Author Topic: Dilemma working on a Wookiee customs question  (Read 1212 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Dilemma working on a Wookiee customs question
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
Okay I'm working on a Wookiee and I can do the legs one of two ways. Not sure how I want to go about it, as both require sculpting and modification to make look and work right, though will yield different types of articulation.

First option: Use the Wookiee knee joint and graphed the shin pieces (Wookiee & one I'm wanted to add) together which would only give me a ball joint at the knee. I would say this one has the least amount of work involved with minor sculpting and average modification.

or

Second option: Use the thighs (Wookiee & one I'm wanted to add) and graphed them together which would result in a double hinged joint at the knee. This one would be more sculpting work and a fair amount of modification.

My question is if you had the choice between the two options (skill included to pull off the sculpting and modifications), which way would you go about doing this custom? I'm just trying to talk myself into doing one or the other and only have one set of legs of each to use and want to avoid any more stalling out on this so I can get it finished.

Thanks for your input,
roron corobb

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Dilemma working on a Wookiee customs question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
 If you have the skills,  I say go for it, make double joonted knees.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:09:09 AM »
If you have the skills,  I say go for it, make double joonted knees.

Ditto all the way!

Offline roron corobb

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
I was thinking I should go the double hinged too. Though increased range in the knee might just be a loss of ability to swivel. Only way to counter that would to totally redo the hip/waist with a ball joint hip or something like that. Though typing this out make be think that all could be possible, but would have to fine an extra pair for feet. Thanks guys for your input.

roron corobb

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
Wow.
Talk about a relevant issue for me.  I'm making a custpm Wookiee too and went for the double hinged knees too.  I was actually here looking for tips pn how to paint a pelt.

Here's what I did.  It's a slow, tedious multi-step process, but I love the end result.

I used greenstuff/kneadite to make hair.  Smush on a 1-2 mm layer on the lower legs.   Use a Xacto and pull grooves in a wavy downward pattern to simulate hair.  Let that cure. 

Next, flex the knee as much as possible, opening the joint.  Put a thin layer of an easily removable material into the joint space below the knee,  but not ON the knee. I used yellow mold making material.  Make the layer as thin as possible and let it cure completely. 

Take a small amount of greenstuff and put it on the knee.  Press it onto the entire knee surface.  Use the Xacto and pull grooves down over the removable material until it reaches the upper part on the lower leg.  Overlapping it a fraction of a millimeter is even better.  Let that cure completely. 

Remove the removable stuff.  Open and close the knee joint.  You'll see that the thin greenstuff on the knee glides over the greenstuff on the lower leg when the leg is extended, yet covers the unsightly joint almost seamlessly when the knee is flexed. The only problem might be that the greenstuff might pop off the knee plastic.  Just preemptively pop it off and superglue it in place.
R
Repeat the process with the lower part of the upper leg.  Flex the knee.  Apply removable stuff ro the joint above the knee and let it cure.  Place a  small amount of greenstuff above the joint and pull grooves down with the Xacto blade until it just reaches the tuft of hair on knees.   Let that cure and remove the removable stuff.

I should be posting my Wookiee in a couple of days.  She's absolutely gorgeous. 
 Dance Chewie.   0/  Dance.

Cant wait to see yours.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:50:34 AM by Sjefke »