Author Topic: Goldleaderone's World: Surviving one day at a time  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Re: Goldleaderone's World: Surviving one day at a time
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I've survived the seasonal position at AAA and will be extended through November. Starting next week my hours will be bumped up from 15 to 25. Only downside is I won't have a full day off from either job. I'll be working Mon-Fri 2pm-7pm. I'll have weekends off but I'll still have my morning job, getting out by 11am and having the rest of the day.

Ah well. Gotta do what you gotta do.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
Good to hear from you. A person has to pay the bills. It would be nice if one of your jobs would turn into full time and then you would be set.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Good to hear from you. A person has to pay the bills. It would be nice if one of your jobs would turn into full time and then you would be set.

Yeah that's the plan. Hopefully get AAA full time, maybe keep my job at the market part time. I'll have to see how I do financially if I get AAA full time. It sucks I've been at the market for 12 years and I'm only getting 16-20 hours a week.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
Wow, yes it does. Have others that have worked their less time been given full time hours? I might have to go talk to the boss about that one, in as nice a way as I could. I guess its easy for me to say that not knowing the entire situation or work climate. Well good luck, I am pulling for you.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks Tamer. A few people who have been there less time then me now have full time hours. My current boss I have no problems with, he's cool and doesn't bother anyone. I've let him know recently if any full time positions open to let me know, which he said he would. The problem is he's given so many hours a week to work with, a lot of times his boss will tell him to cut back on hours (our store isn't considered a 'busy' store). Another problem is full timers can get transferred at any time, including department heads and managers. Its just the company really, I just want out at this point. I got the job for the union and health benefits, now last year we lost the benefits.

I'd rather work full time at AAA at this point. It's a much more friendlier environment, pretty much everyone says hi to you in the hallways, and supervisors are willing to work with you to help you. It seems like at the market, some managers want to suspend you if you do one little thing wrong. 

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Just another small update.

We had a team meeting this past week, and on Thursday my supervisor had a one-on-one meeting with me (she was having one with everybody on her team). She showed me my recent stats and they vastly improved, on almost all the categories I got 100%.  When I started I was very nervous and shaky taking calls, having never done so before. I was able to get through calls with the right information, but was just timid in doing so. My supervisor said since then I've vastly improved and she was really happy for me (she even told me she likes me) and said she will try to get me on as a permanent position, and that I deserve it and would love to have me on.

Hopefully this leads to permanent part time, so I don't have to worry about going in and wondering "Are you letting me go today?" because I'm only seasonal right now. Hopefully get on part time, then continue on until I get full time.

It's funny how these things work. I was getting 16-20 hours at the market. I get the job at AAA getting 15 hours a week. Now when my hours get bumped up to 25, the past few weeks I've been getting 20 hours plus a Sunday (time & a half) at the market so total I'm working 45 hours a week.

The worst part of all this is my last day off was Tuesday from the market. My next day off is Friday. I'll be at the market 9 days in a row, which means 9 straight days of getting up at 6. Bleh.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
You are gonna be rolling in the cash now! Congrats, I just hope you don't get worked too much.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
Well I have good news and bad news. The bad news is this week is my last week of seasonal help at AAA. The good news is next week I start permanent part time! Last week was supposed to be my last week but they told me of numerous seasonal help positions. Two of which were permanent part time, and one of those fit perfectly with my schedule, which I applied for. My supervisor told me to apply, I did such a good job and wanted to have me back. I applied, but the Senior VP wasn't in at the end of the week, so they told me to come in this week for now. On Tuesday I found out I got the job. It was supposed to start the week of the 23rd, but they told me to just ride this week out, then come in next Wednesday, rather then leave a week then come back. My permanent position is Wed-Sat 12-5.

Once I heard the Senior VP had to ok it, I knew I was getting the job. My best friend works there. His uncle is the Senior VP. I've known him for years, he actually helped me get in, so I owe him. Another cool thing I found out, now that I'm permanent, I get a free AAA membership. Anyone who lives in the New England area and needs a membership or to renew give us a call. I'm still in the call center so you might need to keep calling until you get me lol.

Next step - permanent full time.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:55:16 PM by Goldleaderone »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 03:44:41 AM »
Glad to hear this is working out for you!

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
Got some new baseball cleats as I will be playing in a softball league this year with some friends.  It will be real nice to get back out playing again consistently.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »
Started up our softball season tonight. Although we lost game 1, our team is pretty decent. We did face the best team in the league, so that wasn't fair to start off the season lol. Here's a look at our uniforms. My friend's fire department is sponsoring the team. We chose purple because we figured everyone was going to do red and blue. I was able to get my favorite number, 2.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Well unfortunately I am without a computer (and TV) for the time being. We had a storm this past week on Wednesday. I left for work at noon, came home at 6 and both were shot. Turns out the house next door was hit by lightning. We have a guy from Cox Communications coming out Monday to take a look at everything. The TV is shot but I'm trying to save my computer. Everyone has said try getting a new power supply unit, so hopefully that'll work.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 05:34:06 PM »
Well I'm back with a new PC and TV. I was thinking of getting a new PC anyway but it just sucks as to how it happened. I'm still working on fixing the old PC, trying to get my files back if anything. The TV I got is a 40" Sony Bravia Smart TV. My old TV was the same model but 32" but not a Smart TV.  I love it so far, no complaints.

Here's the PC I got.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-touch-screen-all-in-one-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/2031017.p?id=1219522220416&skuId=2031017

What am I gonna do with 2 terabytes? lol.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:36:02 PM by Goldleaderone »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »
I have had that happen to me too before. Hope you get your stuff back bud.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
I attended Rhode Island Comic Con this weekend. For a review and pics, I made a thread about it in the Conventions & Events forum.

Check it out!