Author Topic: Sith_fire30 Dioramas - 12/23 UPDATE WIP Enginner Sleep Chamber and Nostromo  (Read 13068 times)

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Better begin posting my Diorama work where it's supposed to be posted  LOL! Carried over from my last post here

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6689.300

A visual update on my sculpt work of the Engineer Hypersleep Chamber from  Prometheus 1:18 scale. Using Monster Clay as my sculpting material...

Completed "phase 1" of the chamber which consists of the base. Next I will mold and cast the base, creating a master cast to archive, and a cast to sculpt the second phase - the clear canopy. That part of the sculpt will them be sued to vacuum form the removable canopies that will house the sleeping Engineer that I am also in the process of sculpting. The Engineer will be a one piece, non articulated figure. here are some images of the work so far...

Below is a scale shot showing the Engineer Hypresleep Chamber next to a scaled printout of the Pilot Chair.

Adding the hieroglyphs and texture to the surface...

...and I'm not stopping there...

There was a reason I wanted to created the Engineer Hypersleep Chamber and it wasn't for display alone - I have started work on the remaining Orrery Room platform.

Vector artwork for the centerpiece of the Orrery Room - out being cut at the moment.

and I have plotted the size specs for the platform. I'm estimating it to be approx. 40" in diameter. I will do it in 4 sections of course.

The centerpiece will not be articulated in any way for it to open and close - simply a static piece that can be removed and replace by the pilot chair (Space Jockey chair) which I have already started to sculpt.

Many have asked - Why the Prometheus version of the chair? Why not make Giger's original?

Because it has been done before in various scales including a BRILLIANT 1:18 scale - Jules (Julian Bloom) created the "end all be all" 1:18 scaled Giger Space Jockey that is now on display at the H.R. Giger Museum. I figure I will eventually make my own but for now I am centering my efforts on the Prometheus version.

Hope you guys have enjoyed the update! Molding the Hypersleep Chamber tonight! I will let you all know how it turns out.

More to come!

***QUICK UPDATE****

Created a mold for the first phase in building the Engineer Hypersleep Chamber! Came out great! Very clean and limited damage to the master sculpt. Tonight I will cast a couple copies to continue on to the second phase - the chamber's canopy.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:01:55 PM by sith_fire30 »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Sith_fire30 Dioramas - WIP on the Orrery Room from Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
Wow this is coming along brillantly mate, I also like the small details you are doing like the hieroglyphs and the texturing.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »
Wow Dayton. You just seem to have this all down to a science. I still keep dreaming Hasbro will hire you and let you do this for all of us! Off to share.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:06:51 AM »
That mold turned out great. Nice job.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
Your attention to detail is amazing.  Where do you get your reference images and specs?

Offline maxx-replicas

• Lieutenant
  • SCI-FI MODELING AND MORE
    • MAXX-RELICAS Sci-Fi Modeling And More
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
Outstanding and jaw-dropping  :o A phantastic sculpting job !

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
Ooooh my, stunning work Dayton! That mold looks so awesome, beautiful stuff man, awe inspiring.

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
Glorious as always.  You are a stellar and unparalleled talent, sir...and you have such a strong style and aesthetic, yet manage to achieve such accuracy.  Amazing.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Re: Sith_fire30 Dioramas - WIP on the Engineer Sleep Chamber and Nostromo!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Hey everyone! Happy Holidays!

An update to my Prometheus work - I do plan to return to the Nostromo soon.

I was able to successfully cast two Hypersleep Chambers from the mold I made last week. I plan to make several more but for now all I needed was a clean cast for a master to be archived and a scrap to sculpt the canopy on.

I started sculpting the canopy to late last week through the weekend. All in all with everything else going on it really didn't take me that much time compared to the bed of the chamber. Here's a shot of the canopy with half of the detail added.

Mind you I have to exaggerate the detail in order for the vacuum forming process to pick it up - plus I plan to add texture to the cast sample of this sculpt by sanding it down a bit so I need a buffer there as well.

...and here is the completed sculpt! Overhead view...

I have placed the piece in the freezer for awhile - I am hoping that it will pop loose from the plastic bed so I can prep it to have a mold made. If it wants to be stubborn, I will have to cut the bed away from the sculpted piece with a dermel tool. What I should have done was to place a piece of wax paper in between the bed and the monster clay but nope, I wasn't thinking about that at the time....sigh :(.

Had some fun with Photoshop and created a few additional overhead images of the chamber with the canopy sculpt - hope you enjoy.

More to come soon - including what will be made with this vector piece I had cut this week!!!

I spoke earlier about placing the Sleep Chamber in the freezer hoping that the sculpted canopy will loosen from the plastic casting to make the vacuum forming process easier - happy to say it was a success!

Now that I have the sculpted piece free from the bed, I can make a mold and cast a copy to use for vacuum forming the clear canopies.

Here is an image of the casts from the sculpted canopy.

The next step will be to vacuum form the canopy - I haven't done anything larger than a 2" x 2" form so this will require a larger former and the kitchen oven. I'm using PETG .020 mm - don't need anything thicker than that. Thanks to my Dad for helping me out with the process - it can be done alone but always more enjoyable when someone else is there to participate...especially when they come out like this!!! 

Temp of the oven is set at 375 degrees for 30-50 seconds. Made several - some for paint tests and such.

Thrilled about the outcome! The formed canopy will simply sit on top of the bed, secured by the lip at the front of the chamber. This will keep the canopy from falling off easily.

Below are shots of the finished canopy places on the bed of the sleep chamber along with a work in progress sculpt of a sleeping Engineer inside!

Next step will be sculpting the tubes that connect to the back of the chamber. Also I will need to create a damaged variant (chestburster)of the canopy to represent the unfortunate Engineer's that never awoke from their slumber.

Back to the Nostromo and the addition to the work in progress, Main Airlock. I have created the vector line art of the Inner Lock Hatch Door and had the artwork laser cut last week.  Here are a couple shots of the assembled pieces....

This will connect to the Main Air Lock - here are some images of the interior so far.

A shot from the outside looking in LOL!

The Inner Hatch Door needed some greeblie work so I used Aves FIXIT to sculpt tubes and hardware.

Once complete, I prepared the parts for mold making. Unfortunately I only had enough mold material to create the front panels of the door - the interior will have to wait till I can afford purchasing some more. Isn't that always the way it goes?...

...and here is a successful casting of the front panel and door pieces of the Inner Lock Hatch Door.

Some of these images were taken with my iPhone so forgive me if some of the photos look to be grainy - they are LOL!

So that is where I am so far...more to come so stay tunes and thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

Created a short video of the Air Lock section of the diorama so far - nothing glamorous but a good test of things to come...

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
As usual amazing work buddy and very inspirational and have a great xmas and new year.

Ron

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Re: Sith_fire30 Dioramas - 12/23 UPDATE WIP Enginner Sleep Chamber and Nostromo
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »
You too Ron - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
Wow, so awesome Dayton. I just put up your Nostromo video, but this has to go up there too.

Man, still wishing I could wake up and find you working for Hasbro.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:52:34 PM by Tamer »

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
Merry Christmas Tamer and thank you! Hope Santa is very good to you and your family this year! Back to some Star Wars customizing in 2014!!!! 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
Been keeping up on fb but had to say here how mind blowing this is! Simply beautiful work my friend.

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
Are you working in movies yet?? If not why not???