Poll

Are you going to buy figures at a price point of $13 dollars a figure?

yes, and buy one of each
0 (0%)
yes, but limit the figures I buy
3 (50%)
I would even pay more
0 (0%)
No way!
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: How much will you pay?  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
How much will you pay?
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:09 AM »
I am trying to track down a few figures of my own and keeping an eye out for figures for some trading buds and am wondering this morning, just how much I am willing to pay for a recently released action figure that I want after figuring in things like my time spent, money on gas running around, tendency for pegs to be clogged with peg-warmers, etc. I just did a search on the new

Black Series Six Inch Boba Fett

and see that right now he is going for double his original price. At first I think no way, but then I am reminded of the ridiculousness that resulted for the SDCC Exclusive and CE Exclusive versions of this figure with the Han in Carbonite so perhaps this ain't that bad? Anyhow, I am thinking of starting an editorial series here at ISY to comment on some of the current trends we are seeing in both our action figure collecting and customizing hobbies and though this issue would be fun to start out with.

Having said that, some of us are gonna differ in our opinions and thats ok, but please lets respect each other's views and see what we come up with.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: How much will you pay?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
Well, since the 6" line has pretty much established a solid base, I think we'll just have to sit out all this craziness. Last week I tried to pre-order that 6" ST from Dorksidetoys, but I might as well tried toppling over an AT-AT by tickling the underside of its feet with a feather  ;D I'm just glad they only allowed one per customer, excellent move on their part.

I must say, the craziness at CE2 was actually non-present. Me and my room mate from Chicago were very surprised to see a line of only a handful of people on the first morning and even on the last day, the Hasbro booth still had some cases left.

Of course, I only buy my figures online, since the availability in the stores here is absolutely zero :) All I gotta do, is log on, browse a couple of sites, find some sweet deals (or not) and enjoy a couple of cold ones :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:38:38 AM »
Remco, I have pretty much turned into an online only person too. I am just not seeing new items in my stores even though I know they are hitting stores supposedly in the rest of the country. I was able to get all of the Black Series Wave 3 this way, also from Dorkside Toys. I still have not seen anything past wave one of the Black Series Figures on the regular pegs at the two stores closest to me. I did see Wave 2 on an extended trip, but nothing great. Matter of fact I am getting ready to go to a few stores today as a result of having to travel a bit, but am really not expecting to see a thing.

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
Retail is high enough as it is, I avoid ever paying more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:06 AM »
Retail is high enough as it is, I avoid ever paying more.

Sounds like you have some stores that produce. Wish I could say the same. It is a battle being a collector in my stock deprived areas.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
I voted a little more but I want to point out that I only do that in certain instances.  Like a rare or hard to find (shortpacked) figure I might pay a few dollars more but it's rare I will do that.  It has to be something I really want as well.  However I refuse to pay exorbitant prices (I think the Boba Fett is a prime example, I might put out an extra $5 or so dollars but no way double).

I am a firm believer that as long as we feed the scalpers the more they will snag up the good stuff and force us all to pay asinine prices.   

My collection is at a point where 90% of what I get is just gravy.  There are things still coming out that enhance and help my collection quite naturally (Darth Palagius, Deathlock, Death's Head, Blind Master) but overall I just won't go there.  I've cut back a lot as it is due to economics and the last thing I need to do is try to justify $40 for a toy.  Might sound harsh but really I cannot do that and I am surprised so many are so willing to. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:32:17 AM »
As long as they ship well I am willing to pay slightly higher prices. I also find myself trying to gravitate towards smaller sellers as they understand collectors a bit more and ship better items. Its not like big online sellers worry about momc or things like that.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:07 AM »
I recently browsed through a toy store booklet and noticed they had the first and second 6" wave of the Black Series. At 32 euros each. That's $43  :o

Of course, there are import duties, taxes, middle men being paid, but all I can think of is why should our stores even bother? No one's going to buy a 6" figure for such a ridiculous price.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
Remco, good thing you have folks like us who can supply you with things at better prices. If it can fit in padded envelop I can usually ship for not more than thirty dollars through priority mail international.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:52:50 AM »
Remco, good thing you have folks like us who can supply you with things at better prices. If it can fit in padded envelop I can usually ship for not more than thirty dollars through priority mail international.

Precisely. And better yet, I always prefer first class international, since that really hasn't let me down at all in my nearly 20 years of international dealings.

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
I like to use Amazon, because I can add items to my order that are not just toys.  I've often tossed a figure or two into an order for books, movies, etc.  $10.99 for a TBS figure isn't bad considering retail is 9.99 plus tax at many stores.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »
I feel it's getting out of hand in pricing. I am getting out of that race and going back to2nd hand store buying used toys is for me and I gotten some good stuff from these places flea markets and specialty stores.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
For 12.99 I gotta admit I am gonna be very selective. Lord knows how much the six inch figures are gonna go too.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
Very, very selective. 
I worry that action figures may not survive this. 
Customizers are better off than other collectors, since since we can make a character if it intrigues us, but how long will the fodder last if the action figure market implodes?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
$13 is a crap ton of money but look at the quality your getting. They know kids don't play with figures anymore adults with money do so they make better figures. I grew up on POTF figures and I stopped collecting in 1999 I just now getting back and I'm blown away at the details in the saga legends and black series figures. I remember POTF figures were $5 all day but with the quality and inflation its not out of reason.

Although it will make internet prices soar even higher. If you can find figures in store $13 isn't  completely outrageous but the scalpers clear the pegs  and inflate the market to sell online. I've seen Ree Yees  going for $20+ as well as the E.U figures its insane.  The poachers are the reason I'm turned off on buying figures every store I go to has the same lame figures nobody wants anymore.

On the other hand higher prices may deter scalpers because no one will want to pay their price. So they won't clear the shelves knowing they won't sell at an even higher markup.

Hasbro has successfully created a starved market to justify the increased price. If they mass produced them they would be virtually worthless they need a happy medium that satisfies the demand and leaves them in the long run with more profit. Instead of what's happening now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:55:31 PM by JDeck »