Author Topic: star wars/ww2 mash/ups  (Read 24816 times)

Offline AjuntaPall

• Captain
  • Thought is the cause of it ALL!
Re: star wars/ww2 mash/ups
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
I guess great minds do think alike. I just finished a WWII Boba Fett and a SS Stormtrooper to go with my WWII Vader, These are just brilliant my friend. Very nice Tie Fighter pilot I must say.  ;)
THE FORCE is strong with this one...

Roger Roger....

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
These WWII/SW mashups are such a cool concept.
Nice execution on all the troopers.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
I guess great minds do think alike. I just finished a WWII Boba Fett and a SS Stormtrooper to go with my WWII Vader, These are just brilliant my friend. Very nice Tie Fighter pilot I must say.  ;)
  Thanks Pal! I have a WW2 Fett in the works, but the base figure im using is junk the leg broke off when I took it out of the package. So he looks funky right now.
These WWII/SW mashups are such a cool concept.
Nice execution on all the troopers.
  Thanks Bud! Its not a totally original concept, but i started building them by accident. Im getting back into it again. I think its pretty fun, they combine two of my interests.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:43:09 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: star wars/ww2 AT-ST kitbash extravaganza
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
 EL  I just got my final ingredient for my WW2 AT-ST. Ive built at least five of these before I joined the Shipyards, but I've never used the Bandai AT-ST, I always used the AMT-ERTL kit. The only drawback to the Bandai kit is its TOO detailed, but that's a good problem to have. So it'll be a kitbash of the 1/48 Bandai AT-ST, 1/35 Tamiya Kfz.222 (armoured car) and a 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I, early production. I'm using the Tiger I as the catalyst I always use the 1/35 kfz.222 and some other kit, sometimes a pz.iv or a 37mm, something to round out some minor details, and it makes them all unique. I use the KFZ.222 because it has similar lines as the AT-ST and some of the parts sync up pretty well. I also like the aluminium 20mm cannon the kit comes with, its not a huge gun, but I think it works great for the AT-ST. It'll take about a week or two to finish. This is going to be the greatest WW2-AT-ST ever built.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:26:08 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 03:50:00 AM »
Sounds like a cool project to me. And you now have all the pieces.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: WW2 AT-ST.kitbash.
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
   I wanted to start this project a few days ago, but you know how work is. I've had supply problems of every kind. I've had labor difficulties etc.  I began working on the body of the AT-ST. I added some various parts, tank track armor, transmission housings, odds and ends. I also added the intake and exhaust, from the Tamiya Tiger I. The cool thing is the muffler covers can be snapped on or off. Soon I can work on the turret. I wanted to show folks the kind of details that go unnoticed after its finished.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:46:57 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:11 AM »
Great work, this is gonna really come home in the stretches. I can't wait to see the body hit this. Man just fantastic detail work too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »

Great work, this is gonna really come home in the stretches. I can't wait to see the body hit this. Man just fantastic detail work too.
     Thanks Tamer! I should have the turret done Tuesday or Wednesday. I added a few more parts after I took the pics, just a some tools small parts and a few surface welds/rivets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:03:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
making any scale weld beads for customs.
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
   EL  I started experimenting today, making weld beads. I know welds aren't something seen much in the SW universe, but for this application I thought it would be appropriate. I just took some Milliput rolled it into a super thin snake, put it along the seam. Then I flattened it, cut the excess. I took a wooden scewer cut the tip at a 45° angle and moved the putty the same way I would weld a piece of metal. Holding it at a 45° angle and pushing the putty slightly and moving down a little, repeating the process. I practiced on the foot because if it looks screwy I'll pass it off as a field repair. With a little more practice I can make it look like a roll of quarters.  I'm sure someone can use this info to put welds on rebel vehicles or armor repair something like that.  EL
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:32:02 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 04:08:45 AM »
Pretty cool effect.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
Very realistic welding seams.
Thank you for the tutorial.
I can't wait to see your Tiger AT-ST

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
WWII AT-ST: Turret construction.
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
      [at1]   I got most of the turret finished, I may add some rivets in certain places. It has the Tiger cupola, a few access panels, smoke grenades, things like that. I also rebuilt the weapons, which I'll get into the specifics on later. It looks a little funky now but when its all painted it'll be better.  If anyone is interested I can show how I make my rivets.  [at1]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:29:59 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
WWII AT-ST: Weapons.
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »
     ()rr    The main weapon is a 20mm kwk 30 with a coaxal mg34. The 20mm may look wimpy, but its a devastating weapon. Its rate of fire is about 120 rounds per minute, and depending on the type of round used it has an effective range of 2,200m. A 20mm round is about twice as big as a .50 cal. It can penetrate 20mm of armor at 100-500m. The mg34 was a very advanced weapon for its time, it used a 7.92mm bullet with a rate of fire of 1,200 rpm, with an effective range of +1,200m. I added a magnet so I can detatch it easily to paint. The port side aux. weapon is a combination of two mg34s and an mg151 mostly used for antiaircraft, but definitely effective against infantry. The starboard side is a 30 cm high explosive nebelwerfer rocket. Its an early form of rocket propelled artillery. Its affectionately known as the "Stuka zu fuss" meaning roughly bomber on foot, so I thought it was appropriate. The problem with the nebelwerfer was it was really loud and left a trail of smoke giving away their position. None the less they were highly effective with a maximum firing range of 4,550 m. Those Ewoks will never know what hit 'em.  ()rr
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:57:50 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:11 AM »
It sure looks good on our front pages. Keep it coming!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
Very realistic welding seams.
Thank you for the tutorial.
I can't wait to see your Tiger AT-ST
Thanks Faila! It takes practice trial+error but it works. I'll do a small demonstration on making rivets probably tomorrow. Its really easy, if you don't already know how.
It sure looks good on our front pages. Keep it coming!
   Thanks again for the comments and FP feature. I'm glad you like it, I've done several of these with the AMT kits , but the Bandai kit is great because the parts are really detailed and seamless It makes life easier, thereby making it more fun. That's why I stopped making them, its really frustrating to have to assemble the model, fix it, then customize. Having a kit you don't have to fix is wonderful.
  P.S. I have another mashup project I'm dying to start. I have most of the parts, just waiting for one more kit. Its not an AT-ST, but I hope I don't slave over it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:14:08 PM by JDeck »