Author Topic: An impromptu Boba Fett-ish blaster for my toddler daughter's Halloween costume  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
My 3 year old, Fiona, could not decide what to be for Halloween...She was torn between Boba Fett, and Scooby Doo. I was pushing for Fett, because I have a backpack (soft school bag) and Hasbro helmet to start with. We decided to combine the two into "Scooboba Fett", or "Scooby Fett", or Fetty Fetty Doo". Whatever you want to call it.

On Wednesday, I realized we didn't have a rifle. I went on facebook, and asked friends for Fett blaster ideas, hoping someone would say there was one at Ross, or a dollar store, or someplace cheap because we are broke right this second. After a few friends chimed in, I got the idea to just look around and see if I could build something passable that would fit her hands. I found a chunk of half inch hardboard, and a piece of PVC pipe, which was where I started, a little over 2 days ago.

I pulled out my old spindle sander, and started shaping the grip. I was kind of thinking about those old rubber band guns I would see on the boardwalk when i was a kid.

Well, at this point, I started really getting some ideas (all while some friends were still quipping back and forth on my original question). I went through a couple parts bins, and found a great part for the rear/hammer, and realized the plastruct T-stock i have been hoarding for years for Y-wing customs would work for the "fins" down the side. By now, I've decided to shoot for something similar to a Fett blaster, but certainly not screen accurate, just something that fits her hands and looks enough like Fett's gun from a distance that it is cool.

The big challenge was actually the scope...I ended up combining some scrap Cobra Adder missiles, a glue bottle cap, several other joe bits, and some (I think) clips for hanging blinds to cobble one together. It was around here that I started going a little overboard for a toddler costume, but the constant updates for my friends on Facebook were egging me on, so i kept going. This is where I was after a day, roughly yesterday morning.

The next step was filling in the details with bits, trying to come up with somewhere to mount a sling, etc. I dug out a bin of old military model parts and some other bits bins, and just pulled what I thought would work, and what looked good. By yesterday afternoon, this is what i was looking at...

here you can see the grip in her little hands. I decided to leave out a trigger completely-she grips it so tight, I was afraid she'd just break it anyway.

Now, I would like to point out, I spent $0 so far on this. I used junk that was lying around, and while the junk I have lying around is more conducive to putting together a project like this, it was still assembled without buying anything new at all. I even had a couple half dead cans of matte black Krylon Camo to lay down a couple base coats, and really let me see where this was headed. That was last night. I took these pics this morning.

So now i am looking at it, and I am really happy with how it looks. If not built for small hands, it could almost work for an adult cosplayer. So, I took it to the next level, and did some dry brushing and detail work. I took these pics about an hour ago, and have since laid a few coats of matte clear coat on it, and left it to dry for a few days. Scooby Fett has the best blaster a dog could ever have.

After all is said and done, i did buy some brown paint, but it really more to replace the last of the paint I used for the grip and stock. So in truth, the whole gun cost me nothing to build.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:37:02 PM by Wreckage »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Bang up job on the blaster. You really pulled this one off nicely.
Your girl is cute, by the way. You will have to show us the scoobie fett costume as it is a great idea.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow, how cool is this! So awesome!

I have got to go share this, but I really like how this turned out. Talk about turning normal ordinary items into something magic. I had to use that pic of your daughter on the front page.

I would love to see what she looks like dressed up in her full Scooby Fett costume too!

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
Thanks guys! And thanks for the FP love! I will update with pics from halloween with the whole costume. It will probably be scooby suit, then boba gun, backpack, and maybe helmet (she isn't totally cool with the helmet all the time).

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
awesome job! Love it!! I think I'll make weapons for the kids from now on rather than buy them cheap plastic ones at the target :P  ()rr

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
I look forward to seeing the pics. My family did a Halloween party last night and for the first time ever everyone in my family was decked out in SW regalia.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
I LOVE it! Kept up on fb but had to comment here on how awesome this is. Very nice and quick work.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
The best pic from Halloween of Scooby Fett!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Awesome shot of scoobie fett! That pumpkin on the table turned out good

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
FTW Wreckage! Off to share. That is on my top ten all time favorite Halloween Costume Pic lists. And I agree with Clint, great pumpkin.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
That is so awesome! Great job, you need a parenting, you are doing it right meme.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
Thanks guys!!!!