Author Topic: spuda's 1/12 (6") vehicles (ATRT)  (Read 8679 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: spuda's 1/12 (6") vehicles (ATRT)
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
That's pretty awesome SF. Sorry if I missed it but how is the leg articulation?

the leg articulation works well enough.  it's hard to get it to stay solid in every pose, but most hold up ok.  I'm thinking that when I spray paint this it will add some strength to the joints as well. 

I will take a video of the final piece to showcase exactly how it all works.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

and tomorrow I paint...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »
Daggone, but this looks good on our front page. Devin, you really ought to design program this and get this to a 3D Printer. You could sell thousands of these. With your scratch building skills I could easily see you buying a 3D Printer and making a few of these. How many parts would you say you have created for this? I guess I could see that number being high. Still, it would be cool to see a ton more of these in all the great paint markings we saw in TCW. Definitely one of your best scratch building efforts since I have known you!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
thanks tamer.   I would agree with you that this is probably the best, and most extensive scratch build I've ever done.  Usually I tend to rush these kinds of projects, and this one has been a slower more patient endeavor.  and I think that shows.  It also helps to have a physical reference to work from.  I'm using the revel 1:18th scale model kit as a reference (I'm sure you've noticed it in the photos) instead of just photos.  Having a 3d model to rotate, move and take measurements from helps me visualize what I need to build. 

I haven't yet decided on a color scheme for the final product yet... but I think I'm going to go with the kashyyyk color scheme as seen in the movies, grey and green. 

As for the individual parts,  the individual pieces are the feet, 3 leg sections, the hip joint, and then the largest piece is the body.  There's also the gun.   The body could be constructed into separate pieces, the main body and then the two armor shields on both sides, and then the foot pedals.

I will try and record a short video showcasing all the small details when I get it finished. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
I would love to see you hook up with someone like Jrny Fan and get this mapped out. I wonder if there is any way to 3D Scan this? Just an awesome creation. I too would go with the movie color scheme.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
I would love to see you hook up with someone like Jrny Fan and get this mapped out. I wonder if there is any way to 3D Scan this? Just an awesome creation. I too would go with the movie color scheme.

Idk, but if you are going to go to the trouble of 3d scanning something I'd scan the revel kit and just upscale it to the right size digitally. then you'd get a more accurate piece.  YOu could also scan each piece before it was assembled so you could 3d print the entire model kit joints and all...

so paint...   I've got a base of grey down, now to detail it.  I was going to go with a movie version like this one:

But I found this great custom version of the model kit that I liked:

and then there is the first at-rt toy's sceme which is a little crazy if you ask me:

and even still are the TCW versions of the toy...  (no links sorry) but I definitely don't want to do the desert deco version or the 501st version.

I've about decided on the first reference image, closer to the revel model kit's paint scheme with heavy weathering added.   But I do like the idea of adding more camo to it....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
finished!   With the added layers of spray paint in the joints I am able to get a much sturdier range of poses out of the figure.  With a total of 9 points of articulation in the legs, and an additional 2 points in the chin gun, this is a nicely articulated final piece.

I also took an extra step to add an LED light to the chin gun, the batteries for which are hidden behind one of the armor siding pieces. 

Check it out for yourself:

well, what do you guys think?  I still haven't printed off any decals for it yet.  I plan on doing at least a couple control panel decals and at least a few "not a step" and "danger" decals in arubesh (star wars) font! 

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
Great job now make 10,000 more and start selling them

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »
It's super awesome man! Like I've said before, you're one of the best builders out there.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »
Thanks Krztfr and clonesniper78.  I appreciate the kind comments.  Kreztfr, the time and effort put into just building this one is enough for me...  If someone did figure out a good way to 3d print a version like this though I bet it'd sell great!

Heres another couple fun pictures I forgot:

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »
Just sensational work mate everything from the parts you used to the paint apps and weathering are top notch.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »
My comments are on the front page. I will get that video featured sometime this week too. Just outstanding work Devin. You really nailed all phases of this.

Offline rex smoke

• A Droid's Worst Nightmare
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »
This is amazing. REALLY amazing. I think I am going to try and make a walker. havent decided on an AT-RT or an AT-ST yet though.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
Stunning work Devin, absolutely stunning!