Author Topic: A preview of a sci-fi comic I'm working on!  (Read 1516 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
A preview of a sci-fi comic I'm working on!
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Howdy once again, folks, it's your friendly neighborhood Smeagol. i've been working on a project called Science Team Tau for the better part of two years now, and after numerous false starts and dead ends, I'm FINALLY starting in earnest.
Here's a preview of a couple of panels!

To make these, I start out with a basic storyboard, then I go into Sketchup to produce the models I need for spaceships, backgrounds, props, things like that. I'm no good at creating ships on my own, but there are tons of highly talented artists on Sketchup's warehouse that put their works out there for anyone to use (with proper attribution, of course).
After I get the models staged how I want them, I export the image to Photoshop and do things like lighting, special effects, and draw my characters, text, and other things on top of the artwork. Then, I simply save it all down into a manageable .png file and presto! A page complete. These three panels are only part of the first page, and it's without a doubt one of the most visually complex, yet rewarding projects I've ever undertaken. I've had more fun producing each of these frames than just about any other comic I've done.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:04:50 PM by smeagol92055 »
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: A preview of a sci-fi comic I'm working on!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:55 AM »
Very nice. Let me take this to the front page. I can't wait to see that first chapter.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
Looks great to start!

All I can say is good luck. I have several pages from a comic attempt and I just can't see how I could ever finish it.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
So as I'm making the comic (and I realize that the forum generally frowns upon having multiple threads devoted to one topic, but I'd like to have this thread be about the concept work while the other actually have the comic itself in it,) I'm having to take a LOT of action figure photography! Figures make the very best models for things, I've found. Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of shots that I've taken as reference pieces. Enjoy!

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
From my most recent page, here are the progress/model shots!

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm using Mattel's DC Multiverse General Zod as the model for the President, and while he cuts an imposing figure, when placed alongside his Hasbro compatriots, there is a bit of a scale issue. Namely, while Terrance Stamp (the actor who played Zod) and Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin) are both exactly six feet tall in real life, Hasbro and Mattel don't use the exact same standard for their 1:18 scale lines, which leads to Zod being about a head and a half taller than Tarkin.
Argh. Get your stuff together, Mattel.