Author Topic: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.  (Read 95677 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »
This is coming along brilliantly mate.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »
That Quad Jumper is great. As is the rest. Off to share!

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
That Quad Jumper is so awesome.  Great kitbash.  I think that ship gets a pretty detailed profile in the Cross-sections book that came out for The Force Awakens.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
This is coming along brilliantly mate.

Ron
  Thank you. I'm trying to figure out the right way to make sand especially at such a small scale. So I'll look over some of your recipes, your sand always looks fantastic.
That Quad Jumper is great. As is the rest. Off to share!
   Thanks again Tamer! I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but its pretty cool. BTW I had some inspiration for my next project. I wish I had a snowspeeder the last few days, I got stuck so many times and counting. Heck I'd take a TaunTaun.
That Quad Jumper is so awesome.  Great kitbash.  I think that ship gets a pretty detailed profile in the Cross-sections book that came out for The Force Awakens.
   Many thanks. I enjoy kitbashing its a fun way to make a ship without needing a whole lot skill. I bet you can make some awesome ships using that cross-sections book.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:42:38 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »
You and me both JDeck! I have a four wheel drive truck and got out this morning, but wow is it slick and the roads are in awful shape. This one I think may have the 96 snowstorm beat and we got more snow then. The problem with this one is it keeps refreezing. Ice is now a part of the mix. Stay safe bud.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:23 PM »

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out the right way to make sand especially at such a small scale. So I'll look over some of your recipes, your sand always looks fantastic

Cheers mate, at this scale you can get away with using plaster of paris and by adding washes and dry brushing you can get it to look like sand.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »
You and me both JDeck! I have a four wheel drive truck and got out this morning, but wow is it slick and the roads are in awful shape. This one I think may have the 96 snowstorm beat and we got more snow then. The problem with this one is it keeps refreezing. Ice is now a part of the mix. Stay safe bud.
    Yeah today we had great melt off, it was nearly 60. But man those first few days sucked. I drive a bread truck so you know how popular I was. I got stuck big time yesterday, took me an hour to chip through the ice/snow. Today much better still sucks though. It's not really a whole lot of snow, but it just seems way worse than previous years.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:18:43 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out the right way to make sand especially at such a small scale. So I'll look over some of your recipes, your sand always looks fantastic

Cheers mate, at this scale you can get away with using plaster of paris and by adding washes and dry brushing you can get it to look like sand.

Ron

Yeah that's great advice. I bought superfine reptile sand but even that's too much grit. Plaster is slightly gritty. Desert terrain isn't my strong point.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:30:25 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
  I didn't do much today, just weathered some props and the hull. I just use oil based washes. For the speckled rust look I just shaved some rust colored chalk over the model while the wash was still wet. After everything dried I sealed it with flat clear spray. For the movie the AT-AT. was painted metallic grey so it'll show up against the background, but I did not want to do that. The quad jumper I weathered too, I figure if she does have one it would be in pretty rough shape, made of cobbled together parts. Of course the micro machine speeder needed to be repainted and weathered. Its a slightly larger scale, 1/86. No BFD.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:41:49 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
Looking great buddy love the weathering. I have been thinking about the sand at this scale and spakfilla would be perfect.

If you get some add some PVA/Woodglue and mix it together until it's a paste and then add some brown sand paint and a little beige brown and once mixed in apply it to the base. Once it dries the paint that was added will dry and will look like sand and if it's a little dark you can drybrush.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »
Looks good to me! Off to share.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
This project looks like so much fun.
Love that weathering.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2016, 04:42:18 PM »
Looking great buddy love the weathering. I have been thinking about the sand at this scale and spakfilla would be perfect.

If you get some add some PVA/Woodglue and mix it together until it's a paste and then add some brown sand paint and a little beige brown and once mixed in apply it to the base. Once it dries the paint that was added will dry and will look like sand and if it's a little dark you can drybrush.

Ron
  Thanks bud! I started experimenting with the  Spackle on the base layer. It came out to about what I want, PVA glue would help make a nice paste. So I'll just do that for the top layer. I'll probably paint the base layer a slightly darker tan add some beige paint to the sand mix. Then add thin washes dry brush as needed. That should create a nice shadow effect. Thanks for your help!

Looks good to me! Off to share.
  Many thanks again! I finally got the TFA concept art book today. In the middle is a huge two page picture of Rey's home, so that helps.
This project looks like so much fun.
Love that weathering.
   Thanks! It is a really fun project. Hope it turns out decent. I'll have pics of today's progress later on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:37:32 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Rey's AT-AT home. building the base.
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »
  I finally started on the actual diorama today. I used blue foam then I cut holes for the buried parts. Then set the parts in plaster. Then I created high spots using spackel. All I need is to create some junk props and give it a top layer of sand. I think the thinned down Spackle will work the best, for the sand surface. Last picture is the same concept drawing that's in the TFA concept book. I'm basically using that as a reference, but I'll have to change a few things.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:58:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »
Nice, very nice. I will be so glad when my concept art book comes. Looks great so far. Off to share.