Author Topic: Iron Man Hall of Armors (holograms installed)  (Read 4571 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Iron Man Hall of Armors (holograms installed)
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:07:50 AM »
This isn't my first diorama, but it's the first one that I've put so much work into...  and it's something I've been wanting to do for a long long time...

here are some teaser WIP shots:

Starting out with a base of styrene plastic and a backing of foamcore poster board....

slowly takes shape (and by the figures I bet you can figure out what it is)....

Still have a lot to go....   The backgrounds are printing off the right now and I'll work on them later this week.  They are photoshopped copies of the Hot Toys iron man hall of armor diorama parts.  Each cell of the grid is 2.5 inches by 4.5 inches tall... just barely fitting each iron man figure.  I wanted it to be a tight fit so that I could get as many as possible in there.  You see on the top a few larger bays for the bigger figures...  This dio fits around 38 figures as it is right now...  I will also be adding a small workshop area to the diorama either in front of the armors or as a separate piece of to the side.  I have a 1:18th scale hot rod to add to it... and I plan on building several parts of the workshop with various greeblies, spare parts, and junk sitting around...  

It may be a while before I get anything else done on this, but tell me what you think so far.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:03:31 PM by spudafett »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Big diorama project...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:20:58 AM »
This is going to look awesome when it's complete and such a great idea to display all those suits.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
Oh yeah, that is gonna rock. Off to share.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
started an extension that will have a workspace and a small section of the living room upstairs...

anyone know where I could get a nice 1:18th scale couch? lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »
furnishing the home...

I still have a lot of work to do.  But I thought I'd throw some stiff in there to get an idea of how it will all fit together. 

I still need to find a couch, or make one, with an entertainment center for the upstairs "living room" area...   

I want to create some "hologram" like effects by printing off images on transparency paper and mounting them in front of the desk...

I want to use the same technique to create "hologram" like effects for in front of some of the armors...

I will be placing plastic sheeting in front of all the armors once they are in place...

I need to print off posters and other images to hang on the walls...

I need to print off images that can be pasted onto "computer screens" which will be placed around the shop...

I need to fill all 38 armor bays...  and figure out what to do with the leftover armors!

but for now... that's what I've got.  What do you guys think?

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »
This is looking great and the I like how you have given the dio extra levels.

Ron

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
That is looking to be an epic dio.
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Iron Man Hall of Armors (finished, for now)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
Finally finished....  bear with me, I took a ton of photos.    I won't include everything here however, so for more check out my FB gallery here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SpudaFetts-Custom-toys/275038512535165
(that link should work...)

before I get into the big stuff... here's my favorite little piece of the dio that I made:

If you could read the tiny text that is on it... it reads "proof that tony stark has a heart" and is modeled after the gift pepper gives tony in IM1

so here are some stats:
The dio is at least 3 feet tall...
it has "bays" for 38 armors, 5 of which are extra large for hulk buster sized figures
The bays measure  approximately 2.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches high... 
The "glass" covering the bays is one large sheet of plastic and is not currently secured so that I can get the figures out if need be...
The workspace is crammed full of greeblies, extra pieces, and tools... some of which are fun little easter eggs
everything was constructed using foamcore poster board and a few sheets of styrene plastic with hot glue holding it together!
The diorama is actually two separate parts, the armory and the workshop.
none of the furnature (except the countertop under the black shelves) is glued down, so the entire diorama can be rearranged if need be.

ok... enough talk, here are a few pictures:

wallcrawler hanging around...:

A gift from stark to parker:

all the figures that didn't make it into the diorama, either villians (drones, whiplash, etc) or duplicates, or just plain uninteresting figures that I didn't include:

Tony's cluttered workshop inside my cluttered workspace...:

and finally, the dio split into the two sections:

Things I still want to do:
create transparency holograms to go in front of some of the armors and the desk...
rig up better looking computers for the desk and living room.
print out a hardwood floor pattern for the living room floor (it'll look better than that grey that I used everywhere else!)
and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

So, what do you guys think?  See anything I may have missed?  Anything I should take out or think about adding? 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:36 AM »
Wow, Devin this brings a tear to the eye. Bravo.

Off to share.

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »
This is incredible. How long did it take you?
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »
Now when I would say I wanted a Hall of Armor that is the kind of set I was talking about, very cool.

The only thing I could think to add is to expand the house out (but then it would be a monster set too so that might not be plausible).

PS Did you mean to put IM 2020 in there?  It's cool if you did but I feel the need to point out that he is Tony's nephew from an alternate reality which means he kind of doesn't fit with the others (being from the future and all).  To a super-nerd like me he sticks out in the set but I can see why you might add him at the same time. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »
This is incredible. How long did it take you?

Thanks.  I started this project sunday night...  put some long hours in on it.  So I guess around 3 days.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »
Now when I would say I wanted a Hall of Armor that is the kind of set I was talking about, very cool.

The only thing I could think to add is to expand the house out (but then it would be a monster set too so that might not be plausible).

PS Did you mean to put IM 2020 in there?  It's cool if you did but I feel the need to point out that he is Tony's nephew from an alternate reality which means he kind of doesn't fit with the others (being from the future and all).  To a super-nerd like me he sticks out in the set but I can see why you might add him at the same time. 

I am so glad you like it.

I already made it larger than I wanted!  Although I think the living room could be a bit bigger...  and I know a full scale mock up of the house would be cool I dont see the playability in the rest ofthe house. If this was a set you could buy these are the parts itd have in it.

As for im 2020 I knew someone might point that out :P  I have a few inthere that could probably be removed and swapped out.  Im not entirely fond of the comic styled armor either.  I have a few other im movie figures that I might stick in there.... or a combiner (except that they are realy short compared to the im2 figures!)

Thanks again guys.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Sweet looking dio. Congrats!