Author Topic: Any SDCC 2014 Questions for Hasbro!  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Any SDCC 2014 Questions for Hasbro!
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
I have found a kind soul that is willing to submit our Questions to the Hasbro Brand Team at SDCC. We couldn't get a confirmed time slot, but our Hasbro contacts said they would make something happen if our Imperial Spy showed up. With all that being said, lets hear your questions asap!

https://www.facebook.com/234428276594079/photos/a.234438239926416.50366.234428276594079/708094942560741/?type=1&theater

Remember, the more thought out the questions the more likely we will be able to get it asked. Hasbro has heard so many are you making this or are you making that questions that they just usually say no. The same goes with asking about playsets. I am not saying we won't try to ask, but I can remember we submitted a series of questions like that a couple of years ago and literally our whole response from the brand team was, "no, not at this time, but its a great idea." I would like to see us get the most bang for our ten minutes.

I told myself I am gonna try to refrain from asking any and leave them open to you guys (sites only get ten minutes to ask questions), but after seeing that new falcon I have to ask this:

"What was the rationale behind the new larger vehicles like the X-Wing and Falcon that are wonderful in scale and outside detail, but won't fit in any action figures? Wouldn't it have been smart to at least have some opening cockpits?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:20:06 AM by Tamer »

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
Re: Any SDCC 2014 Questions for Hasbro!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
I only have one question - why have the various lines been so lacking when it comes to Clone Wars characters?  That was the primary focus for my nephew (and many kids), and now he doesn't buy many (if any) Star Wars action figures.  We know a few clones are coming, but how about unmade Jedi, Sith (Nightsisters / Nightbrothers), Aliens, unique droids, etc?  Thanks.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Frankly I would be surprised if they answered any EU or Prequel questions. Their focus very soon is going to be on Episode 7 and slightly REBELS. Its a good questions and frankly seeing we are going to get a few TCW characters released amazes me.

Perhaps another spin off question might be:

We know perhaps your main focus for the foreseeable future is going to rest with Episode VII and perhaps REBELS. We also know that you were given some notice that prequel and EU figures were not to be given much of a priority. So, should Original Trilogy, Prequel, not to mention The Clone Wars Fans who just started into the Star Wars Line hold their breath or resign themselves to the fact that we probably won't see many of these figures for years to come?

Too much?

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
1.) While you previously stated that there would be no further EU releases we were all pleasantly surprised to see several KOTOR and TOR characters repacked! Are there any further KOTOR/TOR characters planned or will the repacks in the Black Series be the last?

2.) It seems your focus is shifting dramatically towards the OT (which is all well and  good), but will PT/CW/EU collectors be forgotten during this shift or do you still have some surprises for us? If so, what would we likely (not confirmed) see from the PT/CW/EU in the future?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:49:43 PM by CloneCrazy »

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:39:45 AM »
1. With the success of Marvel Legends build-a-figure packs where each figure in the line includes an additional part that can be combined to create an exclusive figure, any plans on adoptiong that idea for a future series of the Star Wars 6" line?

2. With the upcoming success of the Biker scout with Speederbike pack (and it's fantastic), are their plans on introducing beasts into the line - A dewback (pretty please), a tauntaun, a wampa.....or a Dianoga?

3. With the announcement of Bossk in upcoming waves of the 6" line, is there a good bet we may eventually have a 6" set of Bounty Hunters as seen in Empire Strikes Back?

4. Figure variants - We appreciate the upcoming running change with the black paldron Sandtrooper. Are their plans to do additional variant to let's say the Stormtrooper helmet using the Sandtrooper head sculpt but with a  cleaner paint job?

5. With the release of the 6" clone trooper, does this open the doors to variations sporting the various paint markings and different helmets for example Arc Trooppers , phase 2 helmets or individual characters like Commander Cody?

Offline My kind of scum

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »
Now that the second scanning crew figure has made its way into the line, what are the chances of seeing that second Utai making his way into the line before the focus changes to the sequels?

One thing that has been consistent across all of your Star Wars lines recently has been reduced/poorly applied paint masks.  Why has quality dropped in this area and is there any way that it can improve soon?

