Author Topic: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.  (Read 95476 times)

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2016, 05:27:10 AM »
Looking good to me.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
"The Garbage 'll do". pt. 2 decals and adding damage.
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
  I put the decals on the top half of the Falcon. Since I'm building a dio of it in the landed position, I may not put too many decals on the bottom. I brushed "micro set" on the surface of the model, since some of the decals must be set over details. Ideally you want to use "micro Sol" as well to further liquefy the decal, but I didn't have any. Soon I'll seal it with a flat clear coat, and weather it using oil paints, and chalks.

Adding blaster marks

I added the blaster holes to the model. For some reason it wasn't a part of the kit, even in decal form. First I took a drill bit holding it with a pair of pliers. I heated it real hot with a bic lighter (don't use the el cheepo lighters, they act weird when they're on for a long time). Then while the bit is still hot I make my holes. Once the melted plastic has cooled, I take off all the excess melted debris.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:00:57 AM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2016, 03:38:38 AM »
Nice effect those blaster holes. Off to share. It is really looking great JDeck.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
Nice effect those blaster holes. Off to share. It is really looking great JDeck.
  Thanks Tamer! The decals are a godsend. Other kits you have to paint each individual panel. The micro set worked like a charm.
     I use the same technique to make blast holes as bullet holes. Except with bullet holes you use a heated nail. THEN you use a cool , slightly larger drill bit and place on the hole and twist with your fingers.  I've been doing that for a while, works pretty well. It would work great with Boba Fett's armor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:36:05 AM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
That Falcon looks fantastic, JDeck. Love the blast marks as well.

Keep up the great work!
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
That Falcon looks fantastic, JDeck. Love the blast marks as well.

Keep up the great work!
  Thank you GL1! This is my first Falcon kit. I've been wanting one for years, but wasn't confident in my painting, but the decals make things much easier. The weathering will be fun, I just need to keep from over doing it.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
"The Garbage 'll do". pt. 3 weathering the Falcon.
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »
I weathered my Falcon last night. I used oil based washes and chalks. I use oil because it has a nice consistency, and makes really cool streaking effects. Another advantage to oil is it gives you a very slow dry time, allowing you to work longer to get the right effect. If you put too much on you can just wipe it off. Of course the chalks work great for adding soot to the blast holes and engine screens. I'll have more pictures tonight.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:21:45 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
"The Garbage 'll do". pt. 3 weathering the Falcon.
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »
I took a few more pics of the weathered Falcon. Now I can start the diorama. I was thinking since its such a small scale I may experiment using tile grout. Its already the right color, no need to paint. It has a superfine texture. I dunno, we'll see. If all else fails I'll use the Spackle.

I did a test run on the tile grout diorama sand.  I think it'll work pretty well. I bought the mosaic grout on amazon. Its Ivory white, but its a little yellowish, so I added thinned white acrylic paint. It spreads nicely, and drying time is slow, and you can increase dry time by adding water. It dries a little more crumbly than I expected, but its cool. I can add a little glue to the mixture, to add strength.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:55:32 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2016, 05:50:06 AM »
This is looking great. My internet was out at home this morning, but look for me to feature more on this one soon.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
This is looking great. My internet was out at home this morning, but look for me to feature more on this one soon.
  Many thanks again. I should be wrapping this project up soon. If all goes perfectly well, meybe this weekend. Some reason It seems like I've been working on this a long time, but its only been a week since I started. It'll look pretty sweet with the finished Jakku junkyard dio/display.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2016, 05:46:00 AM »
I was able to get this posted and am looking forward to how this gets completed.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
"The Garbage 'll do". pt. 4 diorama base.
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »
  I started on the Jakku Junkyard dio base last night. I used bluefoam with WS concrete watercolor basecoat, I really like that stuff, it looks like stone/concrete. I made a power generator out of 1/35 and 1/72 tires. I'm still working on that, so it looks less like glued together tires. I also made a contraption that is supposed to resemble a moisture vaporator, but its not necessarily a moisture vaporator. I began experimenting with the tarps, using tissue paper soaked in glue/water. Once its dry it's easily mailable. Soon I'll add the sand, and that should do it. Meybe tomorrow it'll be done.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:42:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »
I like this project.  So many steps which make the end result impressive.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2016, 06:10:46 AM »
Looks pretty awesome to me. Great tip on those tarps too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »
I like this project.  So many steps which make the end result impressive.
   Thank you Sjefke. Its been a fun project, but its nice to see it almost done.
Looks pretty awesome to me. Great tip on those tarps too.
   Thanks Tamer. The dio is sort of based on the concept art. I couldn't remember from the movie how the tarps looked, I can't wait till the Bluray releases. My next project is in the planning stage. I think you'd like it. I know I will.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:36:25 PM by JDeck »