Author Topic: General Questions for Hasbro as of July 10th, 2021  (Read 97941 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: General Questions for Hasbro as of Toy Fair 2020
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2020, 01:32:29 AM »
You can still watch the presentation on Facebook with all the comments and reactions down below if you missed the event. Volker from StarWars-Figuren.com screen-recorded it for us to watch in case you won't find it later or Hasbro will just remove it from their Pulse page:

The Fan First Event begins at 4:34

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:34:00 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #361 on: June 23, 2020, 02:24:02 AM »
So here're my thoughts:

First off, I thnk it's wonderful that the Hasbro brand team for Star Wars host these Fan events and provide a dialogue with their fans and customers. I don't know Patrick and Emily personally, so I won't judge. I hadn't known Emily since yesterday. Have you known she's been a member for 11 years already?! Derryl and Steve left so I think I just have to get along with the fact that the brand team is different now.

The Vintage Collection

As a fan and collector of TVC I felt the last livestream was a waste of time. Didn't feel like it this time.

It was nice to see that they began with The Vintage Collection this time around. That was a nice dedication for a line that feels about to die, again. I hope they keep the dialogue with their fans even though only a few chosen ones of us are able to speak up. My messages would never get through their firewalls writing from outside the U.S. I love democracy!

Chirrut Îmwe

When he was rumored on Yakface.com it was a good day for me already! When I saw the first images last night, his headsculpt looked a litle off at first glance. But the figure looks solid over all and I hope the face will look as good as on Cara Dune for example. I just hope Chirrut will look as good as some other latest additions to TVC since he's one of my favorite characters of Rogue One. Great start!

Carbon Freezing Chamber Playset with Stormtrooper

It was great seeing Patrick having the box of the set in hand despite Corona. Well, maybe Hasbro can print a box sample on Rhode Island themselves and don't need China to do so. The playset itself reminds me of the TPM Naboo Final Duel playset from 1999. Yet, it looks a little scarce in my opinion. A panel and some tubes hanging from the ceiling would've been nice to make it feel more like a playset. To me it rather looks like a display piece. Hasbro could've done more, but I'm not complaining. At least we get stuff like this so amen. It was a smart move to give us the option to buy two sets to complete the circle and to have a complete freezing chamber. If they're even smarter they'll release a 2-Pack with a couple Ugnaughts and some accesories to add to this Playset similar to those Kmart exclusive Death Star Scaninng Crew sets...

It's probably no coincidence that they only include one army-builder with this set. So having an OT Stormtrooper WITH holster now is something many collectors have been hoping for. They just had to choose this one specific image for the cardback. I'm glad they actually did. The card looks great for this Bespin Stormtrooper. Han in carbon block will probably come as the only accessory in just a plastic bag.
So most of us will probably buy two of this set. If Hasbro won't add more accessories to it, I'll probably do so myself. Let's keep fingers crossed that they got Lobot, Ugnaughts and other characters from Cloud City on their radar now. I don't mind that we just get one figure included with this set this time if the MRSP will drop to $39.99, too.

Princess Leia (Hoth Escape)

I think Emily gave away quite a lot about how she thinks for the brand team. She said that she recognized that they didn't have a screen accurate Leia figure to add to the diorama. We call this "learning by doing" here in Germany. Is there no way that we can possibly get Princess Leia from A New Hope for hell's sake?! Do they have to build a diorama of the very first scene of STAR WARS before they realize how long overdue this character is?! I'll go shoot both of my knees, now!
They used the OTC Lobot for this shooting, which has got a great sculpt, but is not super-articulated. I remember getting him in an outlet toy store in New York for $4.99 back in 2005.

To be fair: The rendering of Bespin Escape Leia looks great so far! Again, if Hasbro is able to make all female characters look as excellent as Cara Dune, I'm all in for the eternal delay of updated Leia figures. "The later the better" seems to be the motto here.
But as funtomaz already wrote in a comment o JTA already: Why didn't they show us a figure that's further in development already? Fies and Hondo come to mind, but they probably save these for their cancelled show events like SDCC.
That Bespin Escape Leia looks like it is going to be a great figure. And it's OT! And I hope we'll also get ANH Leia, soon.

Next HasLab Project will be for The Vintage Collection!

With their mad love for The Black Series, I honestly expected Hasbro to dedicate the next HasLab project to The Black Series. It would've been fair in my opinion. However they teased that the next one will be for The Vintage Collection, again - the true scale to build worlds with vehicles and playsets ;)
My first guess was the Millenium Falcon, but it seems that TARGET will get the Falcon from Galaxy's Edge as a $399.99 exclusive item. Nothing was told about this rumor yesterday, but Yakface got all the insight.
So what could it be instead? I think it has to bee all-new and never been done before to apply to a HasLab, right? What about the Razor Crest? It'd be awesome if it was to scale. But isn't it too popular to become a HasLab project? Hasbro could sell enough Crests with a regular release, couldn't they?
Another hot candidate is the GHOST from REBELS right?

