Author Topic: star wars/ww2 mash/ups  (Read 24798 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: star wars/ww2 mash/ups
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »
I'm loving the detailing.  It looks like a lot of fun.
Are you using detailing tips from WW2 modeler sources?
What's that next project going to be? 
A TIE Messerschmitt? 
A Panzer Walker?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:48:24 AM by Sjefke »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 08:34:38 AM »
I'm loving the detailing.  It looks like a lot of fun.
Are you using detailing tips from WW2 modeler sources?
What's that next project going to be? 
A TIE Messerschmitt? 
A Panzer Walker?

Thanks bud! Yeah I used to build ww2 models, before I got bored with it, that's when I started building mashups out of leftover parts. I learned a lot of cool tricks from military modeling websites, magazines, YouTube videos and forums. Pretty much everything I know from modeling to dioramas I've learned from my military modeling days, and of course from this forum too. I like to use modeling techniques on my SW customs especially the mashups.
     I'd like to do a bf-109 tie fighter just need to figure out the kinks, but my next project will be a Junkers Slave I. The S1 has the same utilitarian ruggedness as the Junkers aircraft. In my opinion the Slave 1 looks somewhat like a backwards JU.188.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:13:05 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
making any scale rivets.
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
   EL I'll go ahead and show you how I make my rivets. Its much cheaper and easier than using the resin surface detail transfer rivets. I use common everyday wood glue. I dip the tip of a wooden scewer or toothpick in the glue and delicately touch it to the model surface at a straight up and down motion. It dries clear and shrinks a little so you may have to go over it twice, but it levels out to a perfect half sphere. Its easy to remove even when its dry so that's good when you make a mistake, but be careful when you paint it. Ideally you want to apply it after the primer coat, but I didn't this time. Like everything else it takes patience, sometimes two or three tries. I also use this technique for alien warts and scales.  EL
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:15:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
The wood glue rivets look great. I might try this in the future.

The Junkers Slave 1 sounds very interesting btw.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
WW2 AT-ST. The paint.
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
  [at1] I think I'm finished with the paint on my AT-ST. Its a little funky, but I was going for the Stalingrad look. I've done a Winter walker before but I wanted this one to be more badass. If your not familiar with WW2 winter camouflage, the German soldiers would paint their tanks with an army issued white wash that was water soluble, so when it rained in the spring the paint would wash off. That's what I was looking to accomplish. I gave it reconaissance tactical symbols, 24th panzer division markings, balken crosses, as well as the red turret numbers.  [at1]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:08:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
WW2 Eastern Front AT-ST.
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
 [at1] This is what I have as far as the groundwork. Real simple, wheat stalk fibers and baking soda. Boom! done deal.  [at1]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:37:48 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2015, 05:44:20 AM »
Very cool. I like it a good bit. Off to share

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
The wood glue rivets look great. I might try this in the future.

The Junkers Slave 1 sounds very interesting btw.
Thanks Faila! It is a pretty neat trick, I like to keep little tricks like these under my hat. You never know when you might need to use them.
    Now that I'm finished with the AT-ST I can start on the Junkers Slave 1, I've been wanting to build it for years. Now that I have more experience and a better model kit to work with now's the time.
Very cool. I like it a good bit. Off to share
   Thanks again Tamer! At first I painted it German grey, but I thought it was too dark so I gave it winter camo to give it some color. Plus since I traded my Stalingrad snowtrooper I wanted something similar. BTW the snowtrooper is to be displayed in a comic book shop in Colorado, so that's pretty cool.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Junkers Slave 1
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
 bbfet.  I have all the ingredients to make the Junkers Slave I. I'm using the 1/144 Bandai Slave I, the Academy 1/72 JU87G-1 Stuka and the Revell JU88A-4. I decided to use the 1/72 parts because 1/144 would be way too small. I started test fitting some parts already and they mash up pretty well. It'll be basically a dive bomber/tank buster/ship destroyer. I'm still hungover from the AT-ST I just finished so I'll start it in a couple days.  bbfet
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:00:02 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
That walker turned out really, really great! I really like the paint job.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
That walker turned out really, really great! I really like the paint job.
  Many thanks again Starchaser! I must say I was a little worried after I applied the whitewash, until I added some rust stains and black wash. I have to give credit to Ironpanda for the idea of adding a flat clear coat between coats. It worked better than the way I had been painting.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:10:09 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 04:10:45 AM »
I like the idea of the Slave I Project too!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 05:26:06 AM »
I like the idea of the Slave I Project too!
  I think it'll be pretty cool. Ineed to start drawing concepts again. When I was a kid I drew concepts that were pretty good, but that was many years ago. Anyway I have it pictured in my mind. Not a dramatic transformation but not gaudy either. I'd like to somehow incorporate a little of the Indiana Jones flying wing in it too, I always thought that was a cool design.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:12:11 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Junkers Slave 1: engines/wings
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
  bbfet  I figured I'd show what little progress I've made on my Junkers Slave 1. I added twin Jumo 213a inverted V-12 engines, to me they look a lot cooler than the normal slave 1 engines. I also made the wings, they look a little odd, but I wanted the Slave 1 wing look but made of ww2 style wings. Specifically I wanted the dive breaks, a very distinct look of dive bombers. I added some bombs to one side I'll add them to the other side soon. Believe it or not this took me 2 nights to build just this. A lot of cutting test fitting and so forth.  bbfet
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:46:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 05:15:06 AM »
Progress, that is great. I look forward to seeing how this one finishes up!