Author Topic: Interested in starting to learn casting  (Read 799 times)

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
Interested in starting to learn casting
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
So I've been sculpting with sculpey for years making little customized items out of the clay. Recently I've been trying to get some items created for replacement ATAT  [at1] parts (1990's version ear flare/chin guns/ear clip that holds the ear gun) and a buddy said I should take one and make casts from it.

Now... I know there are different types of mold making/casting like Resin and laytex I'd prefer to learn the basics and go from there. I was told there are different types of plastic to cast with like Resin that's white or clear I think and to do some backyard casting with Lego tries. I tried YouTube but the molding/casting video's I've found are more advanced and while I do want to get there I'm looking for more starter instructions for casting such as materials and proceedures.

I know we have some fantastic casters here at the shipyards and I was hoping someone could show me or nudge me in the right direction, heck I'd take hand written instructions if nudging isnt enough. So I'm wondering if anyone can lend an assist? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Interested in starting to learn casting
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »
I hear you on the potf2 at-at parts. If you can find em on the bay they are as high as trying to just buy another walker. I would love to buy some of the parts you are talking about.

As for casting our resident genius Clonehead is sure an expert as is Sith Fire 30. I know Spry, Doc Outlands, I-am-Bob-Fett, and a few others here do too. We also did a podcast on CAFN about the molding and casting process too with some of those same experts.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/CAFN/cafn37to42.html

It is the one on the bottom right.