General Collecting > Misc. Collectibles

How Much Money Have You Spent Buying Star Wars Things?

(1/4) > >>

CommandoClone76:
If there is ONE on the streets you are lying.

Tamer:
Hilarious some of your answers are. I know I have spent thousands on this hobby since when I got started. They say don't do the math because you won't like it and I believe it. Still, is there any hobby out there that doesn't cost thousands to pursue actively? As long as a person is spending in their means and is not depriving themselves or their family, is having fun, and doesn't get obsessive about it spend as much as you want!

Buried Egg:
Am I the only one here who keeps a spreadsheet of everything I buy for my collection? I was mortified when I watched FlyGuy's Panel Podcast and they all said they had no records, no idea, and no desire to know how much they've spent. It's very easy to do and very necessary. Especially when you need to dig into your storage crates for a specific figure or vehicle for a quick photo shoot or something!

Tamer:
Well, I used to have over 40 of the largest size rummbermaid containers they sold, but after realizing the chances of me ever getting into it to find that one figure or every getting any of it out I decided I needed to narrow my focus and truly try to have a collection that was on display. If I couldn't enjoy it openly then what was the use. Now I do have things set back to create some dioramas and a few of the harder or more memorable prequel figures that I still have stored, but I am not down to just a few rubbermaid totes and what is in them.

I do agree knowing what you have is paramount if you have been in this awhile or you will never be able to remember the line or character. I would also recommend buying a good action figure guide (check out the one by Paul and Dan and Steve) so that can help you identify things if you are not sure which line it came from.

Buried Egg:

--- Quote from: Tamer on June 25, 2014, 12:36:24 PM ---Well, I used to have over 40 of the largest size rummbermaid containers they sold, but after realizing the chances of me ever getting into it to find that one figure or every getting any of it out I decided I needed to narrow my focus and truly try to have a collection that was on display. If I couldn't enjoy it openly then what was the use. Now I do have things set back to create some dioramas and a few of the harder or more memorable prequel figures that I still have stored, but I am not down to just a few rubbermaid totes and what is in them.

I do agree knowing what you have is paramount if you have been in this awhile or you will never be able to remember the line or character. I would also recommend buying a good action figure guide (check out the one by Paul and Dan and Steve) so that can help you identify things if you are not sure which line it came from.

--- End quote ---

Yes, good point. I currently rotate my collection on a 3 month basis. The spreadsheet is invaluable for me. Even still, I catch myself (only rarely) buying things I already have but forgot about. Grabbed the McFarlane Masterchief for $6 at TJ Maxx the other day. All proud of my score. Went home to enter it into the Excell sheet and it autofilled "Masterchief". Realized I already had one from Tuesday Morning months ago! The only downside to having the spreadsheet is that my wife knows exactly how much I spend too! ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version