Author Topic: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.  (Read 95454 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
"The Garbage 'll do". pt. 4 diorama base.
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
   I added the sand last night, its still drying. I ended up mixing the grout with spackel. The spackel I use is from dollar tree so its a fraction of the price. It doesn't have the usual fluffy texture, it has the consistency of yogurt. It works great as a base for snow, mud or sand. It'll probably take another day to completely dry. I'll call it finished, just need to seal it with a clearcoat. Its a little discolored and shiny now due to being wet, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:34:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2016, 05:01:45 AM »
Very nice, I think this turned out great. Off to share.

And moving on to Rey's house? Fantastic!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:08:06 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »
Very nice, I think this turned out great. Off to share.

And moving on to Rey's house? Fantastic!
   Many thanks again! I can't wait to start on Rey's home. I ordered the MPC 1/100 AT-AT from 1981. For practical purposes the kit's a nightmare, but it'll work great for the project. I should have it by next week. Right now I'm getting my greebles together to make that quadjumper that's inside.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:54:15 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2016, 05:19:56 AM »
I look forward to seeing the work in progress shots for this. I am still excited about that Dragon Model Kit.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:12 AM »
Can't belive I missed Falcon dio, it looks fantastic mate.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Rey's home. unboxing the 1/100 MPC AT-AT
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
Can't belive I missed Falcon dio, it looks fantastic mate.

Ron
   Thanks Ron! I went a little conservative on the dio, but I liked how the model came out, I didn't want to make things too messy and distracting.

I got my MPC AT-AT today. Pretty cool for a 35 year old kit. They actually used the same mold up until 2005. Then in 2010 Revell resculpted it in a larger scale. I love the box art, on vintage kits, especially this one. I was able to buy a factory sealed kit. Right now its a fairly rare kit, but if your lucky you can find one pretty cheap. The way the kit is boxed the parts fall off the sprues as the box gets rattled. There's a slight amount of flash on the parts but its not bad. The parts need to be sanded a little anyway. The parts are pretty detailed, I have a vast amount of Photoetch detail parts I can add to it. The panel lines are raised like all the others , but after its all said and done, its barely noticeable. So I won't re-scribe the surface, its too much crap. The kit comes with 2 little snowspeeders and 2 rebel cannon turrets, but I won't be needing them. Cool kit. Obviously It won't be a straight build so I need to figure out a game plan first. I couldn't wait until the Dragon kit released, besides this mold will work perfectly for Rey's AT-AT home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:19:26 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »
Looks pretty cool to me. One thing I need to do is go down and track down all the AT-AT Model Kits over the years. Its on my to do list.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Rey's home. pt.1 assembling the AT-AT.
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »

Looks pretty cool to me. One thing I need to do is go down and track down all the AT-AT Model Kits over the years. Its on my to do list.
   They're neat little kits. I think there are about 6 different AT-AT kits so far. MPC 1/100 (1981), MPC 1/156 "Battle for the ice planet Hoth (1981) MPC 1/100 ROTJ (1989), AMT 1/100 (2005), Revell 1/78 (2010), FTOYS 1/144 (2014). 3 of them are straight re-packs of this kit, plus there are the AirFix variants.

I started Rey's home by assembling the MPC  kit turret and body. I cut a large portion out of the bottom to make the hollowed out hull. I added quite a few Photoetched brass details on the underbelly. I added parts on the inside of the hull to add dimension. You won't see most of it but I'm adding blast/rust holes, so the light will bounce around, it'll make it look  cool. On the turret I cut out the view port so it'll look empty. All this is necessary to achieve the decrepit look, otherwise it'll just be a MPC kit lying on its side. I'll probably add more details, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:50:03 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
Awesome work so far mate, this is going to look amazing.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
Great start. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »
Awesome work so far mate, this is going to look amazing.

Ron
   Thank you! Its a fun project. Its like a cross between a ship, a building and a diorama all mashed up.
Great start. Off to share.
         Thanks again for the FP slot and comments. I'm just going off of some concept art, I don't remember exactly what it looks like.  I'm going to take some artistic liberties. I was reading an interview with JJ Abrams regarding the Falcon. He basically said don't worry about making it accurate just make it work. So that's my outlook on it.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
Really nice start to this great dio. I look forward to seeing it finished. I do agree with you about some blast holes - it should add some fun lighting to the project.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
Can't wait for more.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »
Really nice start to this great dio. I look forward to seeing it finished. I do agree with you about some blast holes - it should add some fun lighting to the project.
  Thanks Starchaser! I used my hot drill technique to make my blast holes today. I think it works pretty well.
Can't wait for more.

Thank you Sjefke! Soon I will have more WIP pics.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Rey 's home: assembling the Quad Jumper.
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
  I built Rey's Quad Jumper, that's in the concept picture. I really don't remember seeing it in the movie, but it makes sense she has one, to learn to be a pilot. Its made of X-wing, droid, aircraft parts and styrene tubes. I just detailed the front half since you won't see the rear. I also painted the AT-AT hull. And added blast holes. It still needs major weathering. I need to start the terrain next. I still have a long way to go, but the hull is done.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:08:50 PM by JDeck »