Author Topic: Iron Man Hall of Armors (holograms installed)  (Read 4572 times)

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors (finished, for now)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
What a speedy build... It's awesome by the way!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I dig the SW X-Wing helmet and Spidey hangin' on the wall.  Maybe on that wall hang something Tony would have like a replica of Da Vinci's glider.  Or how about a "life-size" stormtrooper by the door?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I dig the SW X-Wing helmet and Spidey hangin' on the wall.  Maybe on that wall hang something Tony would have like a replica of Da Vinci's glider.  Or how about a "life-size" stormtrooper by the door?

you missed the other star wars easter egg... idk if it's easy to find... there's an IG88 torso and head in there somewhere :P

In other news... I found a small pack of printable transparencies at hobby lobby for 6 bucks for 6 sheets....  So I need to find some good line art and other graphics to create the hologram effects you see in the movies

Offline pluv

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
Hobby Lobby sells sheets of wood flooring in their dolls section. I'm sure the print out will be fine but just as an alternative it might be worth looking into.

For the hologram diagrams are you going to use the clear plastic layered ones from the movie figures or are you doing something completely different.

Any plans for a Dum-E robotic arm robot? Here's one I did if it helps at all as a template.
http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_xml_single.php?t=gp&d=smallplaysets&c=dummy

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:10 AM »
Great job Devin! I wish I had a work space that large.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
Hobby Lobby sells sheets of wood flooring in their dolls section. I'm sure the print out will be fine but just as an alternative it might be worth looking into.

For the hologram diagrams are you going to use the clear plastic layered ones from the movie figures or are you doing something completely different.

Any plans for a Dum-E robotic arm robot? Here's one I did if it helps at all as a template.
http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/customs_xml_single.php?t=gp&d=smallplaysets&c=dummy

your dum-e bot arm looks great.  I am planning on building one, it's in the works...  i'm just having trouble finding just the right materials.

The holograms are going to be a little different.  I'm going to print things off as line art on transparency paper, then put them into the dio.  here is a sample of some of the armor holos I did last night:

The idea is to have them put in front of the armors and give them the holo-interface look to it.  I also have a periodic table and a few other little things to add with this technique.  Hopefully it works as planned...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
finally got the first few "holograms" printed off.  Here they are set up quickly in the dio.  These are by no means the final results, although they show the promise of using printable transparencies!

These turned out way better than I'd hoped.  I really love the effect that the printed screens give with the transparency paper.  They are not as detailed as they would be if printed on regular paper, and don't stand out as well in the photographs, but the fact that you can see through them just adds that element into the dio and doesn't make it feel as clostrophobic as it would if they were not transparent...  imho.

what do you guys think?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 02:36:46 AM »
Looks pretty nifty to me Devin. Off to share on the pages.

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Dude, this is badass all day long.  I love how the Mark 42 is up chillin' with the Avengers while Tony is actually downstairs.  Nice touch!  The clear holograms/computer effects are really top-notch and add a cool layer to the overall feel.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Execellent work indeed mate and the transparent screen are brillant.

Ron

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »
Wow!!!!!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 03:32:12 AM »
Great idea Devin ,i was gonna suggest something like this ,looking superb!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 06:39:06 AM »
This just keeps getting better.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors (holograms installed)
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
Finally got some time to actually install the computer screens and hologram transparencies into the dio...

I installed most of the screens onto the desk by cutting small strips of the transparency sheet into "stands" and gluing them down.  The periodic table hologram is glued to the ceiling above it hanging down in front of the bookcase and the "partial" iron man figure sitting in the floor...  The hologram blueprint of the armor hovering behind the hologram figure is my favorite.  I glued it to a piece of stiff clear plastic and then folded a tab of it into a peg so that it would fit into the peg in the back of the figure... this gives it the appearance that it is floating behind the figure, but can still be removed! 

enough talk:

I really love the way the transparencies came out....  I really think they would be even better if I could light them somehow...  I'd love to light the diorama, but I think with the way I built it it'd be a real pain to go back and try to put any extensive amount of lighting into it... 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors (holograms installed)
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »