Author Topic: Trying to get back into customizing - 2 questions  (Read 989 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Trying to get back into customizing - 2 questions
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
I've been slowly getting the customizing itch back, I have a few quick questions.

1:  What other lines work with the 3 & 3/4 inch figures? From the 30th Anniversary Collection, Legacy Collection, Vintage Collection etc.  I'm looking for heads from other lines that work with the Star Wars lines I mentioned. I'd like to do some head swapping and make some pilots from some video games. For example, I'd like to make Olin Garn, a pilot from X-Wing Alliance. He is an african-american, and I don't want to use a Mace Windu head. To me it just says "Thats Mace Windu in X-wing gear."

2:  Looking to kit-bash some action fleets (what else lol) I see people use something to fill in the gaps. Would I use some sort of putty?

Thanks for any help in advance.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Trying to get back into customizing - 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
Joe heads work - you'll have to Dremel out the neck holes on them to fit most SW fig necks, though.  Marvel Universe figs work, when you can find some that don't have "hero masks" sculpted on their faces.  There's a new line of Batman figures out in the right size/slightly large range.  BBI/Ultimate Soldier figures are the right size, but seem to need a little work in places to look quite right.  True Heroes/The CORPS! have some interesting heads close to the right size, but they are done in the older Joe style and would require quite a bit of work.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »
2:  you have a few options.  I use a product from Aves called apoxie sculpt.  It's a two part epoxy like compound that once you mix it together hardens on it's own overnight.  While you only have a few hours of good working time with it, it works and sculpts just like modelling clay.

There is another product that is similar called "green stuff" that from what I can tell is actually a little more expensive...

depending on the amount of sculpting you'll do you probably won't need much.  I bought a half pound set of the two part Apoxie Sculpt almost 4 years ago and have yet to run out....

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Alright cool I'll look into it. Would Tamiya Putty work also?
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles