo Ren or Stalingrad snowtrooper.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:14:39 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
That post got almost 5,000 hits on our Facebook Page JDeck. I think they like it!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:59 AM »
Love the SW/WW2 cross over well done indeed.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Cheap Endor Forest soil.
« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
   If anyone was wondering how the Ewok dio is coming, well I decided to change directions. Seeing how I have over 25 Ewoks and counting, I would have to build quite a large Tree village to display them. So I'm making an Endor Forest display, that I'll be working on the next few weeks.
   I enjoy making forest dioramas, and I pride myself in my homemade soil "recipes". I use spent coffee grounds as my base. Then i added dried parsley flakes. The soil in most temperate coniferous forests, like Endor ( Central Pacific coastal forest), is reddish in color, so I used a combination of chili powder and cinnamon. You can also throw some tea leaves from teabags, for some dead leaves. It sounds really crazy, but whatever works. People actually spend a lot of money on just a small container of pre mixed dio soil. I made a bunch for pennies. The dio will be overall 2.5 square feet of ground cover, so I think I might have enough.  0//
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:44:43 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
Looks like a great soil recipe to me. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Looks like a great soil recipe to me. Off to share.
Thanks Tamer! My methods are a bit unorthodox but they work sometimes.