Author Topic: Brian's Toys publishes story on Star Wars Collection Values  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Brian's Toys publishes story on Star Wars Collection Values
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I got this in today from a Brian's Toys Rep and thought the folks here would love the read!

Star Wars Action Figure Collection Value Increases 108,233%

DATELINE -- Brian Semling of Brian’s Toys, Inc. announced the “Brian’s Toys 12 Back Set Index” to reflect the retail value of the original 12 Star Wars action figures for toys in near mint to mint condition.  The original total retail value of these 12 toys was $24.00, or $2.00 per action figure in 1978 and has grown to a retail value of $26,000.00 in 2014. Semling made the announcement from his online store’s headquarters (Brian’s Toys) located in Fountain City, WI.

The first 12 Star Wars characters to be released as action figures were Ben Kenobi, C-3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Death Squad Commander, Han Solo, Jawa, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, R2-D2, Sand People, and Stormtrooper.   They are referred to as “12 Backs” because their packaging shows these first 12 figures pictured on the back of the cardboard packaging.   These figures are valuable because they are rare, sought after by avid collectors, and in pristine condition, which includes the original packaging. Semling knows that while market prices fluctuate and the value of many collectibles will never return a profit of any size, big gains are possible for knowledgeable collectors. 

Collect What You Love

Brian Semling was an avid Star Wars collector before he went into business in 1994. Semling leveraged his knowledge about collecting Star Wars Action Figures into the largest such business of its kind.  Brian’s Toys, Inc. did over $5 million in business in 2013. “Most people collect Star Wars Action Figures because they love the characters and the movies and those are absolutely the right reasons to collect,” Semling said. “But the potential for profits from a collection like this is certainly noteworthy and possible for collectors and news that we wanted to share.”

Assessing Condition

Owning old or even well preserved Action Figures is not enough. To assess and protect the condition of vintage action figures, Brian’s Toys turns to “Action Figure Authority” who is the recognized leader in the field of grading toys, to act as a reliable third party expert who could give an unbiased assessment of the item’s condition. Upon grading the Action Figures, Action Figure Authority encased the toys in a museum quality tamper-proof acrylic case.  On their 100-point scale, Action Figure Authority assigns each item an overall condition.

For the index, Semling has chosen a condition level of overall AFA (Action Figure Authority) 85, with sub-grades of the card, bubble, and figure of 85 as well. An AFA 85 figure with an unpunched card is very clean and an acceptable condition to almost any collector.  However, while overall AFA 95’s and 100’s do not generally exist, overall AFA 90’s do exist and the value of the 12 Back figures in AFA 90 condition is approximately double the value of an AFA 85.  Also, for the index, Semling has chosen the 12 standard release figures, not including more valuable variants like the Jawa with the plastic “vinyl” cape versus the more common cloth cape.  The index reflects 12 figures that a collector in 1978 could have obtained with relative ease and applies  a reasonably high condition standard. The value of the index climbs 100-300% from the standard index if one assumes an extraordinary condition of AFA 90 along with rarer early release versions of the packaging.

Assessing Value and Historical Trend

The Brian’s Toys 12 Back Set Index reflects retail pricing for the year indicated in AFA 85 unpunched condition.  The value of this set had reached $2,025.00 by October 1995.  By January 2000, this set had climbed to $5600.00.  In April 2005 the 12 Back Set had ascended to $12,200.00.  After a leveling off in value after the Great Recession, the set has more recently raced ahead to a value in September 2014 of $26,000.00.  The individual figures ranged from $100.00 for a C-3PO to $400.00 for a Han Solo in 1995 to $1,500.00 for a Death Squad Commander to $3,500.00 for a Luke Skywalker in 2014.  The variant Vinyl Cape Jawa, not included in the Brian’s Toys 12 Back Set Index, has climbed from $2.00 in 1978 to $4000.00 in 2000 to $12,000.00 in 2014.

The chart above illustrates the rise in value of the original “Brian’s Toys 12 Back Set Index” to reflect the retail value of the original 12 Star Wars action figures for toys in near mint to mint condition.  The values from 1978 to 2014 have increased an average of 108,233%. Individual figure value increases are detailed in the second chart.

About Brian’s Toys
Brian's Toys, Inc. specializes in Star Wars toys and provides a wide selection of toy collectibles to people around the world.  In addition to retailing toy collectibles, Brian’s Toys assists collectors in the evaluation and sale of their toy collections.

Each figure is still factory sealed in its original packaging, and has been encased in an acrylic display case to be graded and preserved. All 12 are seen here.

Brian's Toys 12 Back Set Index tracks the value of the original 12 Star Wars action figures over time. The first design of the card back (above) featured all 12 original Star Wars action figures, thus resulting in the term "12 back".

Offline bobcat

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Re: Brian's Toys publishes story on Star Wars Collection Values
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:15:45 AM »

those bubbles look a bit too clean for figures that old! i know they dont all go ugly yellow but i donno. either way thats insane! i saw that episode on the toy hunter were that rich guy bought a set of 12 backs for 26,000 or whatever it was. close to that number. that was just last year. a bit too rich for my blood..wait. A LOT too rich. haha

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »
Yes, I know those prices some of those figures are going for are insane. I don't know that I would pay those prices even if I had the money to spare.

Offline bobcat

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »
Yes, I know those prices some of those figures are going for are insane. I don't know that I would pay those prices even if I had the money to spare.

Honestly thats good to hear! the one guy i bought stuff off of on rebelscum told me he paid 1700 for a carded Yakface! i was beside myself! he said he ran into a little money so he could but still! i think i would put that to better use then a piece of plastic on a cardboard card. i dont care how rare it is, thats just nuts !haha

Offline Shiffer

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:15:42 AM »

Honestly thats good to hear! the one guy i bought stuff off of on rebelscum told me he paid 1700 for a carded Yakface! i was beside myself! he said he ran into a little money so he could but still! i think i would put that to better use then a piece of plastic on a cardboard card. i dont care how rare it is, thats just nuts !haha

I agree, that's a crazy amount of money. But then again, some people have cash to burn. More power to them, what ever makes them happy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:35:02 PM by Shiffer »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
Same here... I'll never understand why people  spend soo much money on any SW stuff (a single item).

But then again its the scalper jerks hoarding  all the stuff they can get an forcing you to pay astronomical prices. An I don't mean the modern stuff... The vintage. I "met" a "collector" once at a Con... Whom gloated about getting lots in auctions... "ya.. I paid nothin for that lot of SW toys and in the last month made close to $10,000 off it"

I see this guy's booth at every show now and he makes me sick. He goes by DAVE'S DARK SIDE COLLECTABLES or something.

Example: He had the worst condition loose yakface I've  ever seen... Chew marks, chips, multiple types of discoloration, etc. Etc. ("ya...I got over 8 of them") and he wanted like $257! I nearly laughed and  then tried to strike up conversation about how these should be re-released so everyone can have one... He just ignored me and while looking away stated while wheezing ... " ya that's what WE DON'T WANT" I wanted to punch the guy in his obese gut. These people are scum.