Personally, I'd go nuts for a modualar set of the Mos Eisley Cantina with different modules to add. Ot they'd just do a complete Cantina right away.

Another possibility is a Death Star playset. Or a Tantive IV / Star Destryoer playset? What do you think?

The Black Series

If every fan event was like yesterday's, fans of TBS and haters of TVC would know how TVC fans have been feeling over the years. I can just talk for myself and man am I happy to only collect select characters in 6". If I was a completist I would just go mad! More repacks for TBS! If you put it in a positive way: Hasbro gives you options! You can pick the nicest packaging design for your 20 -dollar-purchase. Personally, I'm so glad I didn't buy all the black and red boxes. The packaging keeps looking better and better.

Fan's Choice Winner for The Archive Line

I seriously wonder why Hasbro need a fan's choice poll to pick the next figure to add to their re-issue line. Are they that uncreative? It seems like they're aliens to their own brand. "Yeah guys, please tell us what to do because we ain't have a clue!"
We all know it was Leia (Slave Outfit), but since her costume doesn't fit into today's political correctness in times of Shades of Grey and other premium titles, she won't happen, again.
Because Disney.

Commander Cody however is an excellent choice. He's the one I hoped for to win. I always voted for Slave Leia just to challenge Lucasfilm/Disney and Hasbro.

So that's all I got to say about this...event.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:21:59 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #362 on: June 23, 2020, 07:03:41 AM »
Some good thoughts Philipp. I agree with most of your points. Here is what I am left with:

Carbon Freeze playset with no hook thingy for the carbonite block? Cmon man! And you have to buy two to get a complete playset? I can see this going on clearance quickly and then it will sell. I do like the Stormtrooper though. Lets hope that means more figures to go on this too. Maybe a deluxe set with a grapply thing down the road too. I can't see not having the grapple.

Meh, on the rest of the 40th Anvs. 6" figures. I will probably get em, but man all repacks.

Didn't take em long to recard the new Hoth Trooper too!

It was nice to get some new reveals and stuff though. I felt much better than last time and it was nice to see them understanding concerns about TVC. And Philipp I have been at this awhile with Hasbro and I sure didn't see that one gal till yesterday either!

It will be nice to see the new HasLab. Save your deniro people. Hope its a real size Razor Crest!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
Good points indeed Darth Moore. It wasn't disappointing, but the hype surrounding it was a bit much. TVC Monday, 3 reveals, TBS gets more reveals on a monthly basis, but I'm not complaining. There's a guy I listen to on YouTube, he's right on about rumors. He said, the carbon freezing chamber was a two parter. Little did I know it was the same thing you have to buy twice. It's a cool display piece, but the claw machine would have been cool. I guess from an engineering standpoint it really couldn't work, and still retain it's aesthetics. You know someone is going to make the claw machine. I probably will give it a try.

Chirrut looks awesome! Rocker ankles? hell yes please! Good accessories too. I was really hoping they would show Hondo, but I guess he's basically a scaled down version of the 6" exclusive.

Bespin escape Leia was on my wish list early on. We all knew it would be a kitbash, but a kitbash is better than a straight repack any day. Ball jointed hips would have been nice, but I'll take it.

I've heard rumors of a build up figure, but there is no consensus on whether it's TBS or TVC. I was hoping they would get to that but, next time I hope.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2020, 04:34:51 AM »
Fellow UK etailer Star Action Figures listed the Bespin Playset for pre-order. They got it for £44.95.

https://www.staractionfigures.co.uk/E9596.html

Tamer: Thanks Tamer! Today, I've learned that the Bespin Playset will also have a MRSP of $49.99. If it is almost $100 to have a complete platform, I agree that this is a joke! This display looks rather scarce and even on the cheap side. There are other toy companies that can sell an item like this for $24.99. I've seen bigger sets with better value for $14.99 just recently. Regardless of the high license fee, there must be a way to keep the price down. I will not pre-order this set at full price. The Jabba's playset got a much better value for the money.  It's almost unbelievable how cheap Hasbro was on this set. I don't hope they'll become like LEGO: zero content for a high price point. Some years ago they were like playmobil: much content with generous accessories for a fair price. To me playmobil still is the best toy manufacturer considering their stable price-value-ratio. And most items are sold even cheaper than the already fair MRSP here in Germany.

