Author Topic: star wars/ww2 mash/ups  (Read 24786 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: star wars/ww2 mash/ups
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
Wow, and wow again! The Schnee-trooper turned out brilliant! Really amazing execution on this one. Now all you've got to do is put together a Russian rebel trooper and they can face off. The speeder bike looks great too, I like the addition of the wings.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:13 AM »
Wow, and wow again! The Schnee-trooper turned out brilliant! Really amazing execution on this one. Now all you've got to do is put together a Russian rebel trooper and they can face off. The speeder bike looks great too, I like the addition of the wings.

Thanks Starchaser! I'm glad you said that. It got me thinking about how a 6" Hoth Luke would make a perfect Russian. Just a simple repaint and a red star on his cap.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »
This one really impressed me JDeck (please read my comments on the front page). Such a cool idea and just perfect execution.

Do you have any ideas to make an AT-AT Driver in this style and if you do can I call dibs on it before someone else does?

Offline AjuntaPall

• Captain
  • Thought is the cause of it ALL!
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
Love that snowtrooper. I've done a WW2 Vader and that snowtrooper would go perfect with him now I have to make one  ;D GOOD JOB!!!
THE FORCE is strong with this one...

Roger Roger....

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
This one really impressed me JDeck (please read my comments on the front page). Such a cool idea and just perfect execution.

Do you have any ideas to make an AT-AT Driver in this style and if you do can I call dibs on it before someone else does?

Thanks again for the FP treatment, and comments. An AT-AT driver would be pretty tough. Not impossible though. Not sure how it would look, but if I can find a TIE pilot cheap enough I'll experiment.
Love that snowtrooper. I've done a WW2 Vader and that snowtrooper would go perfect with him now I have to make one  ;D GOOD JOB!!!
Thanks Pall! Go for it, i originally intended to build him in 3.75" scale. "OurWar" makes cool ww2 figures for fodder. I'm either going to make a Darth Vader or kylo ren sometime soon.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:11:17 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 05:30:14 AM »
Yeah, not sure how you would do that, might be cool to do a concept drawing or something along those lines. I remember hearing a documentary on Star Wars and George was talking about his idea for the Imperials came from WWII Nazi Germany. This is really bringing that home in my opinion!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
Yeah, not sure how you would do that, might be cool to do a concept drawing or something along those lines. I remember hearing a documentary on Star Wars and George was talking about his idea for the Imperials came from WWII Nazi Germany. This is really bringing that home in my opinion!
  Im not much of a concept artist, i just make it up as i go. Since I want to build a Luftwaffe TIE pilot anyway, I'll do that, and hopefully if it works out I can tweek the design and color for an AT-AT pilot/driver. An AT-driver is basically an army pilot. We'll see how the pilot turns out and I'll experiment along the way.
  For the Luftwaffe pilot I'll give him a black "leather" (Milliput) skull cap and mask instead of the m35 steel helmet I usually go with. Other than that just a repaint. Dark grey suit/helmet and a white lead foil harness. For the AT-AT pilot I can do the same but a brown skull cap/mask, light grey suit, white helmet with red accents. Along with shoulder plates and a slightly different breather. The face will have the same basic shape but mostly covered in leather. The cranium will be smaller with the skull cap, requiring some cutting/sculpting. We'll see how the tie pilot comes out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:35:10 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
Cool idea. Interested in the TIE as an experiment into making a Driver!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
I got my TIE pilot yesterday that I'll use for my Luftwaffe pilot. I just carved his head up, I haven't made the skull cap yet but I began experimenting with the mask straps. I haven't used Verlinden lead foil before, never had a reason to, but its a great product. It cuts very easily and its very soft but strong. Much better than using aluminium foil. I'm not sure if its real lead or not, so I might get lead poisoning before I finish. You can use Verlinden lead foil for straps, belts, gun slings, capes hoods  and many soft goods.

The reference picture on the bottom shows that the Germans did use a white pilot uniform. It could be a winter bomber, but its just a drawing though, I haven't seen a real one. It will make a great WW2 AT-AT pilot reference.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:27:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: star wars/ww2 Luftwaffe TIE pilot WIP
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
  I started on the skullcap. It has similar lines as the original helmet but as a leather skull cap. I also painted his chest plate yellow just like the life jackets they wore the rest is just black. No decals no weathering, because he doesn't need it. I need to go over the paint apps one more time, and that's it really. Actually I might make a harness for him too.
Overall I made a few mistakes on the face, but I'm cool with it. Not bad for a shot in the dark experiment.  I'm trying to correct my mistakes by covering them up. I added some buckles/tensioners on the helmet made from 1/72 tank tracks.
   I've got tons of ideas for future mashups. Projects I've been wanting to do for several years, now that Bandai makes good quality star wars kits it will be a lot easier and more fun. I have one idea in particular that will be pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:44:00 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: star wars/ww2 Luftwaffe TIE pilot
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
 I'm pretty finished with this one. I like it, he's pretty cool. If I were to to it again I'd change some things. I like the way the skull cap turned out, I'm becoming more confident in my sculpting skills. I went ahead and weathered him I just like the look better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:15:14 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
All maxed out on my internet time today, but wanted to say this looks pretty ra.d

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »
Turned out great! That skull cap looks good to me, too. Keep up the good work.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 03:58:16 AM »
Finally got this on the front pages. It turned out great!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
Turned out great! That skull cap looks good to me, too. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Starchaser!! Its a little unprecedented I wasn't sure how it would turn out. All in all pretty good.
All maxed out on my internet time today, but wanted to say this looks pretty ra.d
Finally got this on the front pages. It turned out great!

Many thanks again Tamer! This pilot was a good prototype for an AT-AT pilot/driver. Same principle, but different colors. I'll triple up the harness straps and reconfigure the breathing apparatus. Change a few things, here and there. Add some squadron or armored division patches. Things like that. In the mean time I have some Mash up vehicles I want to work on.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:14:55 AM by JDeck »