Author Topic: Psyclone's Custom Vehicles - Imperial Assault Mech Walker  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
Psyclone's Custom Vehicles - Imperial Assault Mech Walker
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »
Imperial Assault Mech Walker

This is one of the first customs I posted when I first joined Rebelscum back in 2005.  As far as I know, no one had combined the AT-RT legs and INT-4 body.  Justin (CHEWIE) liked the custom and soon made one of his own and I think it appeared in his photo novel.  Not sure if any others attempted it since then.  Anyway, I still have and didn't sell it or give it away because I liked how it turned out.  I even bought parts to make another but never got around to it.  So, it's an old one but for those who haven't visited my website or seen the old post on Rebelscum I figured I'd post it here. Here is a link to my website: Psyclone's Custom Miniatures

The legs and antenna are from ROTS AT-RT vehicle. The body is a modified Vintage INT-4 Mini-Rig. Guns are from various places. The INT-4 was prepared by taking off the landing gear and cutting the two bottom "fins" off with a saw and sanded. The back "nub" that opens and closes the wings was also taken off. The stablizers on the feet were also removed.

The engine was built using miscellaneous parts from vehicles, model kits and a few misc pieces and some styrene. An engine fan was added (a bonus that it was an Imperial cog design). On the bottom I added more pieces and a vent from a cheap army playset .  The entire vehicle was primed, highlighted with Medium Gray and Boltgun Metal (to simulate exposed metal) and weathered.

The figure is to show the scale. Inside the cabin there is a lillithium battery powered compact LED.
?The legs can be positioned to look as though the vehicle is walking.

Imperial AT-IC  Walker WIP

This is another work in progress that I was able to get some pictures taken of, finally.  Not too much more work to go on this and she'll be finished. I include the original prototype by Kenner for reference but I'm not following it 100%.  My version will be a little different and can be converted into an open top  troop carrier by removing the large gun and adding rail guns similar to Jabba's Skiff.

Original Kenner image...

My version...

Imperial Dropship WIP

I've been working on this for a while and have yet to take pictures of the most recent progress but here are some of the images I have so far.  I combined the designs of the Sentinel and Lambda Class ships and added a few of my own ideas. I wanted a little freedom, that's why I didn't just make a Sentinel or a Lambda the way we see them in the films or reference photos.  The entire thing is scratch built using wood, sheet styrene and many odds and ends from whatever looked useable.

This ship will go with the Imperial Gun Tower/Base I have been working on which I will post in the dioramas section.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:47:00 PM by Psyclone »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Imperial Dropship WIP - Psyclone's Customs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
HOLY (insert expletives of your choosing here) mother of (more expletives) I'm (expletive) loving this! 

wow... i'm litterally speachless, my jaw is dropping!  I have yet been able to finish a decent 1:18 scale from scratch vehicle... not one that looks this freaking good.  I did that crappy at-pt a while back... man... I don't know what to say.

that is spot on.  Please tell me the wings fold down into flight position!?!  How heavy is this thing?  What are you going to use as the canopy shield? Are you using a smaller scale model (like the action fleet version) to scale this up to keep the right demensions?  Do you have space to add led lights? 

man this is awesome... I realy need to get more styrene and do some more from scratch practice ships.....

Offline masterfett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
That's coming along very nicely!
It would be nice if they did the one from TFU Game!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »
Just awesome!! you seem to have a knack of creating ships, structures and customs that make me salivate....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:18:57 AM »
Wow, Psyclone, that just rocks! What a masterpiece this is going to turn out to be!
I offer you a big welcome to the shipyards!!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »
Okay, that's it.
I will stop posting customs here.
The figures, the tower, the dropship, the astromechs...Clonehead, Customcloner, Psyclone, Hangarbay, Wraithnine, etc.
You guys definitely are the Major League of customizing and I'll fade away into my little foxhole and remain quiet for the rest of my life.

Seriously now: nice piece of work, Psyclone!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and comments, guys.

Please tell me the wings fold down into flight position!?!  

When I designed the ship on paper I wanted to have the wings fold down like the Hasbro shuttle but  after I started to get it mostly together I found that it wouldn't be as easy as I thought with the room I had to work with.  I decided to make it appear as if the wings were attached and could fold down but in reality the wings are loose and slid into a slot on the top of the ship.  On the bottom of the ship, on a bit of an angle, are two more slots where the wings can be placed when it is displayed in "flight mode".  So, the wings don't fold down like the Hasbro shuttle but the ship can be displayed as if it were flying.  Hope this isn't too confusing.  I'll try and get some photos of the wing areas in the future to show what I mean.

How heavy is this thing?

I haven't weighed it but I'd guess it's about 6lbs at least by now.  I will weigh it at some point and let you know.

What are you going to use as the canopy shield?

The canopy glass is a piece of tinted sun visor, like this: http://www.morigen.com.tw/images/sun_visor_pic1.jpg that I got picked up from an automotive shop. I just cut it to fit.

Are you using a smaller scale model (like the action fleet version) to scale this up to keep the right demensions?

Since this is sort of a cross-breed shuttle I just went with my own scale.

Do you have space to add led lights?

Yes, I plan to put in lights.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
man... that's awesome.  The solution you came up with for the wings is briliant.  I would probably have slaved over trying to figure out how to get it to swivel and then given up on the whole thing.  I can't wait to see this baby finished.  Are you going to make a display stand for displaying it in flight position?

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
Okay, that's it.
I will stop posting customs here.
The figures, the tower, the dropship, the astromechs...Clonehead, Customcloner, Psyclone, Hangarbay, Wraithnine, etc.
You guys definitely are the Major League of customizing and I'll fade away into my little foxhole and remain quiet for the rest of my life.

Seriously now: nice piece of work, Psyclone!

Don't you dare stop....this guy puts us all to shame...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
Here I am still trying to calm down after the ATAT squad and now this. Gee manezz guy, you just built a daggone dropship we have all been wanting out of scratch! Daggone, just daggone.

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
I can't believe you built that from scratch. Absolutely awesome! Great idea with the wings, too... I can't wait to see it with some lights in there! Fiber optics are pretty sweet if you can get your hands on those and figure out how to wire them in  :D

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
Psyclone's Custom Vehicles - Imperial AT-IC Walker & Troop Transporter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »
Bump for update.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:21:29 PM by Psyclone »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Psyclone's Custom Vehicles - Imperial AT-IC Walker WIP 9/26/09
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 05:12:27 AM »
Psyclone that at-ic is just a masterpiece! I like that you made your own version and didn't just follow the specs of the proto.
Those handrails really make it pop and I like the altered floorplan.
I actually have the pieces to do a different version of this for Tamer but am waiting for some time off before I tackle it.
Great job and the interior detail on the shuttle makes my mouth water.

Wait till poor Tamer sees your walker.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:58 AM »
Nice one!  I'm a fan of big armor and bigger guns.  (gives us anti-tank gunners nice, juicy targets...)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 06:24:54 AM »
that atat/i is rockin.  perfect rendition of that crappy hasbro prototype.  I have an extra one of the ion cannons laying around that I just recently aquired, but no atat.. lol.  If I ever get an atat I think it would devistate me to chop it up like that!

If I had the confidence to pull it off to that level of perfection I'd tackle the project...

and I'm still amazed at your dropship...  I almost bought a lot on e-bay that had two empty lambda shuttle shells, but all wings intact, for a similar project... but then I remembered yours and thought "I'll never be able to pull it off that well, I better not even try!"
lol