Author Topic: Jaeger45's Customs--UPDATE 10/28 Thul Fain  (Read 38683 times)

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
Re: Jaeger45's Customs--UPDATE 10/18: Klaatu and FHG
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »
More top deck crew for the Khetanna:  Klaatu and the Floppy Hat Guy (otherwise known as Unidentified Human Guard).

These guys have to be two of the smartest guys on the sail barge.  They take one look at Luke massacring the rest of the crew, and say screw this, we're outta here!  Both figures rely on ground broken by Jabbaspalacespy. 

Klaatu (played by Corey Dee Williams) is made from the torso, apron, and waist of the PotF 5poa Klaatu, custom cast Wooof head and hands, Bom Vimdim arms, and legs from an Indiana Jones Temple Guard, with custom sculpted bits.  FHG (not sure, maybe Larry Holt?) is made from the legs of TBS Lando, the torso of TFA 5poa Han Solo, arms from RotS Obi Wan, and Cricut Vinyl strappage.  Both have removable headgear with soft goods drapes.

These are some of the first figures that I've converted a 5poa torso to SA, dremeling out the sockets and using hot glue to set the shoulder joints, detailed here by another customizer.  Seems like a technique that will be useful in the future.  Klaatu is the first time I've used superglue to protect paint on ball joints, and it is holding up so far.  He's also the first time I've personally cast head and hands for a figure.  Always good to try out something new!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:42:28 PM by Jaeger45 »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »
These look great! Nice job with the conversion. I really like how the soft goods "drapes" work on the headgear.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »
Pretty awesome if you ask me. Off to share.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Great job on both of these characters !

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
More top deck crew for the Khetanna:  Klaatu and the Floppy Hat Guy (otherwise known as Unidentified Human Guard).

Both figures rely on ground broken by Jabbaspalacespy

These are some of the first figures that I've converted a 5poa torso to SA, dremeling out the sockets and using hot glue to set the shoulder joints, detailed here by another customizer.  Seems like a technique that will be useful in the future.  Klaatu is the first time I've used superglue to protect paint on ball joints, and it is holding up so far.  He's also the first time I've personally cast head and hands for a figure.  Always good to try out something new!

I've always called him by his Wookieepedia name, The Unidentified Man in Red Pants.   ;D
They're both over the top good.  I love always love seeing new goons from Jabba's palace.
Superarticulating is a lot of work and you've really pulled it off.  Your finishing work is also stunning.
Casting parts really save on the fodder.
Can't wait to see more

Do you have a link for jabbaspalacespy?

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
Excellent, use of parts! Awesome , Awesome !

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
This is why I love this hobby so much it's the small things like this that really adds to a figure awesome work mate.

Ron

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  Jabbaspalacespy was active a few years ago on rebelscum, and he put out a number of very nice Jabba's palace customs.  I'm not sure if he ever posted here.  As his customs are individually posted (and I don't have a lot of other info), I don't have a single overarching thread, but his Klaatu custom can be seen here:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1107544

If you search Google images for a named character from the palace and the term "custom", you can turn up quite a bit of his work (recognizable by the background).

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
If you search Google images for a named character from the palace and the term "custom", you can turn up quite a bit of his work (recognizable by the background).
i

I googled him and found out that he writes for the fansite Future of Star Wars
https://futureofstarwars.wordpress.com/tag/jabbaspalacespy/
I did not know he had featured one of my customs. 
Pure coincidence.  I swear!

BTW, What head did you use for the unidentified man?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:22:28 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
BTW, What head did you use for the unidentified man?

Captain Antilles.  Not a perfect facial match, but the expression fits, and I had a couple left over whose vests I scavenged for cantina customs.

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
Re: Jaeger45's Customs--UPDATE 10/24: Weequay Marksman and Barada
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Two more figures, and a little bonus accessory:

The Weequay Marksman was pretty hardcore--after Luke threw him out a window towards the Sarlacc, he somehow made it back onto the Khetanna, and back to the top deck, only to meet his demise there.  The guy deserves some props for perseverance, if nothing else.  My version (inspired by LukeSprywalker's marvelous figure) is based largely on the VC Quinlan Vos body.  Arms are from Bom Vimdim, head and hands are Weequay (Skiff Master), vest is Indiana Jones Sallah, and softgoods are custom.

Barada was itching to be done!  Chest and arms are VC Rebel Commando, legs are Bom Vimdim, and head, bandolier, skirt, and boots are Kithaba.  Belt pouch was cast from Weequay (Skiff Master), and backpack was cast from the POTF2 Barada and strapped on with Cricut vinyl.  Neck peg was swapped, and collar and neckline were sculpted in Fixit Sculpt.  In retrospect, attaching Kithaba's boots to Bom's lower legs was a bit tricky--not much room to peg them together without affecting articulation.

As an added bonus, I painted up a MicroMachines rancor, and mounted it on a pedestal that came with the urn accessory used with the rotisserie.  This was supposed to be the rancor statue barely visible in Jabba's chamber on the Khetanna.  I've since learned of a behind-the-scenes Polaroid showing this was actually a wall-mounted gargoyle.  For now, though, I like it as is.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:42:52 PM by Jaeger45 »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
Sweet! Really nice job on these. I would love to get a look at the backpack you cast for Barada. Your parts combinations on these figures worked really well. Kudos!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2016, 02:44:09 AM »
They look great to me, off to share.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2016, 03:32:33 AM »
Great looking figures and love the rotisserie! Where did you get that awesome fruit bowl? I need one!

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:19 AM »
Where did you get that awesome fruit bowl? I need one!

It's ([cough] dollhouse) urn made by Falcon Miniatures.  I cut off the base with a razor saw and superglued on a couple of beads for legs.  If you search eBay for "dollhouse urn", you should turn up a few vendors.  Under $10.  The pumpkin was a dollhouse item from Hobby Lobby.