It seems that movie toy lines these days are very limited in their scope/character choices.  As the Star Wars toy line has *always* been about including a broad range of characters (a tradition that started in the Kenner days), will this continue on into your sequel/spin off toy lines?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
Wow, you guys are knocking them out of the park today.

Dayton, I love that six inch build a figure question.

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Wheres my MFING Sail Barge!!!! jk I already know that answer.

Are you going to keep the full articulation lines going or are you eventually phasing out to the 5 p.o.s.?  ...I mean 5 p.o.a.

When can we get new vehicles that aren't jedi starfighters?

Is the Old Republic Trooper going to be released in the black series?

Has the shipping issues with waves not showing up at stores been fixed yet?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Are you going to keep the full articulation lines going or are you eventually phasing out to the 5 p.o.s.?  ...I mean 5 p.o.a.

FTW! LOL, that gave me a belly laugh I will tell you. Good abbreviation if I do say so myself.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Thanks Tamer for putting this together!

1 - For the past several years, numerous fans have been very let down by the grossly oversized helmets on the Phase 2 clones (these helmets are much too big, often warped, etc.).  Last year at Toy Fair when presented with an example of how these ought to be improved, Hasbro acknowledged that the Phase 2 clone helmets (removable) were too big on the SA figures, and this was going to be addressed.  Where does this stand now?

2 - It doesn't seem that the "cheaper" mid size vehicle line really took off like you expected, and we're seeing a more "back to normal" approach with the Rebels vehicles.  Is this the case? Are you done offering scaled down versions of vehicles that most of the market already had more normal sized versions of and will continue to offer more new molds in a more accurate scale, and more previously unmade vehicles?

3 - We saw so many smaller vehicles (mini rigs) in the Clone Wars line - what does the future hold for more deluxe offerings in the OT?  Such as a NEW probe droid and NEW Wampa?  It seems these are far overdue in the 3.75" scale.

4 - Playset scenes or dioramas.  Come on, why have you been so against this for so long?  You often indicate these are too risky, but each year we see new types of gimmicks in the line that that seem even more risky (and not well received by the market) - we were against Fighter Pods, Angry Birds and the new Command line and we know the fate of those first two lines.  Fighter Pods and Angry Birds eventually made it to widespread clearances across the big retailers, and even places like Five Below can't sell this stuff.  We expect the same thing to happen with the Command line, and probably these upcoming "Hero Series" vehicles that can't even interact with figures.  We know you probably have more short-term goals with those lines (wanting retailers to order en mass), but why do you put so much stock into risky things like that which we feel retailers are going to get stuck with (and they often do), but just won't make any sort of cool diorama-esque playsets?  We can show you many examples of what people are begging to be made across various fan site forums such as www.imperialshipyards.net, www.yakface.com, and others.  These don't need to be $100 playsets.  But some modular walls, etc. that come with a new army builder?  We feel something along these lines is far overdue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:00:02 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »
Good questions CHEWIE, wonder if they will answer any of em? I know you have been after that Phase 2 bucket question for awhile now. I like all of em.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
I tried to sneak in the whole playset thing just because I'm obsessed.  If you don't want that asked, no worries bud.

Another approach to that question could be... something like this... which might be better...

5 - With the new partnership with Disney, does this perhaps finally open the door to some sort of playsets or environments in the 3.75" scale?  One would think if they could pull off a big Starspeeder like they did in the 3.75" scale, then playsets of popular environments like the Death Star and Cloud City would be doable.  Could this mean that change on this theme is in the air?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:41 AM »
I like the playset questions its just I know how they always answer them. No we wouldn't want to pay the price it would take to produce them. How bout this one:

We had heard that you were partnered with 3D Systems some time back and that thinking there was to either release plans for 3D Printing or actually release some type of limited playset or popular SW environments. Has there been any development on this?

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
With 3d printers coming cheaper if they're a worry about losing business?

Any plans on releasing a kid user friendly 3d printing toy

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
3D printing is just so costly and often leave "printing lines," but maybe that will change at some point. 

Of note, they did just happen to announce something regarding a new partnership with Shapeways.  Details here - http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/16759-hasbro-shapeways-enable-3d-printing-fan-art-with-superfanart.html