Imperial Entertainment TV and Movies > Imperial Library

EU Canon being discarded for new movies

<< < (3/3)

smeagol92055:

I think that this poll is a bit misleading. At no point has anyone said that they WON'T be using any of the EU stuff in the movies, they merely aid that the EU was going to be used as a sourcebook to draw things from for the movies. That practically guarantees that there will be enough EU references to keep the hardcore fans happy, even if the rest of the movie is crap.
I think rather than moan and groan about what could possibly be, we should all try to remain positive and be happy that the Star Wars franchise is finally getting a big-screen continuation, instead of endless prequel material.

DarthSinister:
Lucas always said that the only material that was actually cannon was the films. This never stopped me from enjoying some EU material or loathing some as well... (the death of Chewbacca is one)

My EU of choice is mainly from the earliest era of Star Wars. Alan Dean Foster novels and Marvel Comics were always dear to my heart because as a child it was what we had. Lucas could not stand the Marvel stuff and didn't keep silent about that fact. After a period of time others came along and basically wrote over the above mentioned stories as if they never existed. This didn't bother me in the slightest because I have my favorite and that's what I like. What's happening now for the fans of newer EU like Dark Horse, Salvatore, Zahn and so on is exactly the same thing. This material is not going to disappear. It's still there for all who like it to enjoy, just as Marvel and Foster fiction is.

Maybe the new stuff will be good... maybe not, but we'll all still have our favorites and that's something. It's all part of growing older. Music changes, hair styles, clothing, toys and even Star Wars. This is why my Grandparents used to sit around and talk about the "good ole' days" and day dream of a better, simpler time. Now it's our turn.

Tamer:
LOL. Ah, it is just the oldster in me that is so resistant to change. Maybe I am just fearful those youngsters are going to dice up and stomp on my movies? Could be!

Like I said in another thread, none of us are going to be totally happy with this whatever they do. George probably warned Disney from the start what they were up against. And I sure do hope they get us some of the EU Characters I really like in the from of Thrawn, Daala, the Vong, etc. It would be cool to hear the perspective of one of the artists who wrote some of that EU material like Zahn on the recent EU announcement.

DarthSinister:
I feel old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version