Author Topic: Strongest Glue  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
Strongest Glue
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:44:03 AM »
Looking for a new type of glue to use, Locktite and Krazy just don't cut it anymore with the rising complexity I'm trying to incorporate in my customs. What kind of glues does everybody else use?

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: Strongest Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
I've had good luck with Shoe Goo. It only takes one drop, and it seals like rubber, so long as you don't go bending it a whole lot.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to try that, sealing like a rubber sounds great. I think my problems stem from most super glues dry brittle, and have broken during shipping from time to time.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
When I first started, I was using Krazy Glue and just wasn't impressed with how it held Hasbro action figure plastics. I was at a train show a few years back and watched a guy demonstrating Lightening Bond Glue.  It's a cyanoacrylate, like Krazy Glue and Loktite, but it definitely has properties which make it more effective at holding different materials together.   A bottle generally lasts me a year and I'm currently on my 4th.  It's pricey, but I use it for a lot of home repairs too.  It also stays liquid longer.  I've had my bottle open to the air for a year because the cap got too gunked up to close and it still works great.  If you indulge, go for the $20 bottle which comes with Lightening Bond Filler and the Accelerant.

http://lightningbondglue.com/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:49:55 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
Interesting, if it lasts that long, and is that useful, it sounds like a great investment. Thanks for the link, it sounds really impressive, I'll be sure to get some.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
I use 3M Scotch Weld PR100.
Best Cyanacrylate glue I ever found.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:50:17 AM »
Interesting topic here! My host father uses Gorilla Glue. He said that's the strongest one he knew a decade ago. I'm also looking for a good glue to fix a pair of shoes. Shoe Goo sounds good for this task.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 02:20:57 PM »
Today I got some super glue from the dollar store because my special (and expensive) plastic glue from UHU does not work for softer plastic/ harder rubber. During my apprenticeship for dental techniques I was taught how to apply glue correctly. It's a science of its own.

There are strong glues out there like epoxy glues with 2 components or as mentioned above Gorilla Glue.

What I found out today is, that you don't need to spend 4 bucks on a tiny tube of super glue that will harden within months. It has often happened to me that I used a drop only once and the glue inside the tube was hard by the second application.

The tube on the left was only 50 cents, the one on the right costs almost 10 times as much for ten times the amount, so they cost the same, but UHU Plast doesn't get the job done. So sometimes it matters which specific material you need to fix. The special plastic glue solves part of the rubber so it never cures.
Finding the right super glue isn't easy, that's why it's great that you started this topic, Mandalore25. Cheers!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:30:42 PM by Darth More »