Author Topic: Expanded Universe Custom Contest  (Read 31520 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Expanded Universe Custom Contest
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:37:41 AM »
Its high time we announced our next custom contest as voted on by you the members here at ISY!

With over 30 years of Expanded Universe material out there as well as the announcement that these story-lines and characters are being grouped under a "legendary" designation; almost a forced retirement if you will we thought it was high time we showed our support of all the great authors and creators out there who added so much to the Star Wars during the dark years of no films or when nothing new seemed to be on the horizon. We really appreciate all of the great work and time and effort that went into creating the Star Wars Universe outside of the major motion pictures.

With that being said we would love to see you create a custom action figure of an expanded universe character from any of the diverse timelines, from Dawn of the Jedi (37,000 years before A New Hope) all the way to the Legacy Era (40 plus years after A New Hope). Pretty much the only things this will leave out will be any of the regularly releaseed on-screen films (Episode I to Episode VI) and canon TV shows (Clone Wars and The Clone Wars). Knights of the Old Republic, Lost Tribes of the Sith, Fate of the Jedi, The Thrawn Trilogy, The New Republic Era, Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Marvel, and any Star Wars Comic Book Characters are but a few of the available and diverse story-lines to explore.

So, once you decide on your timeline and character, please make sure your custom action figure meets the following:

1. Must be a new custom that has never been posted by you.

2. Only 1 entry per person. If you create one custom or several, you are entered into this contest one time.

3. Must be 3 3/4" in scale.

4. You can post work in progress pictures if you would like, but please mark your final entry as "Final Entry" and limit it to no more than five pictures please.

5. Bonus (as the vote was so close): You can create a Speeder bike to complement your custom action figure if you so desire, but it is not necessary to compete. Remember you must create a custom action figure (3 and 3/4") to enter.

Customs can be submitted from now until Saturday, July 12th (midnight eastern standard time).  

One (1) random winner will be chosen from the entries - and the winner will be completely random. And the prize will be:

The Star Wars Black Series 3 3/4-Inch Action Figures Wave 4 Set shipped for free inside the continental US. For our foreign friends, you know me, I will try to help out with the postage and will probably be able to handle it if we ship them loose, but I may need a bit of help due to high overseas shipping costs.

As always, if you have any questions ask, but its time to get to building! :D

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Mission Vao
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
Fortunately, I'd been planning a Mission Vao custom for a while, so I was able to turn it around pretty quickly. It's a comic pack Mara Jade body, Clone Wars Aayla Secura arms and head. Since Mission is a kid, I went for a smaller look for her so she's actually much shorter than most other figures. I've posed her with Big Z, HK-47, Bastila Shan, and some of the other KOTOR crew.

Offline darthstreams

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Streams Customs
Re: Expanded Universe Custom Contest
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
Cool I got some on the back burner I'd like to do, I'll try to get it done by the deadline.  0/ DH

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
Darth Crassus draws first blood. Awesome. Off to share.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
Good, good ... Let your EU flow through you!

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
My entry is where the EU meets concept art and fan fiction.  I created a Nightsister of my own design, inspired by some concept art and the "Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir" comics.  I had to sculpt several parts of the outfit, to get the look I wanted.  Her name is Sayyadina, a Nightsister that survived the massacre on Dathomir, and was trained by Mother Talzin to preserve all her magiks.  Mother Talzin, having foreseen an impending battle with Darth Sidious, took an apprentice in secret and used Spirit Ichor to mask her from other force sensitive beings.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 07:13:24 AM »
Nice. I like her. Off to use her for the front page update. I am also starting an album on Facebook for these I front page.

https://www.facebook.com/234428276594079/photos/a.691226904247545.1073741857.234428276594079/691467070890195/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
Thanks Tamer, I'm glad you like it - these contests are always fun, and its a great category.

Offline TakeshiInhaba

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
Here's a little sneak for my entry, iam not sure which one of those two i will pick tho.

First up it's a Mission Vao but since i keep messing with the head  >:( >:( and she's allready a pick of darthcrassus i may pick something else.
The second one would be a sith assasin of the TOR era, only prob is: i allready startet working on another sith assasin which i dumbed but which is based on the same body (TVC Maul) guess it still counts as "allready been posted" does it?

"Arent you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
"Shut up!"

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
here's a WIP of my lone custom for this contest. It's a Darth Talon who's design was from a video game that was cancelled. One where you could play with a buddy apparently, one as Talon, one as Maul...figure that one out. So here's a quick WIP with the reference pic. Still got a fair bit of work to do but I know me and realized if I didn't post this now I would probably just get lazy and never actually do it

Wip by JetpackBlues

Offline Barmic_Rin

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
Hi everyone, long time lurker.
Just thought I'd share my work in progress SWTOR sith inquisitor, apologies for the shoddy pic.
He still needs a bit of sculpting on the hair, and forearms, then just a bunch of painting.
Parts list is as follows:
Ganner krieg head (pony tail off, hair & beard sculpted)
Kir kanos (multipack) neck post
Daultay dofine torso & lower arms
Young Indy upper arms
Thor movie figure hands
Dwalin (the hobbit) belt
Darth maul (theed duel) soft goods skirt
Agen kolar (ROTS) legs
Mace Windu sabers joined.

Thought I'd try to get him charging his saber with dark energy as in the game.
Still a bit of a way to go, but hope you guys enjoy it!
I'll be posting a few more customs soon.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Wow, great work in progress pics folks. I like em all. JPB, I didn't even know about that video game. It sounds cool. Makes you wonder how they would have fit in the same time frame though. Off to update the front page.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »
Had to get Barmic Rin's wip on the front page. So, is everybody still working on this. Can't wait to see what entries this receives. Just a little over twelve days till this one wraps up.

Offline Barmic_Rin

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »
A very quick update on my entry. I've sculpted the hair and beard properly, though are a bit too bushy and dark.
I've added a few pieces of tubing from an old Star Trek Borg to make the belt resemble many of the styles in the game, and the belt armour and tassels are from the same thor figure as the hands.

Now he's been colour blocked,  I'll finalise the paint scheme & hopefully get rid of the paint rub on the shoulder joint, so apologies for the in progress pics.

Thanks for the FP again, would love to see a few other entries as there are so many talented people on here!!
Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:40:25 PM by Barmic_Rin »

Offline darthstreams

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Streams Customs
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »
Here's my uliq qel droma I made for the contest