Author Topic: WHY do you customize?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Re: WHY do you customize?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
I started with customs when I saw first pictures of a Clone Assassin. I thought Hasbro will never bring out this figure so I made it by myself.

Offline bly272

• some nights I lie in bed and look up at the stars wondering: where the heck has the ceiling gone?"
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
me... I began customizing after I started customizing lego clones.  I saw what wraithnine could do and I was amazed!  I decided to try it and it was really cool.  so here I am a customizer.   ;)
"You could start a whole new Imperial custom. 'Dance, fool, dance!' Zap, zap, zap! 'Ow, my toe!'"
-Jaina Solo, making fun of Jagged Fel for accidentally shooting his deputy minister of trade in the foot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »
Welcome Bly. I haven't had a chance to say hello yet.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
Why? C'mon guys, we all know there is no why!

;D  :P

Ok, I'll bite  ;) Just read through the other replies and they make this a very interesting thread altogether.

Back in 2005 I joined TheJawa, which had a very solid customizing section. Back then I didn't even know such a thing existed! But Hasbro's tardiness in releasing a Galactic Marine made me do some research on the matter. I started lurking the customizing section there and read all of the tutorials on FFURG. In spring 2006 I took a small leap, bought some Citadel paints and made my own Galactic Marine.

So I customized it because Hasbro hadn't made one yet.

However, as you all know, customizing doesn't stop with one figure. As was also the case for me. I tried to improve on my Marine design, but when Hasbro finally released their Marine (which, apart from the silly feet, is an awesome trooper) I shifted my focus on other characters. Comic book characters and fan fic ones. And now I don't customize something, because it hasn't been produced yet, but just for the fun of it.

And it has gotten kinda out of hand I must admit. From one single Galactic Marine, my new hobby practically went to warp 9 hyperspeed to encompass lots of WIP figures, sculpting, dioramas, vehicles and contests!

I have sold a few of my early customs on ebay for a couple of bucks, but I'm not running a business. I'm too slow for that, and time's always an issue. Occasionally I make a commissioned figure for a fellow board member, but that's about it.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
The reason I started customizing was basically this website itself.

It all started back when I joined.  I enjoyed looking at the pages everyday and thought it would be cool to join in on the fun.  So I went out, bought some paint, and here I am now.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
I started at about 7 yrs old using lots of broke SW and later GI Joe figs... about 3o yrs ago.
Models and paint and making new stuff out of old came natural... what you used got more complex as you got older.
Kind of quit in 1997 being in the army without much free time and all that. but started MOC collecting, and what was opened was special and displayed.
I did a little looking around for a few years and always thought I could get back into this, but never really did until 2007 after getting back from my 2nd trip to Iraq.
Just something to help me relax, and make or fix whatever stuff hasbro wouldnt. From comics or novels or just whatever seemed cool at the time.
I know I havent posted pics of anything here, but eventually I should get around to figuring out the easiest way to get some up here.
Its funny that part of my job is computers and such, but posting pics here is really hit or miss with me. Got it to work a few times, but it was harder than a 30 day FTX at NTC for me. No digital patience on my part.

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
why do I customize?

well it's my creative outlet

I love toys and it double as loving art too

and I'm damn awesome at it 

;D

seriously, I mostly customize Star Wars and GIJoe action figures but there are occasional other lines I dabble in.  Then beyond that, I paint and make projects of random other non-toy stuff too, including a bit of small statuary and a couple Christmas ornaments before this year, so it really IS an all around hobby for me.  I'm proud of my talents.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »
why do I customize?

;D

seriously, I mostly customize Star Wars and GIJoe action figures but there are occasional other lines I dabble in.  Then beyond that, I paint and make projects of random other non-toy stuff too, including a bit of small statuary and a couple Christmas ornaments before this year, so it really IS an all around hobby for me.  I'm proud of my talents.

LMAO if there was a smiley with a head that swells and then pops i would use it for this comment very funny indeed....

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline SithLord229

• Lieutenant
  • "Fire the big boob nipple gun!"
    • Star Wars Figure Reviews
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »
It's nice to be able to create what Hasbro can't be arsed, or don't have the common sense to create themselves.

"Give yourself to the Dark Side"- http://www.YouTube.com/SithLord229

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »
why do I customize?

;D

DOn't forget your army of miniature dwarves, :)

Offline clones are awesome

• Commander
  • fear! fear attracts the fearful fear is my aly.
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »
The reason I customize is I got bored one day and decided to paint one of my clones and now I am an  addict  to customizing.   :D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
From one single Galactic Marine, my new hobby practically went to warp 9 hyperspeed to encompass.....

lol good catch.... ;)

I think once someone does finaly make a custom figure it imediately becomes an adiction.  To be able to make something that can not only be a work of art but also a fully functional TOY... well... it simply rules!  at least in my book.

I used to oil paint for a little while, and although it satisfied my creative outlet for a little while it just wasn't satisfying.  Once a painting is finished all you can do is look at it...  I missed the kind of awesome feeling I got from doing stuff like building potato guns, where not only can you create something, but that something actually has a function!  of course, action figures can't blow stuff up... but I can make believe.... :)

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
I customize to catch up on the series of the clone wars and to make my own clones. smtie

Offline ArctrooperDrew

• Cadet
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
I do it more for the fact I get to create the clones name and backstory.  I always enjoyed fan fiction and this is my way of doing my own fan fiction. 

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
Yeah fan fiction is what i mean and the series