Author Topic: Episode 71: Sith_Fire30 is back!  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Episode 71: Sith_Fire30 is back!
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
You always know it is gonna be a great episode when Master Customizer Sith Fire 30 shows us, but now we get to see and hear him in video!

I am gonna steal his Facebook Post:

"I'm gonna be LIVE on Google Hangouts this THURSDAY, JULY 17 at 6:15 EST with Custom Action Figure News - Episode 71!! Fellow customizers Lucasclones and Tamer will have me one their show talking about my current work, future and past projects, how-to techniques and anything else time may allow. I like to talk so you'll probably be sick of me half way through LOL! Hope you'll check it out!

Please be sure to bookmark this page so you don't miss it!!!

feature=youtu.be

"

You know it will be great fun!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
Re: Episode 71: Sith_Fire30 is back!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
Hi Dayton,

With the Hydrospan and Shrink how do you nail the right size that you want to end up with? I've used the Hydroshrink and there is a specific mix that they recommend, do you stick with that mix or stray from it to get the correct size?

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
I'm sorry if you already addressed this, I just came in. You're using so much plastic resin to cast these large diorama pieces. How do you combat bubbles so that you don't end up with a wasted part?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:57:52 AM »
Sorry DS, I check this before we start broadcasting and didn't see anything in here. I will send Dayton those questions and see if we can get a video answer for you soon.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »
Tamer - The mold material I spoke of on the show is Mold Max® 14NV - a Low Viscosity "No Vacuum" Mold Max® Silicone. Excellent product and affordable :)

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:04 AM »
Hi Dayton,

With the Hydrospan and Shrink how do you nail the right size that you want to end up with? I've used the Hydroshrink and there is a specific mix that they recommend, do you stick with that mix or stray from it to get the correct size?

Hey man - It's all about trial and error....more with the hydrosrink than the hydrospan. With the hyrdrospan it's almost the luck of the draw at times. I have no set formula with the hydrosrink but yes I do try to change the ratio to see what happens.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
I'm sorry if you already addressed this, I just came in. You're using so much plastic resin to cast these large diorama pieces. How do you combat bubbles so that you don't end up with a wasted part?

First I coat all my molds with a dusting of baby powder which helps draw the casting material into the smaller details. For larger panels I do partial castings....I poor enough of the cast were I can go in with a stylus and release all the trapped air (remember this is an open faced mold). I allow to cure completely and then pour the second half doing the same process till it cures. It's tricky since you only have a short time to doo all that is required but again, trial and error along with a lost cast or two (dollars down the toilet) will push you to getting better each time.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
Tamer - The mold material I spoke of on the show is Mold Max® 14NV - a Low Viscosity "No Vacuum" Mold Max® Silicone. Excellent product and affordable :)

Thanks Dayton, I will get that added to the show notes!