Author Topic: spuda's 1/12 (6") vehicles (ATRT)  (Read 8676 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
spuda's 1/12 (6") vehicles (ATRT)
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
I decided that with the new speeder bike and scout trooper coming out for the 6inch black series line (which I've yet to get, but will be) there needed to be some other vehicles. 

Inspired by the massive 6 inch scale at-st that another forum member built out of cardboard I started my own cardboard project today. 

Here's what I've gotten so far:

more pics on my facebook page as the work progresses... and I'll post the final pictures here whenever I get this finished.

any ideas for another vehicle project anyone?  I was already thinking about a landspeeder of somekind maybe...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:45:40 PM by spudafett »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: spuda's 1/12 (6") vehicles
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
Wow, now this is such a great idea! I have really thought about running a small six inch vehicle custom contest and maybe I can add that idea to the next poll.

Off to share. I can't wait to see what this turns into.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »
Are you keeping it clonewars style or making it more realistic?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »

I moved the pedals to the backwards position instead of out front, I feel like this is a more comfortable looking positioning...   

How do you mean "realistic" vs "clone wars"? 

I was going to incorporate some various elements into this that the CW version didn't have.  Including articulated maneuvering vanes, air brakes, a storage compartment, a holster, and a custom slave 1 inspired paint job...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
progress....  I decided to keep things as simple as possible.  I had enough trouble as it was with trying to get the frame built correctly and the foot pedals and handle bars to work right.   I didn't try and make the stabilizing vanes maneuverable. 

I did however get a compartment built into the back of it... more pics of that when it's done...

here's pre-paint:

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Looking good Devin. I've been thinking of converting my Halo jeep into a speeder. It has an open cockpit and a cool looking body. With the gun in the back it could be a Mando ride.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:24:10 PM »

I moved the pedals to the backwards position instead of out front, I feel like this is a more comfortable looking positioning...   

How do you mean "realistic" vs "clone wars"? 

I was going to incorporate some various elements into this that the CW version didn't have.  Including articulated maneuvering vanes, air brakes, a storage compartment, a holster, and a custom slave 1 inspired paint job...

I mean is it in the cartoony simplistic style of the clonewars or realistic like belonging to the movies with more details

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:53:39 AM »
Looking good. I can't wait to see the final reveal.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
finished:

I decided that since I have my pre-vizla 6inch custom that going with the clone wars color scheme and style only made sense for this project.  Eventually I'll make boba his own custom speeder as well....

Hard to tell, but a section comes off of the back to reveal a compartment (hasn't been painted on the inside, oops)...

I should have used a paint pen or a sharpie to do the detail lines... but I couldn't help but challenge myself to freehand everything.  I spray painted the grey basecoat, but the blue and black is all brushed on by hand...  you can tell in the closeups, but I think it turned out ok.  I can always re-paint it later!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
Wow, that turned out nice! Off to share.

Boy do we need more things like this for our six inch figures.

Offline CloneTroopr

• Commander
    • CloneTroopr's Customs FaceBook Page
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »
Very NICE! :) Feeling a bit jealous, hahah.

Customs Thread: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7528.0
FaceBook Page: CloneTroopr's Customs

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
Nice
Is it hard going from action figures to vehicle buidls?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
Nice
Is it hard going from action figures to vehicle buidls?

It is definitely different.  That's a hard question though... since I feel like my first customs were vehicle model kits building the vehicles is almost easier in my mind.   That being said, I feel that way on builds like this where there aren't any or very few moving parts.  The last vehicle I attempted from scratch was a walker, and when I got to the legs I quit because I couldn't solve the articulation issues. 

Figures offer a whole different set of challenges than a vehicle build.  But, what I like most about a build like this is that it is 100% from scratch.  I didn't need to buy anything for it.  I didn't need to sacrifice something else for it.  I used cardboard, wire, a few plastic pieces of model kit sprues, styrene and a plastic for sale sign. 

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »
Great work mate you did one hell of a job.

Ron

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
Sometimes I have an idea and I sit on it for literally YEARS before actually executing it in a way that is satisfying.  A long time ago I attempted to scratch build an AT-PT in 1:18th scale using lego parts and styrene.  The thing came out as to be expected, after all it was only my 2nd scratch built vehicle. 

The idea I've been sitting on for years however is the way I constructed the legs.  Using lego technic ball joints for the articulation.  It worked extremely well....   having this idea in the back of my head I bought a "hero factory" dragon that was clearanced at wal-mart almost 6 months ago now.  it's been sitting in my fodder box for months waiting for me to use the parts to finish work on the scratch built walker I was working on from the new rebels cartoon...   with that vehicle getting an official release I quit working on the project and the parts have sat unused...

Unitl now.  Using the ball joints (cut up and re-worked) from the hero factory dragon I've started building a 6" scale At-Rt...   here's what I've got so far:

It's taken me almost 5 hours just to get to this point... it's been a lot of trial and error and gluing/regluing to get everything to work the way I wanted it to.  But the hardest part is done, building the framing for the legs.  Now I just need to flesh them out with some details and build the main body of the walker.  The trick will be to keep the body light enough that the legs can support it...

I can't wait to get this one finished.   I feel like I've finally found the perfect way to showcase the idea of using those lego ball joints in a walker build!