Talking Black Series: I think the Hoth Rebel Soldier is one brilliant figure! Didn't we all wish Hasbro would repack such excellent army-builders at least a trillion times? So far we got him on the 40th Anniversary ESB card, the black/red box and soon in the gorgeous new packaging design. I like it!
Also the Snowtrooper was a great choice. The ANH images for the 40th ESB cards on the other hand are just embarrassing!

JDeck: Thank you, JD! I absolutely agree with you on the hype before this Fan First Monday...especially because Mr Steve Evans himself announced it to be the event of the year for The Vintage Collection. It has gone pretty far.
lol you're right on TBS - TBS collectors must feel like 3 3/4" collectors between 2006-2012 right now! It just keeps getting better and better.
Who's this guy you listen to on YouTube?

I followed a recommendation in a FB group and watched the video of RetroBlasting about the Bespin set:

It's ridiculous that this thing should cost $49.99 with just one figure and NO accessories! This is not what we meant when we suggested modular sets right? Maybe we forgot different modular sets to combine...good greef are they greedy nowadays!

Yeah, Chirrut deserves rocker-ankles. So does Leia her ball-jointed hips. And Hondo would be a win if they just scaled don the 6" version.

Some 6 inchers dream of a Rancor as build-up figure. My question is: how would parts of a Rancor fit into the new TBS boxes?
I'm pretty sure that build-a-figure idea goes to The Black Series - just like they do with other 6" figures i.e. MARVEL. If the Vintage Collection goes on hiatus in some years (decade?), a return of The Legacy Collection would be nice. We both agreed earlier that TLC has just more options and liberties.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:44:59 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
I just got this in from Entertainment Earth based on a previous order with a small refund

"The R2-D2 action figures in this assortment may have damaged packaging. Unfortunately, Hasbro does not have replacements available at this time. To our knowledge and based on the way this wave was manufactured, all units available in this wave in the United States are in this condition."

WTH Hasbro? Repacks on damaged cards and you still shipped em out?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
I just got word that I am part of a Q and A with Hasbro next Thursday.

I have to get em five good questions by Monday at 4PM.

Anyone have any good questions for Hasbro?

And I just put product announcements on the front pages for three new items in case you haven't seen em yet.

Of course all this would go down today when I am so busy! Oh well, new stuff is always good news. Tamer out!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »
Preselected questions, what is this a Joe Biden interview? A lot of my questions end up being suggestions, and I don't think that's the purpose of the qna. I would ask about brick and mortar distribution, but that dead horse has been beaten into the ground, and preordering has become mandatory. 

How bout, how do preoders sell out so quickly?
Why do preorders sell out so quickly on pulse?
What are the real advantages of a pulse account?
Is pulse directly tied to Hasbro, or is it just another online retailer?
How come you can't buy full cases on pulse?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: General Questions for Hasbro as of July 10th, 2021
« Reply #368 on: July 10, 2021, 07:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the questions JDeck. And yes, they started this back a few years ago. I am guessing they were lambasted a few times and don't want surprises.

You would be quite correct on the distribution question. It has been asked and asked and asked again.

One question I do want to follow up with them on is about the shipping of vintage figures on amazon and wal-mart. I had asked them the last time if there is anything they could do to get amazon to ship their products in boxes, not envelopes as things were arriving damaged and they said they would pass that on, but wondering how they address those things with their etailers. I have a feeling once amazon or walmarts get em they could care less.

Is anyone like me wondering if we are going to get the real Bad Batch in the vintage collection?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:26:06 AM by Tamer »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
Yes, please ask for the Bad Batch! It's a no-brainer to not make them in TVC as well.

When I found the 4-Pack on Amazon Spain yesterday, I noticed that it was listed as SW VIN EPIC.

1. This makes me wonder if this is a code for a sub-assortment for TVC. If there are more EPIC Packs like this, it would open many more possibilities to give consumers a kind of Battle Pack as we used to have until the Movie Heroes line. That'd be my question.

2. Is there any chance to finally see Satele Shan from The Old Republic in TVC (and Black Series) Gaming Greats? She would be the perfect counterpart of Darth Malgus (VC96).

3. Is an all-new Darth Revan figure now coming to the Gaming Greats line of The Vintage Collection?
The Black Series got 3 full runs (including the latest update for the Archive Line) and even a Jedi version of Revan so far! 

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 09:29:33 AM by Darth More »

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #370 on: July 10, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Preselected questions, what is this a Joe Biden interview? A lot of my questions end up being suggestions, and I don't think that's the purpose of the qna. I would ask about brick and mortar distribution, but that dead horse has been beaten into the ground, and preordering has become mandatory. 

