Author Topic: JDeck Drive Yards.  (Read 25101 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck Drive Yards.
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 03:36:29 AM »
Go for it! I would love to see someone come up with a better leg combination on the AT-STs and AT-ATs than Hasbro or Kenner has worked out. I hate seeing the opening areas on the inside of the legs. I also think their joints have been pretty wonky.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
I was thinking along the lines of a 1/270 Tantive IV. Something to scale with the SW miniatures. It will take a long time in preparation. It would come out to exactly 21.87" which is manageable.

It would just take some PVC tubing, couplings,  4-way connector and foamcore for the subframe. Then clad it in styrene panels add some greebles and details. I've been wanting a project I can sink my teeth into.

When I take time off from work in May I'll start on it. In the meantime I'll get some references and I need to buy better tools. So for the next few months my customizing budget will be devoted to that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:55:38 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Project "Snake Eater" V.A.M.P Mk.2.
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »
    I had the idea to do a snake skin camouflage pattern, similar to the kryptek type. I'm practicing on a donor humvee, if successful I'll use it on my GI JOE VAMP.

First I spray painted a basic woodland camouflage pattern using dark green, light green, tan and black.
   Then I stretched a fishnet stocking over the humvee into a non uniform pattern.
    Finally I sprayed another woodland pattern over the stocking. Then after its dry remove the stocking. Instant snake skin camo.
   I might practice a little more on another donor car. I think I'll use brown instead of the light green or black, one of the two. Meybe make a template mask. But it looks cool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:13:28 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:47 AM »
Looks good to me. Off to share.

I have a gun or two I would love to try this out on.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:12 AM »
Looks good to me. Off to share.

I have a gun or two I would love to try this out on.
   Thanks Tamer!
Yeah that would be cool. I've seen pictures of special forces guys with painted snake skin weapons and helmets and things. They use cargo netting, because its readily available. Personally I like the fishnets, because its a tighter pattern, and you can stretch it , and make it more distorted, enhancing the camouflage. Cheesecloth is too tight of a pattern to be effective at any range.
  Rustoleum camouflage paint is great, it bonds to both plastic and metal. It's a very flat color, no gloss at all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:56:45 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 02:07:55 AM »
I sure do like how this turned out.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »
I sure do like how this turned out.
   Me too! It looks cool, and its effective.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:05 PM »
      I painted my V.A.M.P today. Same process as the Humvee, I just added some brown less black. Now I just have to put it all back together again. I still need to think how to adress the headlights. I might just paint it or add the Humvee lights. No clue what im going to do at the moment, but the paint looks cool.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:09:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »
Wow, these are really nice projects! I especially like the HMMVW in that pattern! I am looking forward to seeing these vehicles done!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 02:01:27 AM »
Looks good on the front page. I like this job even better than the last one!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
Wow, these are really nice projects! I especially like the HMMVW in that pattern! I am looking forward to seeing these vehicles done!
   Thanks bud! The humvee is just a parts car. Im using the hood grill, snorkel tubes, antenna, possibly the headlights and taillights on the VAMP. I was doing my practice painting on it.

Looks good on the front page. I like this job even better than the last one!
Thanks Tamer! It pays to practice a little, I just used more contrasting colors on the vamp. It looks kind of like a sea turtle, nothing wrong with that. Its pretty effective camouflage, not sure why the Pentagon  chose digital over Kryptek. The new multicam is really good though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:52:45 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
   I pretty much finished most of the V.A.M.P. I used the hood grill, snorkel intake/exhaust, headlights from the Maisto Humvee. The wheels/tires are from the Maisto hummer hx. I added the .50 cal., cause every vehicle needs a 50. I put a camo/cargo net on the back, made of the fishnet stocking used for the paint job. It can be lowered or raised, for 2 different looks.  I'll share more details as I get them. I still need to finish the squad of Joes that goes with it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:18:04 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »
Now that looks nice JDeck. Off to share. I so want to try this on an AR .22 I have. I just might.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Now that looks nice JDeck. Off to share. I so want to try this on an AR .22 I have. I just might.
Thanks Tamer! Yeah that would look pretty sweet on an AR.22. An urban color scheme would be rad, black grey white. Automotive primer is pretty much the same formula as the camouflage spray paint. Heck I'd get a couple of dollar store m-16s and practice, try out some different  colors.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:06:25 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:07 AM »
Good idea.