Author Topic: Planet Of The Apes: The TV Series  (Read 2948 times)

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
Planet Of The Apes: The TV Series
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »
Just finished this up last night. This was the mid-70's TV series. I used to watch it as a child so I remembered some of the episodes. It was very short lived. I'm not sure why because it wasn't terrible. It's almost like watching Gunsmoke or Bonanza, the sets and colors, every episode had some moral tale and the guest actors were the same from the old cowboy series.

We follow two stranded astronauts, Virdon and Burke, who crash thousands of years in the future only to find the earth has had an unfortunate shift in power. They are reluctantly befriended by the chimpanzee, Galen (played by "Apes" alumni Roddy McDowall), and so begins they're adventures across the post apocalyptic landscape. For any "Apes" fan this is a must see and is more family friendly than the movie series that it followed.

While watching I thought of the old movie series (which I love), the awful Tim Burton re-boot (which I despise) and the newest re-boot (which I think is heading in the right direction... so far). I love the apocalyptic stuff, especially "Apes" and Zombies and this led me to thinking....

It would be really great to do another TV series for "Planet Of The Apes", but in the same vein as "The Walking Dead". I could see an AMC or HBO handled "Apes" series with more traditional make-up and costumes. What do you guys think?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Planet Of The Apes: The TV Series
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
I think it would be awesome. I would sure watch it. I loved the older series too.

Charlton Heston's line was classic!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »
Yep Tamer, they don't make em' like that anymore.

Heston was super in that movie and in "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" too. As a kid I loved that one. "Beneath" is the one with the nuclear mutants that pulled their human masks off to "reveal their inner selves to their maker", which was the atomic bomb they had strung up.

I used to read the Planet of the Apes comic magazines in the 70's. Here are a few covers from that series...

These comic magazines were a little more adult than say, MARVEL adaptations. They were a lot like the Vampirella and Creepy comic mags. If you can ever get your hands on some check em' out! I still have all of mine. The stories would make for some cool series episodes.

Like I said above, if someone had the cognition to treat the Apes series in a more adult manner and give it a Walking Dead vibe it would ROCK!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:28 AM »
Wow, didn't even know about those comics. Ah the good ole days.