Imperial Entertainment TV and Movies > Imperial Library

EU Canon being discarded for new movies

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hand So Low:
I'm pretty OK with no EU references in the new movies.

TBH the EU was, for me, hit or miss. Loved Plagueis and Bane stuff, but young Jedi stuff, and Clone Wars stuff was meh. Even parts of the Thrawn story were kind of... well, I just don't think Luke should've had a love interest. All this is my personal opinion, so there's that, too. And it seems like Vader killed about a third of the Jedi because there's an awful lot of them hiding (but still able to be found) after he wiped them out.

I'm ready for a cohesive EU.

Tamer:
From what I understand everything that has been done by now will fall under a "LEGENDS" line and not be considered part of the official SW Timelines.

I do agree some of the EU Stuff I could do without, but a few of the storylines were just excellent. And to me this just seems to be done for the fact they are thinking won't like it unless its new.

Phatty:
I'm not going to lie, I was praying for a Hand of Thrawn trilogy. It has been my favorite saga since the original.  I love the characters, the story, and the possibilities.  I love the introduction of Mara Jade, the Solo kids, and of course Thrawn himself. 

I am probably among the minority when I say, I'm not upset about the discarding of the EU for the new movies.  That is a result of fandom, not arrogance.  We as fans have created a culture that has been highly facilitated by the internet where we constantly tear down that which we do not personally like.  Internet Trolls have become mainstream and we're just never happy.  I'm as guilty of this as anyone.  Had they based this next trilogy off of existing story arcs, such as the Hand of Thrawn series, none of us would've been happy.  We all would've picked it apart until it was deemed a failure.  We did it with the Prequels!  And while we can all agree that Jar Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd were the worst things to hit our beloved Universe ever, Episode 1 was a great story about how the Originals we all came to love had began.  My biggest complaint of the entire prequel trilogy was the death of Darth Maul!  Dooku wasn't nearly evil or fearsome enough.  He was that diabetic grandfather that we all have that is just cranky all the time. 

Who remembers the uproar that came out with the latest Superman movie, "Man of Steel?"  The destruction of Metropolis and death of Zodd were completely torn apart because "that's not Superman."  But yet it is.  It wasn't simply a death scene, it showed the difficult choice a man had to make: The death of the race he was born into, or the death of the race of whom he had become.  You see the anguish, the torment he went through to make that choice.  Yet it is STILL highly criticized. 

We cannot see things for what they are, we feel the need to assert our opinions over everyone else, because we need that validation.  Disney, Lucas, and J.J. Abrams absolutely could not have created a new trilogy that would forever lasting using existing EU cannon.  We would never allow it.  So I ask of you now, all of you who have read comics over the years, did Disney get Marvel right?  In the grand scheme of things, minus various changes that were made for sake of 21st Century realism, did Disney really take Marvel to a whole new level?  I say they did.  They have taken characters and story arcs that have existed for decades, modernized them without losing their core origins, and made something fantastic!  With the release of the cast list, knowing that the originals are returning, and after what J.J. Abrams had done with the Star Trek reboot, doesn't anyone out there have any faith?  I know I do.  I cannot wait to see the ENTIRELY NEW UNIVERSE that they eek out for themselves.  A whole new Expanded Universe, that we as a custiomizing community will be salivating over (presuming that Disney puts boot to Hasbro's behind to create toys that are worth a crap!) to begin building upon this new universe.

C'mon Yarders, this is what we were made for; what we were bred for!  Let's not be negative about what we do not yet know of.  Instead, let's embrace the myriad of possibilities coming our way!

Goldleaderone:

--- Quote from: Tamer on April 28, 2014, 03:13:37 AM ---From what I understand everything that has been done by now will fall under a "LEGENDS" line and not be considered part of the official SW Timelines.

I do agree some of the EU Stuff I could do without, but a few of the storylines were just excellent. And to me this just seems to be done for the fact they are thinking won't like it unless its new.
--- End quote ---

Alright. I heard conflicting reports. I heard from everything post-Jedi EU would be discarded while keeping everything else in tact. Then I heard everything would be just thrown out and starting anew. I'm not for it, but I'm also not against what Disney is doing. As a fan, sure it stinks, but if they decided to keep everything canon I'm sure we would have some conflicting EU material somewhere down the line.

Tamer:
Being a promoter of history in general. There is part of me that just cannot condone getting rid of an entire "verse" just so we can get something new. I think it is a disservice to all those wonderful authors who have penned those wonderful stories and, if everyone remembers, they were part of the accepted SW Universe from Lucasfilm at the time.

That being said I have read more reports that did say they were going to try and involve some characters and story elements from previously penned EU so perhaps I do not need to get to huffy yet. Heck, lets face it, its Star Wars so anything new they give us we are gonna shovel up in mass quantities. Are all of us gonna like it? Yes and No. I think it is pretty interesting to read everyone's opinions here. Keep it coming folks. And thanks for everyone playing nice.

I can see great points in everyone's arguments here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version