Author Topic: YT-1950  (Read 8380 times)

Offline ServO

• Cadet
YT-1950
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
Ok...
Back in late December, I got it in my head that I needed to try and convert one of my Millennium Falcon models into a YT-2000esque type ship...
It has been a long, and somewhat frustrating endeavour, but I am here today to show you my work.
Nobody has seen this project outside of my wife, and a few close friends...this is its first posting online for my peers to see and comment...bear with me...

I started with this snap-tite Millennium Falcon kit...I'm not sure who makes it...probably Revell...It's the current Falcon you can go buy right now at any reputable hobby shop...

The kit had already been assembled, and was parked on a shelf for a couple of years at this point, but trust me...there is no shortage of Millennium Falcons in my collection, so it seemed like the ideal donor.
I attacked the hull with my Dremel, and got busy...

After everything was cut into basic components, I had some major cosmetic work to do...I needed to remove the cockpit tube, and re-work that area so that it was flush, and also remove the antenna, and figure out what to do with the leftover empty space...I decided it would look best if I gutted that area, and built a recessed access area like the others on the ship...

It was at this point that my wife had started to doubt my vision...

I can see why...what a mess...

It became apparent to me that I would need to build a second access area on the opposite side to provide some sort of balance to the design...
I built a second access port, and started the daunting task of greebeling, and filling in some of the massive gaping holes...

It's amazing what some spare model kit parts and some primer will do to inspire!  Re-energized, I moved forward, and started hunting for a central cockpit tube...
I ended up using the central core from a roll of plastic bags at my local gas station.  The employees there were kind enough to save a few of them for me so I would have spares if I messed up.

Enter more greebiles...

It was taking shape! The end result was now apparent, and I couldn't wait to start each new step...

The whole ship got a coat of primer...

Then a coat of flat black...

Then a nice uneven coat of satin white...

Then the real fun began...

A nice generous wash of black acrylic paint...

It helps give it that nice "lived in" look, yeah?

I added some corrosion...

The engines proved to be a challenge...
I ended up taking the original blue piece of plastic from the kit, and covering it with a piece of 3M reflective tape...you know, from the hardware store.
After the tape was applied, I added strips from a window screen repair kit (also from the hardware store) to give it that "grid" look, and then applied bits of styrene to sort of flesh it out...
I painted the styrene bits black, and then gave them a silver dry-brush...I was very pleased with the results...

As you can see, the effect is pretty dramatic, especially when using a flash...the effect is a bit more subtle when it's just sitting on a shelf, but you get the idea...

Ok, here we are then...a few months later, this project is at a point where I feel comfortable sharing my work...there's still some details to clean up, but meh...I'll get to those...

Sorry for any crappy pics...I took all of these with my phone as I was working on it...

The only thing left to do is come up with a name for her...

Feel free to comment and critique...just be nice! This is my first time doing something this involved.

Cheers!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: YT-1950
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
Damn that is just brillant, I love the design and the paint apps just bring it over the top well done indeed.

Ron
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:41:39 PM by hemble »

Spookymufu

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
looks like the MF got excited.......

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Oh.
My.
Word.

That is incredible!!  You should post that on the Starship Modeler F/B page and seriously consider sending it in to the Reader's Gallery at Finescale Modeler!!  That thing looks like it is more engine compartment than cargo hold...  I think if I were writing it up, it would be something like a long-range recon/patrol gunship, like Fett's Firespray or the Skipray blast-boat, a commercial venture utilizing existing off-the-shelf components for crew and repair-c rew familiarity.  Very nice work!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
I have to confess, I'm unreasonably jealous of those plastic tube/core pieces, too.   ;D

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
This is a masterpiece!

Nicely done!

Offline ServO

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
Oh.
My.
Word.

That is incredible!!  You should post that on the Starship Modeler F/B page and seriously consider sending it in to the Reader's Gallery at Finescale Modeler!!  That thing looks like it is more engine compartment than cargo hold...  I think if I were writing it up, it would be something like a long-range recon/patrol gunship, like Fett's Firespray or the Skipray blast-boat, a commercial venture utilizing existing off-the-shelf components for crew and repair-c rew familiarity.  Very nice work!

Thanks!
I suppose I had imagined this ship working as a scout, or electronic surveillance platform...maybe as some sort of high value courrier as well...
Thank you for the compliments! It feels good to have this thing off the workbench.

Offline ServO

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
Damn that is juts brillant, I love the design and the paint apps just bring it over the top well done indeed.

Ron

Thank you!

looks like the MF got excited.......

That's nothing! You should have seen how excited I was when it was finished! LOL

This is a masterpiece!

Nicely done!

Thank you!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:54:10 AM »
Just seeing this and wow am I impressed. What a great new look for a YT! I am definitely gonna go share this all over the place today. You have gotta be pleased.

About the only thing I could see making this one better is some leds! Thanks for sharing.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:01 AM »
looks superb ! great job
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline NEMESIS

• Cadet
    • NEMESIS CUSTOMS
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »
Awesome job!
My Facebook page

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »
Dude, you have to be excited about this build. I sure am!
The reflective tape behind the screen wire was a great idea.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:52 AM »
Wow, that is one awesome conversion if I have ever seen one. Hat's off to you, sir!!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »
This is off the charts awesome!!!!! I love how you showed the step by step process i cant imagine this was a easy project ! i am just simply going to say  excellent job !!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Wow! She looks amazing! Thanks for showing us the whole process, I really enjoy that. Love the design and execution of this build!