Poll

Pending choices for our next custom challenge!

Sci-Fi Tribute Challenge
Star Wars EU
Ultimate Figure-multiple lines
Star Wars No Paint Kit Bash
Star Wars Mirror Universe
Star Wars Aliens

Author Topic: What should our next challenge be?  (Read 43997 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: What should our next challenge be?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:21 PM »
 Depends on the number of participants and prizes and so forth. I wouldn't be against two simultaneous challenges but you can only pick one or the other with the grand prize lotted to the winner of the ship contest, because let's face it its a lot more difficult to build a ship in a short amount of time. That's what makes it challenging. You take a gamble go with the figure for a 2nd/3rd prize or try building a ship/vehicle for the grand prize. I think it would result in more participants and make it interesting. Ultimately its up to Tamer he makes the executive decision. I'm just curious how it'll work.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:12:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline Jodo

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • Toys and Deep Thinking Blog
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
Can we build ships that look like ourselves, or is that pushing it?  :P

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2015, 02:40:24 AM »
Folks, I will work this out in better detail by this weekend, but if we do go for two challenges at the same time there will be just one vote for the prizes and the top vote getter wil be the grand prize and so on, whether that be the build a figure or build a ship. I am also going to allot two months for this challenge just to give folks a bit more time to get their ship and or figure together.

Thats the thing with the vote, I was gonna just pick one theme and then do the other one next month, but I do agree the ship one will be more involved and will hence have less takers than the build a figure of yourself. So, we will go with how folks voted and hopefully get the most bang for everyones vote. I will get the details sorted and listed by this weekend.

As for how this one will be judged we will go with a vote and then tiebreakers will be determined by me and the prize donater (more on that soon). I can't wait to show you what we have in store for the prizes in this one. So, feel free to start building your ship or you as a SW Action Figure!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
Can I build a ground vehicle instead of a ship?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 04:36:41 AM »
I would say any kind of vehicle at any scale i think there should be a size requirement of at least 3 inches but its up to Tamer. I think he's working the kinks out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:44:07 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »
That I am. I am trying to find time to make a graphic and then we can officially announce this.

As for the ground vehicle I would think that would be ok as long as it meets the size requirements.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2016, 02:37:25 AM »
Well it has been awhile, but is anyone up for a new custom challenge? Post your ideas here and then we can vote on em in about a week or so.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
So I put some thought into this idea for a while, what if we picked a character, someone challenging, maybe hasn't rolled down a factory line, then all made that same character. One of the things I enjoy here is seeing how others attack the same characters as each other, or myself, for we all see things a little differently, and attack problems different ways.

Offline jon_k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
So I put some thought into this idea for a while, what if we picked a character, someone challenging, maybe hasn't rolled down a factory line, then all made that same character. One of the things I enjoy here is seeing how others attack the same characters as each other, or myself, for we all see things a little differently, and attack problems different ways.

I'm not as well versed in the EU as a lot of people here, but I do think this is a pretty fun idea all the same. I'd be particularly interested in seeing different takes on droids, as they are harder to just hack and swap, and allow for the inclusion for a lot more nonstandard parts so it doesn't come down to a matter of how many spare torsos you might have laying around.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2016, 05:14:13 AM »
I like these ideas. Let me make sure I have em straight

1. Non made character (everyone makes the same)
2. Droids (same version different takes?)

Mandalore25 do you have one character in mind for the challenge? Good ideas. I will leave this open for a few more days and then we can vote for the idea we like.

I am also thinking that instead of standard prizes I usually get that after the last challenge winner (Rezakai) for the TFA Hasbro Challenge that he decided he would like an eBay Gift Certificate. So I am thinking of these challenge prizes:

1st: $50 gift certificate to an etailer of your choice

2nd: $30

3rd: $20

Which will be decided on by a forum member vote when the challenge is over (thinking two months at this point from when we announce it).

Sounds ok everyone? I am really hoping we can get some good participation here.

Offline jon_k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Sounds fun to me!

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2016, 09:58:10 AM »
I like these ideas. Let me make sure I have em straight

1. Non made character (everyone makes the same)
2. Droids (same version different takes?)

Mandalore25 do you have one character in mind for the challenge? Good ideas. I will leave this open for a few more days and then we can vote for the idea we like.

I am also thinking that instead of standard prizes I usually get that after the last challenge winner (Rezakai) for the TFA Hasbro Challenge that he decided he would like an eBay Gift Certificate. So I am thinking of these challenge prizes:

1st: $50 gift certificate to an etailer of your choice

2nd: $30

3rd: $20

Which will be decided on by a forum member vote when the challenge is over (thinking two months at this point from when we announce it).

Sounds ok everyone? I am really hoping we can get some good participation here.

I like the challenge the droids one sounds it will present, but am curious if it will stir people away as they're not as easy to work with, as much as I like a challenge, participation is important too. Still we could do astromech droids, say in a general, so you could make an ultimate one with a ton of accessories, base one off the concept art, make one from a different time period in star wars, or improve/reimagine the astromech. So same flavor different twists, pretty open for those to take creative freedom.

With the character, personally I was thinking someone like Revan, even though he came down the factory line already that figure is currently worth like $120, pretty doubtful anyone would use it. Thus making it interesting with no base for us all to start with, we'll have to choose our own. He also has a lot of fan art, and different takes on him to go off of, and can be portrayed as a man, or a woman even, so potential for many outcomes. Granted I'm biased as Revan is my favorite character, but I do believe he's a very open character to work with. That's my two cents on who, but as I mentioned before participation is important, so a second vote if this wins perhaps? Might take a while this way, but everyone's say is important, so if one does vote for this maybe submit one thought provoking character to work on? Then vote again if character wins? Just ideas, to get the ball rolling.

Prizes sound cool Tamer, gift certificates are a good idea.

Offline jon_k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
There are a ton of unproduced EU sith too, aren't there? Might be a good pool to dip into.

I'm obviously also pretty partial to KOTOR characters. Carth, Atton, etc, although I don't know if supporting human characters without powers are as big of a draw to everyone. Seems like the Jedi, sith and interesting aliens are most popular.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:47:27 PM by jon_k »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:10 AM »
I like the ideas here. Maybe our vote should just be what character everyone should make so lets do that. Right now the nominations are (all in 3.75"):

Nomi Sunrider
Ulic Qel-Droma
Rey
Starkiller/Galen Marek, from Force Unleashed (new costume)
Darth Revan
AT-AT Heavy Door Gunner (aka I.M.P.S.)
BB Series Astro-Mechs
Ajunta Pall
Freedon Nadd
Naga Sadow
Snoke
Jyn Erso
Carth
Atton
Darth Talon
TFA AT-AT Driver
REBEL T4-B Heavy Tank Crewman

This is the running list and we will add to it once I see new characters.

so give us names folks and I will put a voting thread together so we can vote by this weekend and get started on Monday!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:55:08 AM by Tamer »

Offline jon_k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
Could get a jump on December and try Jyn Erso.

Alternate BB-unit astromechs, because BB-8 can't be the only one produced.

Or ancient sith? Ajunta Pall/Freedon Nadd/Naga Sadow

Snoke?