Author Topic: Soft goods ???  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
Soft goods ???
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
I'm currently working on a Pong Krell custom, I'm mostly
Using sculpt, but would like to use some soft goods on his lower robes. Can anyone tell me type of material Hasbro uses on there figures. It's so light, I could always butcher a Jedi robe to get what I want, but I'd rather just buy some. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: Soft goods ???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
This is a really tough area to master properly (not even Hasbro seems to get it right 100% of the time). 

I would suggest checking out a fabric store for woven materials. Material with a weave in them are generally what toy manufacturers use when making soft goods for figures.

Take the time to ensure proper selection of fabric SCALE when buying cloth.  Bring an action figure with you when you go fabric shopping. Check the cloth weave pattern against the scale of your figure.  This makes all the difference between a figure that looks like it's wearing an appropriate garment versus one that looks like it's wearing a burlap sack because the fabric weave is too large for that scale of figure.

My advice is when creating soft goods clothes for action figures, avoid  frayed edges on the garments. Take the time to create neatly folded-over edge seams, or pre-treat the fabric edge so that it will not fray when you cut it.  Make the investment in a good pair of really sharp cuticle scissors.  NOTHING makes sharper, cleaner cuts in fabric than a pair of those!  Get into the habit of using an iron to press the fabric garment  into its desired shape.   It is the slow, patient, deliberate press work with an IRON that will make the fabric work on your figure look like an actual, finished, professionally-made garment... and not just some cloth draped sloppily on your figure.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:05:33 AM »
Did you see this news post?

Ebay Resource for Soft Goods via seller rickhor409

This is another Asian Seller, but for $4.50 how can you go wrong! Right now he has quite a few different colors of ponchos for the six inch figures (like the one pictured above for Fett), but it also seems like he sells Jedi Robes (various colors) from time to time too so that might be a link you want to bookmark.

Evidently there must be a pretty big demand for soft goods female clothing as there is some of that listed too. Remco sent me a great FWOOSH Link for those of you who want to check out what one customizer did with the soft good Jedi and Sith Robes from this same seller:

I am wondering if he might make anything for the three and three quarter inch scale too, but his six inch stuff seems pretty nice and is very cheap. Which is good too!

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
Awesome advice guys, thanks. I do like the look of those Jedi robes, just wonder what the wait will be with international shipping.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »
for smaller things it usually not as long as you think.

You ought to get a soft goods robe for your new Krell!

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
Took the words out of my right out of my fingers, Tamer. I plan on doing just that once Krell is complete.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
 ;)

I think it would rock myself.