Author Topic: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.  (Read 95435 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
1/72 Y-wing maintenance hangar: finished.
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »
  Thanks for the compliments Tamer!

I painted my figures for this Y-wing maintenance hanger display. I'm not Da Vinci when it comes to painting figures, more like an impressionist, lol, but in 1/72 you don't need much detail. The pilot is Jon "Dutch" Vander and his droid along with some mechanics. From my references the R2 is all grey so that's how I painted it. I like this display, since I was building WW2 models/dios I've been wanting to do some kind of maintenance hangar.  So I think I'll make more hangar displays with some of the other Bandai vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:11:10 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Custom 1/72 Bandai X-wing Wedge's Red2.
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
  I Painted Wedge's Red2 X-wing today. It came out much darker than I wanted. I may or may not make a display for this. I have another x-wing I'll do something cool with that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:29:17 PM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Re: JDeck's machines, models, monsters and miscellaneous.
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
Awesome! You nailed down all the colors perfectly. I don't think it came out too dark. Always liked Wedge's Red 2 X-wing. Will the next X-wing you do be Luke's Red 5?
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
Awesome! You nailed down all the colors perfectly. I don't think it came out too dark. Always liked Wedge's Red 2 X-wing. Will the next X-wing you do be Luke's Red 5?
   Thanks GL1 for the compliments! Yes the next x-wing will be Red5. With a dio depicting it in Dagobah levitating out of the swamp. I think that's a classic. I've been wanting to do that for a long time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:01:05 PM by JDeck »

Offline BenAlius

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • #Buildingtoysformyson blog
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
This is not to dark! I love it!
Man you do awesome work!
Check out my #Buildingtoysformyson blog!
http://gewooneenchris.wix.com/buildingtoysformyson

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2015, 06:21:48 AM »
Man you do awesome work!
Agreed.   If you still think it's too dark,  then just tell people its post Battle of Yavin.   It's supposed to be that way.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:40 AM »
Man you do awesome work!
Agreed.   If you still think it's too dark,  then just tell people its post Battle of Yavin.   It's supposed to be that way.
  Thanks Ben and Sjefke. I'm happy with it, I just made a rookie mistake of not allowing the white wash to dry completely before adding the black wash, I thought it was dry enough. I often consider every build as being practice because I always learn something or figure out a better way to do it next time.

Thanks again for the FP spot, Tamer!

I do have a question whether Wedge flew his "red 2" x-wing during the battle over Endor I've seen the movie millions of times but no clear shot of Wedge's x-wing.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:41:26 AM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
I do have a question whether Wedge flew his "red 2" x-wing during the battle over Endor I've seen the movie millions of times but no clear shot of Wedge's x-wing.

I always assumed it was the same X-wing, just repainted. In ESB when Luke crash landed on Dagobah there's a long shot of his X-wing stuck and I remember seeing the 5 red stripes on the wings. If Luke had the same X-wing I'm assuming Wedge did too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »

I always assumed it was the same X-wing, just repainted. In ESB when Luke crash landed on Dagobah there's a long shot of his X-wing stuck and I remember seeing the 5 red stripes on the wings. If Luke had the same X-wing I'm assuming Wedge did too.
    I always thought it was strange Luke still flew the "red5" x-wing even though he was a commander in ESB. I realize its a movie, I won't read too much into it, but seems like they abandoned the tradition of painting x-wings according to the pilots rank after the battle of Yavin. Wedge's ship was badly damaged during battle of Yavin, so when they repaired and repainted it did they give it "red2" marks, or would they not even bother?  Then that brings the problem of having 2 Red2 x-wings during the battle over Endor.  Lol. Its a movie though, meybe I'll make my own custom ROTJ Red leader x-wing one day.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:02:36 AM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
Yeah good points. Its tough to say. I'd assume Luke took over as Red Leader, leaving Wedge still as Red 2. But that still leaves Luke's X-wing still with the Red 5 markings in ESB.

At the Battle of Endor I believe Red 2 was flown by a Y-wing - at least the way it was edited. It went like this:
"Watch out! Squad at point oh-six!"
"I'm on it Gold Leader."
(TIE Interceptor gets destroyed by a Y-wing)
"Good shot Red 2!"

With how that scene was edited, I'm not sure if that was supposed to be another Y-wing pilot or Gray Leader. If its a different Y-wing pilot he is very identical to Gray Leader. It could be like in the Battle of Yavin where someone said "Red 6 can you see Red 5?" well after Porkins was killed.

I've always liked the X-wings and how the stripes indicate what number in the squadron you are.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »
I'll have to watch it all again but yeah it was an editing nightmare, in their defence that battle scene was a MONUMENTAL task. I like the idea of star fighters having ranks painted on too, I think its neat. But not practical, when the squadron leader gets shot down they'd all have to repaint their ships. Now if the squadron leader was last in succession, say red 10 and the rookie was red 1 they could just add stripes as they gain rank.
    I watched that scene on YouTube and I paused it at just the right time and he was piloting the Red2 x-wing. So that begs the question, did they do away with the insignia ranking system on the ships. Because Wedge is inarguably Red Leader, but he pilots Red2.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:29:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »
very cool!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
I did the same thing not too long ago and saw Wedge was piloting a Red 2 marked X-wing at Endor. I think that might be just something to do with the production - similar to the special edition, the fly by of the X-wings and all of them were marked as Red 2. I remember another mistake, the scene just before Luke meets Biggs in the Yavin hangar, he runs his hand along the bottom wing, and you can clearly see there's one stripe, Red Leader's X-wing. They have their chat and Luke climbs into that same X-wing. Jumping the gun a little, Luke?

Its definitely interesting for sure. To me though, it would make more sense Wedge's X-wing be marked with one red stripe, seeing that's how the markings were in ANH.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
  Yeah ROTJ had a lot of inconsistencies especially dealing with the scale of the ships. That movie has so much going on its amazing they did what they did. The Death Star alone was a massive undertaking, built out of individual photo etched brass beams. So they probably didn't care about the rank markings too much. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same x-wing for all the shots.
  But I did see a behind the scenes pic of a red3 x-wing with a 1982 calendar in the background. It could be because Wedge is second in command behind Lando, that he pilots the red2? I would like to talk to the guy in charge of ILM at the time. Not Lucas but the guy that made it all work. Forgot his name though but he's awesome.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:51:00 PM by JDeck »