Author Topic: W.I.P Shots - Containers and other diorama filler "stuff" for plastic men  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Hello people.

Here's a few shots of some containers I'm working on.

This one has the "lid" off

Here it is with the "lid" on

ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Thanks for showing us these shots mate, I was wondering what you used on some of them.

Ron

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
No worries Ron....I was in two minds about posting them to be honest!!!.   I'm always happy to share ideas and tips and stuff mate.  I have 4 bags of different sized craft "eyes" that I have used on a vast array of things.  I've yet to locate ones that are slightly bigger than what I have been using I have some containers at the moment drying in the garage after a few coats of paint.  The ones in the pics above will be painted tomorrow after the glue fully dries (24 hours). 
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Here's a few that are awaiting painting....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Pretty cool seeing how some of these start. Let me go share this before I forget.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
After your first post, i recognized a lot of the parts as assorted caps from different bottles, and ran out to my recycling bin to pull whatever I could find out. Thanks for posting the combinations!!! and that is a great tip about the eyes, i never considered that!!!

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Glad to help Wreckage hahahaha....I always raid the empty bottles here at home, and at work too hahahaha.  

These 2 unpainted and unweathered pieces are just awaiting their glues to dry before painting shall commence.  The small one on the right will be weathered heavily and have rust markings on it.  I think it's good to have a mix of clean, slightly weathered, majorly weathered and battle damaged ones to show the passing of time and that some have been used for possibly decades or even longer.  The one on the left will be weathered slightly hence why the glue smears have not been wiped clean away off of both of them.  The smears and left over glue "stuff" (once painted) give the impression of wear and tear and can look something like weld marks like they've been repaired at some point.  To wipe the fresh glue away (for the glue I used) it's best to use a cotton tip/bud I've discovered.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:42:29 PM by Wardog »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Thats a good tip about the glue looking like weld marks after these are painted. I would have never thought the googly eyes would add such a great effect either. I am definitely getting lots of great ideas here.

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Thats a good tip about the glue looking like weld marks after these are painted. I would have never thought the googly eyes would add such a great effect either. I am definitely getting lots of great ideas here.

With weld marks if you paint them a lighter shade than the main colour and water the paint down to a degree it looks like welding.  Those googly eyes are an idea I came across several months ago whilst doing a small craft job with my daughter.  I've found that if you go into craft stores or where ever and take your time looking around (especially at stuff you normally wouldn't look at) you can get some ideas.  You just have to look at things differently and imagine them painted up and glued to other things in your minds eyes.

I often take a look in discount stores, craft shops, hardware stores, chemists (yes that's right, I said Chemists), donation stores (charity places) and supermarkets (home wares/kitchen storage section).  I've found over the years doing things like this and dioramas that if you think outside the box and look outside the box you can really come up with some novel ideas that you would never had thought of and you can find stuff that you would never of given a second thought too.  

I have found that if you take your time, don't rush things and use a variety of options and never stay limited to what you're use too using you can come up with some really cool ideas.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:26:54 PM by Wardog »

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Have an hour or so to myself this afternoon so I got a little busy (...no, not in that way either)

All these have yet to be painted and that shall be done in the next few days (if I have time).  The glue I use takes 24 hours to bond but when it does it bonds hard.

THESE WILL BE TATOOINE BASED/COLOURED: Whites, Ivory, Browns etc etc

The larger containers of either side of this pic still have a few things to add to them.

THESE WILL BE REBEL BASED/COLOURED: White, Ivory and Light Grey

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:14:22 PM by Wardog »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: W.I.P Shots - Containers and other diorama filler "stuff" for plastic men
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »
Wow, those keyboard keys are such a great ideas for containers. Off to share.

Offline krash_override

• Lieutenant
  • Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »

Agree!  Really neat re-purposing!  Thanks for the share!!
.\,,/   Hack the Planet   \,,/.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
Also absolutely floored by the keyboard key idea.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »

Yep I have to agree as well execellent idea to use the keyboard keys.

Ron