Author Topic: Experiments in Sculpting  (Read 1464 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Experiments in Sculpting
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
So I'm fascinated by peoples' ability to recreate things they've seen, whether through the use of making resin and latex molds, vacuum molding, or even good old-fashioned sculpting itself.
To that end, I decided to run a series of experiments to see if I could recreate a few different 1:18 scale figure heads.

For my first experiment, I started with the hypothesis that I could use Sculpy® to both make a mold and to fill the mold. Concerns going in was that the Sculpy mold wouldn't retain an accurate copy of the figure's likeness, or that the mold itself would be ruined in the process.

I started with a Captain America: The Winter Soldier Red Skull head.

Then, I made the mold in two halves, for easier removal.

Then, I cured it in the toaster oven. (Bake at 275 °F (130 °C) for 15 minutes per 1/4 in (6 mm) thickness.)

After that, I filled the cooled mold with fresh Sculpy and repeated the curing process, albeit with vegetable oil slathered into the interior of the mold for easier removal.

After that, I removed the mold and scraped away the excess Sculpy.

RESULTS: The mold was indeed ruined in the process, as it stuck together regardless of the vegetable oil (though it DID produce the most remarkable, shall we say, aroma in my kitchen, which I am not sure I'm going to quickly be able to get out of there. Kinda like slow-baked tennis shoes.)

The likeness, while INCREDIBLY detailed, was scrunched beyond usefulness, as the initial mold became warped when removing it from the figure head.

SO: Hypothesis correct, concerns also correct. If I had a stronger substance than Sculpy to make my mold with, one that wouldn't stick to the final building material or become warped, it would have worked PERFECTLY.
I have now discovered one way to not correctly make an action figure headsculpt.

Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well, Doctor Zola.

Next up, I will repeat my process, with a figure with broader facial features.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Experiments in Sculpting
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
Well that was a cool experiment. Thanks for documenting it and sharing it with us. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
Have to agree with Tamer this was a cool experiment and I hope it works for you.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
That's a cool experiment. I've never used it but Woodland scenics makes this gel that air dries you can make copies with. Or you can use an air dry clay or epoxy but you would have to make sure it doesn't permanently stick. I don't know how much help it is but good luck.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
Here's something for you to try. 

Use clay or sculpy like you are doing to create the initial mold by pressing the face into it.  Then pour in 2 part resins and let those self harden in the clay or sculpy.  You'll likely destroy the mold in the process of de-molding and removing the case but it should give you a pretty good likeness.

I did this with mando armor at some point, just pressed the front of a boba into some modeling clay and pulled it strait off to create an imprint mold, then poured resin into the mold and voila, instant armor. 

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
I've been looking to get into experimenting with resin. Thanks for the tip!
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.