Poll

Which of the following statements most closely matches your feelings on a 6"x6" ceiling tile being included in the "Modular Starship Interior" kickstarter campaign?

It should be the third tile of the initial goal.
It would make a nice stretch goal.
It doesn't have to be part of the set.
I have no desire for a ceiling panel.

Author Topic: Econoliner: Corridors - NOW WITH PROTOTYPES!  (Read 12161 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Econoliner: Corridors - NOW WITH PROTOTYPES!
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2014, 05:09:32 AM »
Love the design, especially the second one with the Wookiee.

How straight are the edges, if I may ask? On my GM set, the edges are a little warped. A little, but visible.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
On our prototypes, there's significant warp on some of them.  However, we'll be having them done on Shapeways' "super-machines" which have never shown much warping on any of our orders.  My understanding is that this is due to a difference in the processes used.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2014, 02:12:06 AM »
Doc, I know you are getting these started up, but have you thought about setting up a campaign to perhaps buy a 3D Printer and handle all the parts of this?

I know Shapeways prints decent, but the cost is pretty exorbitant from what I understand and after your campaign you would have all the hardware you need to keep going on a new project. Just kind of thinking out loud and I am guessing you have thought down these lines too.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
I've considered it - I've even talked to guys who do 3d printing for sale and special-effects folks who use 3d printing.  The advice I'm getting is that for what I am trying to do, home/small-biz printers aren't up to snuff yet.  Ordering a slick piece from Shapeways is expensive, but it is a one-shot tooling cost, then I have the panel and can make as many molds as I need from that one piece, keeping it stored safely in a fireproof safe.  My QA guy looked at injection molding, but that was in the $15k ballpark for set-up, with a minimum piece order.  He's working on finding us a CNC shop that will look at what we are trying to do, so we can compare it to a Shapeways order.

The good thing about Shapeways (or any other professional print service) is that they take care of all the setup and clean-up.  We don't have to figure out how or where to add support rafts to my models - I'm paying them to do that for me.  Same thing for cleaning up the final parts.  Plus, I don't have to go through hundreds of dollars of trial and error to learn how the printer responds best.  The whole design-team sat down and looked at getting a printer, and we concluded that *right now* it simply wasn't feasible for Production Platform 3 to tackle.  It *IS* absolutely an option for the future, if we can find a person who wants to dedicate their spare time to learning the tricks of the 3d-printing trade *AND* a printer that will provide the type finish I require of my parts.

Right now, though, we've got to stay focused on creating models to havemade for us to cast and sell.  TWO MODELS on our "gonna do them soon" list are already either in production or are nearing production by competitors!  (I'm looking at JrnyFan's Vehicle Maintenance Energizer as one of those!  ;D No worries - we've got a list a parsec long to pull from...)  That means Production Platform 3 cannot afford to start learning a new technology if we want to get our designs on the market and into the hands of clients ahead of competitors.  4 years ago, I didn't consider myself to have any true competition - because Clint and I were pursuing filling different market-needs, I didn't consider him a competitor - and today we have two, maybe even four.  I remind my team almost daily "INNOVATE OR DIE!"  If we are slow to get a design out, then someone else will.

That reminds me - I need to pitch a thought at JrnyFan, collaboration-wise...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »
All I am going from is what Jrny Fan is showing us and wow what stuff he has been able to print out.

I just hate seeing the middle man get any of this!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
I understand completely and appreciate that! I just found another service provider that offers a number of manufacturing services that I need to check into.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
I'm so excited by this that I'm praying it here in this thread as well as in my Parts thread!

Here's a peek at the rough ad-video for the Econoliner crowdfunding campaign.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 02:31:48 AM »
Video is on the front page.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 04:41:28 AM »

Naturally, I screwed up the link! Thanks, Tamer!