Author Topic: BS #14 6 inch Clone Trooper (Phase I / AotC)  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
BS #14 6 inch Clone Trooper (Phase I / AotC)
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
The promo pictures of the Black Series #14 6" Clone Trooper (Phase I) got the better of me and persuaded me to order a pair from an Asian eBay seller. Overpriced, but still cheaper for me than buying them from Dutch (r)etailers. I received them in pristine condition and within a week after payment.

Sculpt: at first glance the trooper looks a bit bulky. But after eyeing him more closely, the sculpt is really decent. The black body suit has a few folds, all in the right place. It also features a subtle texture. The body armour is pretty close to the mark, as far as I can tell. The belt is very well detailed (and on my troopers positioned correctly :p ). Details on the helmet and on the panel on the back are crisp and clean.

Paint: safe for the body suit, the standard Phase I grunt is white, of course. However, Hasbro applied subtle paint apps on various details, such as the back straps of the knee pads, the soles of the boots and of course the helmet. But they didn't apply it in a very tidy manner. On each of my two figures, I could spot numerous areas where the paint just missed the edges of the details. It's like decals applied just off centre. This has fast become a trend in Hasbro's figures, from 3 3/4" to 6" scale. Hopefully, this will be addressed soon. The 6" figures still are action figures and we can't really expect Sideshow, Hot Toys or Gentle Giant quality paint apps on a $20 figure, but a little bit more effort isn't too much to ask, I think. Lastly, I think it's strange that the body suit has a semi gloss finish, while the visor is flat black.

Articulation: the Clone Trooper has 14 points of articulation: ball jointed head, shoulders, wrists, waist and hips, double jointed elbows and knees and rocker ankles. This allows for the trooper to be placed in many positions, but I have found serious limitations as well, due to the way certain areas were sculpted.

In the next picture I have marked the areas which limit articulation. My biggest gripe is that the head can look down perfectly, but hardly up. Not at all, as a matter of fact. This is caused by the back armour. Another area of concern are the elbows. Again, the armour makes it hard to get some really cool blaster handling or signaling positions of the arms. The same goes for the thighs, making kneeling positions a bit awkward, although I did manage.

The shoulder armour is a real pain. Look at this picture: this is the maximum lift of the arm. Ephialtes, hello?!

It's a matter of sculpt accuracy versus posability, I guess. As a customizer, I have already thought about taking care of some of these areas. Shouldn't be too hard and yes, sculpt accuracy will be lost somewhat, but I'm willing to accept that.

Accessories: the Clone Trooper comes with a whopping two accessories, namely his trusted DC-15S blaster and the larger DC-15A blaster rifle. Both are finely detailed, but lack any kind of detailed painting. On top of that, the blasters are made of the softer type of plastic. The blasters are straight, don't get me wrong, but I prefer weapons to be molded in hard, unbendable plastic.

It might come across as if I don't like this figure at all and I must admit, when I had just unpacked them, I was a tad disappointed. But having handled them extensively for the photoshoot, trying to pose them in various positions, the Clone Trooper has already grown on me. A lot. In that I need more. With some careful modifications, these can go from nice looking troopers, to pretty darn good ones. If you have the space, it's definitely an army builder and being all white, an excellent template for making your own Clone officers. Except for the sarge, because Hasbro has him already lined up in a future wave.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: BS #14 6 inch Clone Trooper (Phase I / AotC)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »
Wow, this review is so good I am making myself late to work. I will get a button made soon, but on the front page.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

At the top of the review section. I really enjoyed reading this review. Almost made myself late for work doing it!

Gonna have to pick one of these up now. I agree with your first glance statement as to me it looks a little buff too, but seeing your images the more I look at em the better they get. I had a chance to pick one of these up at a decent price at a con I want too a few weeks ago and am now wishing I had. You know they will make tons of repaints off of this one too. And of course a Phase II version down the road. One of the cool things we did find out is they are making a six inch Cody too so that will be great too.

Thanks again for the review Remco. I really like your writing style and graphic work. I can't wait to see if you do any more!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
Thanks again for the review Remco. I really like your writing style and graphic work. I can't wait to see if you do any more!

Thanks Tamer, my pleasure. You can send any figures you want reviewed my way  ;D

I'll probably write a few more. Got those 6" STs in transit, as well as TBS Ree Yees.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
Awesome to hear, you know what I wonder how your great custom image (Mr. Black Customs) would work on one of those buttons. I guess it might be too small, but if you send it to me (psd) I would love to try it out.

Really enjoying reading your reviews and even talked about em on CAFN last night.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Awesome to hear, you know what I wonder how your great custom image (Mr. Black Customs) would work on one of those buttons. I guess it might be too small, but if you send it to me (psd) I would love to try it out.

Really enjoying reading your reviews and even talked about em on CAFN last night.

PSD sent through e-mail, Shawn :)

And thanks for mentioning the reviews on CAFN. I watched the first half hour or so early this morning and will watch the rest tonight.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:03:05 AM »
Thanks for watching.

Maybe you ought to come on each episode and do a quick figure review!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:35:21 AM »
Great review Remco! Man, those wonderful pics you took are just what we need to see. If I see this one, I will pick it up.

The kashyyyk trooper looked a lot like a biker scout, didn't it?
There is a straight repaint they could do to fill their 6 inch clone trooper ranks.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:56 AM »
Great review Remco! Man, those wonderful pics you took are just what we need to see. If I see this one, I will pick it up.

The kashyyyk trooper looked a lot like a biker scout, didn't it?
There is a straight repaint they could do to fill their 6 inch clone trooper ranks.

Thanks Clint, I had fun taking the pics and writing the review.

The Kashyyyk Trooper and Biker Scout do look similar. The helmets are different in design, for sure, and maybe there are a few other minor differences.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:36:47 AM »
Thanks for watching.

Maybe you ought to come on each episode and do a quick figure review!

Finished watching and listening last night. It's cool to get to know the people behind the customizer's alias :D And Tim hooked me up with some of those Marvel Legends ladies, so it's nice to see who he is as well. Cool interview and I immediately created and Instagram account for Mr. Black's Customs ;)

On topic: I like doing these reviews. Did some way back when the TAC came out. But I think I don't buy enough of the newly released figures to contribute on a regular basis.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Maybe it could be as special Mr. Black attacks segment when you have things you feel are worth showing.