Author Topic: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.  (Read 95286 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
MPC 1/48 A-wing. 1983.
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »
       I finished up the A-wing model. With me nothing is ever really finished, I may fine tune some things. My original goal was to make the model better than the Titanium series stuff, or anything on the market, which unfortunately isn't a tall task. I found a polar lights display that will look good, and it might be big enough to hide the battery. I'll have to modify it with a hollow tube, and a switch.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:28:19 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
That looks excellent mate the paint apps and the lighting really bring it to life.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2016, 03:45:55 AM »
Nice, off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
x-wing miniatures rebel transport repaint
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »
  Since today is such a great day for spray painting, its sunny, warm no wind, great conditions. I decided to re paint the X-wing miniatures Gr-75 rebel transport. The old paint was fine but not great. First I decided to crack it open so I can add some lights later after paint. The best way to do that is to crack open the weakest point which is the front tip. Then with a screwdriver work your way back a little on both sides there's 7 male/female pegs with a little glue on them so its tough as hell.

Once it was all apart I sprayed it black, let it dry. Then sprayed it with a couple coats white.
After that I used a black oil wash and pastel chalk weathering. Now I gotta figure out how to wire the lights.
  First picture is the painted and assembled transport.  Second picture is the old paint. Third picture is new paint.  fourth picture is a reference from the ILM transport.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:23:45 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Haven Rendezvous Point. WIP.
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
    I also started on this 1/2256 Nebulon B Medical Frigate. I assembled it, and started painting.  Again, I painted it black then white. Now, I'm in the process of giving it black, and white washes, as well as some color variations. I was going to wait until I got the wood base I'll be using, but its taking its time getting here.
  Ohh yeah, I decided not to put lights in it. Too dang small. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid, is what I always say.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:45:48 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #290 on: April 11, 2016, 02:32:25 AM »
Looks good. Off to share. I got outside and built some bird houses yesterday.

Well basically it was just put a roof on an existing one, but I didn't follow the kiss principle and ended up getting into building two new ones. Still it was fun time with my daughter and power tools.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
Looks good. Off to share. I got outside and built some bird houses yesterday.

Well basically it was just put a roof on an existing one, but I didn't follow the kiss principle and ended up getting into building two new ones. Still it was fun time with my daughter and power tools.
  Thanks Tamer! Sounds like great quality time. I need to build a bird house. I've got tons of birds. Cardinal, blue bird, even a couple orioles in early spring. What would be cool is a death star bird house. Get a plastic globe, paint it black with grey panels. Put some sand on the bottom for weight. Lol. That would be rad!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2016, 02:13:36 AM »
Awesome idea. You should build one!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Haven Rendezvous Point. WIP. display base
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »
    I made the display base for my "Haven Rendezvous Point." display. This type of display is great for star wars mircro machines, X-wing Miniatures, models and more.

I started with a cheap pine 7" x5" plaque with "fancy" cut. The pine is not by any means stain grade and you'll have to sand it to get a good enough surface. I decided where I wanted my ships to go, and I drilled small holes in the plaque. I used fairly thin brass rods for the ships, and even smaller yet rods for the fighters. I placed glue in the holes followed by the rods. Let it dry for a couple hours. I then painted it with several coats of flat black. After that was dried, I dilluted some  flat white paint and used a toothbrush to create the star effect. Just dip the toothbrush into the diluted paint and flick it using your thumb. You could give the base a few flat matte clear coats to protect the paint and give it some depth. That's about it. Easy peasy.

The last picture shows basically how it'll look finished. I need to add detail to some of the ships, but it gives you an idea. If you look closely, you can see the x-wings and Y-wings. Very tiny, but in scale.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:31:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #294 on: April 14, 2016, 02:17:04 AM »
Wow, that looks great! These look incredible all together like this. Such small detail too. Reminds me of the end of TESB. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #295 on: April 14, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
The ships alone are awesome but adding to the base really brings them to life.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »
Wow, that looks great! These look incredible all together like this. Such small detail too. Reminds me of the end of TESB. Off to share.
    Thanks Tamer! Yeah I'm trying to recreate the end scene from The Empire Strikes Back. I'm almost done detailing the ships. Yeah they're tiny, but the resin kits pack a ton of detail. And I'll have better pictures soon, I was playing with the Photoshop, got carried away. I like this display a lot. This is probably the most expensive project I've done.
The ships alone are awesome but adding to the base really brings them to life.

Ron
  Thanks bud! Yeah they're ships from a couple different kits, and some 3d printed ones. The display is small. I'm pretty happy with it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:08:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Haven Rendezvous Point. 1/2256
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
   I'll go ahead and call it finished. Sometimes less is more. When I was a kid my dentist had a U.S Naval fleet model under glass, I thought that was the coolest thing ever. It had a carrier with planes, frigates, gunships, the works. You see similar things in naval museums. Its not exactly museum quality, but I was going for that look. At 7" x5" the display is fairly small, and it looks good anywhere without taking up a bunch of space. The base, I thought turned out great. The resin ships are very nicely detailed, which makes painting easy. I really like the 3D printed 1/2256 x-wings and Y-wings from J_roncho, on Shapeways. They really complete the display.

I'm starting to get the hang of painting micro scale ships, some ways its easier, faster at least. The more detailed the model the easier it is to paint detail, obviously. I found the white 3D printing material is junk at this scale however the transport in the background is done in 3D white, but the corellian ships I got, I ended up using them for painting practice.

I have some ideas to do something similar with Mon Cal ships. I have a 22" MC80a winged cruiser, but I'm not quite ready to tackle that just yet. In the mean time I have some cool Mon Cal ideas. Meybe incorporate some custom figures into the displays, we'll see. I also have some SW REBELS displays I'd like to tackle as well. So hopefully we'll see more fleet displays.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:16:45 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Haven Rendezvous Point. 1/2256
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
A couple more shots.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:56:01 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2016, 02:20:36 AM »
It looks pretty nice to me. Love seeing all those capital ships together. I could see you doing an Imperial Display like this. Off to share.