Author Topic: Paint rub on joints.  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
Paint rub on joints.
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
So I hope I'm not asking a dumb question everyone knows the answer to but me. How do I reduce the paint rub on my figures? Some of them I keep in static poses, but others I occasionally change there posture, go for a nice dynamic pose. once I bend the arm or leg, any paint that was there, moves with the joint, leaving the figures looking less than stellar. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent tutorial?
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: Paint rub on joints.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
Figure Realm has a particularly great thread on the subject. I hope it helps!
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:29:03 AM »
We are gearing up a new podcast season of CAFN and I think this topic would be a great one to start out with.

I know that a lot of folks do some serious joint sanding, which is a pain, but is about the only fool proof way to ensure that the paint stays on.

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
Smeagol- thanks I'll check their forums out and see where it gets me

Tamer- I haven't tried sanding the joints yet, with my sausage fingers, not sure I'd be all that successful. I would love it if you guys covered this topic on the podcast
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
I use minimal amounts of matching colored sharpies, the ink is thin enough to where it won't wear, but they shine and can be sticky is why to keep it to a minimal amount. Lately I've been using a sharpie brush I found, but don't know if they still make them. Problem still stands when I can't get a matching color though...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
Tamer- I haven't tried sanding the joints yet, with my sausage fingers, not sure I'd be all that successful. I would love it if you guys covered this topic on the podcast

I love that idea. Lets get a podcast together on all the different customizing problems and do video shorts on the different customizers who show on video how they solve them!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
The Figurerealm tutorial is a great one to use. It's important to prep your custom well, before you even start thinking about painting. If you have trouble sanding tiny areas like 3¾" figure joints, have a look at this:

http://youtu.be/V6T0U9yEw0I

I made one recently as well and have various grits ready for use: 150, 200, 400, 800 and 1600.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:56:51 AM by Mr. Black »

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
I love that idea. Lets get a podcast together on all the different customizing problems and do video shorts on the different customizers who show on video how they solve them!

Interesting. I reckon it's best if the customizers who showcase how to tackle certain customizing issues, make these videos beforehand.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »
I am guessing that Remco. Then, I could piece em all together and do a live video podcast where the video composer would then be able to add more comments, etc.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
Agree on the FigureRealm tutorial.
I cant stand the rub, so I take the shotgun approach. 
Sand or grind the ball joint down to the point the rubbing sufaces are maybe 0.5 mm apart.
Use Sharpie marker to approximate the intended joint color, kind of as a primer.
Paint as thinly as possible.
Carefully coat the ball joint with applied cyanoacrylate, avoiding the seam.  I use a toothpick as an applicator.