Author Topic: Black Series 6" Han Solo  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Black Series 6" Han Solo
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
Well I have actually been meaning to do this one for awhile as I really enjoyed this figure too, but of course time is always my enemy.

Once again the box art is not blowing me out of the water and I can only envision what this would have looked like in a vintage style box with that iconic scene on the back of the card in full color on the front but it is neither better or worse than the other Black Series Cards I have seen so far. I just keep getting the meh feeling as it just seems there is a lot of wasted space. Still, that is the carded collector in me and I know most folks buy these to rip em out real quick.

That being said you can see here that he comes with two sets of hands and two sets of blasters with belts. I was very happy with both of the belt holsters and found them pretty easy to manipuate right out of the box. It is a pretty simple affair to switch those out and get them to holster their appropriate weapons well. Speaking of the weapons, I found the E-11 Blaster a little bendy with the quality of plastic indicative of some of the inferior stuff I think Hasbro sometimes uses on their Speeder Bikes. Geesh. Still I am thinking one can probably bend it straight and get it to go back into pretty much whatever position you need it too. The regular blaster he sports seems to not have those issues which left me wondering a bit about why the e-11 couldn't get the same treatment but I am guessing many will absolutely love to pose him with this one. The weathering seemed pretty daggone nice to me too. Speaking of the belts and their weapons take a look:

Like I said, not bad overall. I did have to mess with the strap that secures his regular blaster in a bit and could see that could use some attention down the road with some excessive play and repeated openings and closings. Next, I took a look at the overall face sculpt and paint work there and didn't really notice anything I thought needed too much improvement on. Now I know the artists here could probably whip up something fantastic, but for Hasbro I think they did a pretty good job with the likeness and the paint work. I thought particularly the eyebrows were spot on and didn't think folks would pick this apart too much.

I have been meaning to try and match up those pants to see if the red markings are accurate, but overall the movement of this figure is just nice and I don't see a problem with you getting him to ahieve whatever iconic poses that you intend. I look forward to seeing him matched up with Greedo (like I have been seeing out of folks like Luke Sprywalker) and seeing who shot first. This was definitely a figure that needed released in the first few waves of the new six inch line and I think they did a fine job with him. I can easily see folks getting their hands on this one and creating a version of the TESB Coat and putting him in that parka. If Hasbro is smart they will keep this basic sculpt and perhaps just add some accessories and re-release him in as many forms as we all would like to see. Like I said I would buy the Hoth Version and the Bespin City, and put a breather on him and get the Mynock Hunt Version. We can only assume that his furry sidekick will be announced shortly. It would be an epic shame if they didn't.

Spookymufu

Re: Black Series 6" Han Solo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »
Tamer, just curious but why is Han wearing his holster on the wrong side (backwards)?

My Target has had one of these shelf warming along with a hand full of Greedos and a hand full of Lieas, I dont remember us getting that many cases so I'm thinking my store has been a dumping ground for someone...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
Tamer, just curious but why is Han wearing his holster on the wrong side (backwards)?

Good, someone is looking at these. Just having a little fun Spooky.

All joking aside, I know I enjoy reading everyone's take on new action figures and wondered if folks do enjoy reading these and if they are looking at the pictures and seeing what folks relate. I know folks put a lot of work into these reviews, and kind of like the photo-novel guys, I don't think they get enough credit or thank you for what they do.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:18:51 AM »
Great review and I too love this figure!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
He does look pretty cool to me. I still haven't found this wave out in the wild yet.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Great review and I too love this figure!

Thanks, it is fun to open up a package or two. I really think they will be hard pressed to do this one better and hope they just add new accessories and garments to newer TESB versions.

He does look pretty cool to me. I still haven't found this wave out in the wild yet.

I only saw it once way outside of where I love as I was going on a doctor's trip for my gal. It was in Kmart of all places.