How bout, how do preoders sell out so quickly?
Why do preorders sell out so quickly on pulse?
What are the real advantages of a pulse account?
Is pulse directly tied to Hasbro, or is it just another online retailer?
How come you can't buy full cases on pulse?

Lol my questions would be…

Why do preorders sell out right away
Do you have any measures to ensure fair access to ordering preorders?
Are bots ordering from your online stores/channels
Are you aware of scalpers
Why not make your products more accessible if you sell them online anyways?
Whats the point of online exclusives?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #371 on: July 10, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »
   Any exclusives are dumb. If Retailers were competative and kept their inventory stocked they wouldn't need exclusives to get people to buy from them.

Im pretty bitter about the Emperors throne room being an SDCC/Pulse premium club member exclusive. You pay all that money for a slim chance of getting these exclusives that should be mainstream releases. I can see the Dave Filoni pilot, ill give them that, but the other two. That's just wrong man. In a standing position my little 5poa forcelink emperor, looks way better with sculpted robes. The soft goods look like he's wearing a trashbag.  If the throne was standard id buy it with bells on. My only hope is the rerelease it, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'll probably go out of my way not to buy the single carded emperor just out of spite. Yeah i can be petty, but it's just wrong to make the throne so unattainable, therefore making the soft goods pointless, for a vast majority of us. That's my occasional rant.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:05:48 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »
I absolutely agree with you JDeck! There is much to be asked about the actual purpose and advantages of a Hasbro Pulse membership. So they charge you a premium of $50 every year. That's actually a pretty expensive lottery ticket.

There's much potential still not used by Hasbro. And I'm excited to hear their answer to your excellent questions.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #373 on: July 10, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
  I think pulse is a big time scam. You pay $50 (I thought it was more, but still) you get "free shipping for the first year", which means after the first year you pay for shipping. Access to these stupid exclusives, like the sdcc and the dumb fan choice figure, that will probably sell out instantaneously. Which is dumb because they can figure they have X amount of members and Y amount of star wars buyers, we should pre-preorder Y amount of figures, but no! They're the first ones to sell out, so you still have to buy from someplace else all the while paying the stupid fee. Screw that. I have been getting free Amazon for several years, but finally had to pay $115, but that's okay because I'm actually able to use it and it pays for itself. Pulse does not. I could use that $50 add it to the cost of the throne room playset and buy it on ebay, at least ill have a better chance of getting it.  I would be very surprised if they answer any real questions. That's why it's all preselected so they don't look stupid in front of their shareholders.  If they answer the question Id be willing to listen with an open mind. Pulse has potential, but they aren't using it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:01:30 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #374 on: July 15, 2021, 08:21:25 AM »
Here is my quick typed version to the answers Hasbro gave me, but I will have a video link from the full conversation when Hasbro releases it so you can see the full dialogue. One had to remember that they are not allowed to really talk about future products, but they do give a lot of hints and really you can read between the lines on some of these future coming products.

Questions for the Star Wars Brand Team

1. We asked a previous question about seeing some serious damage on vintage products shipped by Amazon? Did you get any feedback from them about how they are shipping your products? Please can we get them to ship in boxes instead of envelopes? We need to add Wal-Mart to that list now too!

They do take our shipping concerns to the etailers and are constantly working with them and us to get us undamaged products.

2. We were surprised at how quickly your Bad Batch Vintage 4 Pack sold out and were glad to hear there were going to be more offered down the road. Is it a no brainer to assume you are going to do a Bad Batch Vintage 4 Pack or Battlepack that actually has our Bad Batch Squad in the 3.75" line? You could even do a separate pack with Crosshair and some of the bad guys!

They said they were not allowed to comment on upcoming products, but it was definitely on their radar. I definitely got the feeling this was going to happen.

3. We got this from quite a few people; Can Hasbro please go back to using heavier card stock on the VC figures please?

They kind of shared this when I was talking about the shipping damages from walmart and amazon, but they did reveal they were going back to heavier cardstock for figures.

4. Is there a plan to continue/complete the Retro line of figures? If so, how often can we expect new releases?

They didn't give me any timetable to how often we can expect new releases, but they did say they loved the line and it will definitely continue.

5. Can we get more funky background aliens. With Ponda Baba and Dr Ez coming soon we need more!

There were quite a few questions and answers regarding this new set (please watch the video when it releases) and I immediately followed up with how we need all the great aliens. You will be able to tell by their comments that we will be getting more of these backgroudn aliens for our Cantina and I bet even more cantina pieces.

6. Is pulse directly tied to Hasbro, or is it just another online retailer?

It is tied directly to Hasbro and they use their experiences there to try and make products better for the fans and the other etailers that are selling their products. I definitely encouraged them to share their shipping practices with walmart and amazon so we didn't keep getting damaged products.