Author Topic: Making Custom Card-backs  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Making Custom Card-backs
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »
I figured we needed to get this great information showcased here as well as in the CAFN Thread for those who might be wanting information on how to start with this.

"Hey guys,

Darth Streams here of DS Customs, hope you enjoyed the podcast!

Here's some of the materials I mentioned and links to where you can get them!

$7.33 corner rounder

Aidox-Angle-Eater-Corner-Rounder

or

$37.50 corner rounder

Radius-Corner-Rounder-radii-Punch

or

$110.70 corner rounder

Diamond-1-Gentle-Corner-Rounder

Bubbles (Blisters)

100 for $30

http://www.protechproductsinc.com/starwars.htm

$63.28 paper trimmer

X-ACTO-Wood-Laser-trimmer

$121.79 Canon Pixma mx892

Canon-MX892-Wireless-Printer-Scanner

$25.23 Purple Cow hot/cold laminator (I'd recommend splurging on this, I'd get another in hindsight, mainly because sometimes it takes a couple run throughs to completely laminate)

Purple-Cows-Laminator-Includes-3016c

$34.67 Hang Tab Hole Punch

Gill-Hang-Hole-Punch-1-Inch-16-Inch

$13.99 laminating sheets

product/B007VBXB48

If you are going the easy way get sticker paper:

$19.99  100 pack of ld sticker paper(currently in stock)

Product/B000VKV2H4

so I had to pick up these 19.99 for 50 pack, twice as much. Hopefully my usual paper comes back in stock, I contacted the company and they said a few weeks.

http://www.meritline.com/85x11-glossy-full-sheet-stickers-merax-brand-50-sheetspack---p-46908.aspx

If you want to go the cheap way get:

9.98 for 100 sheets of regular glossy photo paper

HP-Q2509A-Glossy-Everyday-inches/

for this you'd need to get spray adhesive, any would work

like this for $9.20

Elmers-E455-Strong-Adhesive-13-5-Ounce

if you are against lamination you can use this to coat your cards for glossy finish and protection

Krylon crystal clear acrylic $10.90

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krylon-Clear-Acrylic-Crystal-Clear-Gloss-Spray-Paint-Glossy-Finish

$2.22 double sided tape

Double-Sided-Dispenser-Permanent-Inches-MMM136

Here's some video tutorials I made awhile back showing how to make cards.

Photoshop part of cardmaking using the following psd:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m22quj8ykb4tj4g

Physical part of card making:

The video shows me using glue to attach the bubble, I now use the double sided tape. If you get sticker paper the spraying adhesive glue part is not needed.

If you have any questions pm me here or contact me on www.facebook.com/DarthStreams with any questions."

And don't forget you can listen to his podcast where he describes this process here:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/customactionfigurenews/Episode_58_Darth_Streams_customs.mp3

Offline darthstreams

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Streams Customs
Re: Making Custom Card-backs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
Here is a video of my updated cardback making process if anyone is interested.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:00:34 AM »
Awesome, If there are any new products you think we need to add to this product list let me know!

This is just a great resource and I appreciate you sharing your tips on how to do this. Off to the front page.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:08:06 AM »
Has anyone used this to get into making custom cardbacks. Bill, I really appreciate you putting this all together for us! I am anxious with tonight's podcast to see if you changed anything up?

Offline bobcat

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:19:34 AM »
 aah, just saw this thread!! i watched your video you guys made this past Sept. you go full out making cardbacks! i might be a bit of a dissapointment to you lol but i just want to make some print outs and stick them to some cardboard backings but its still neat to hear about all this. i just figure having extra cool artwork other then my TVC figures is a nice way to change things up and have loose figures in front of cardbacks behind the loose figures makes a display look a little more arty and cool. i have a bit of a plan for a mini carbon chamber diorama too. it will only be one level though but i can still make it look cool i hope!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:36:48 AM »
I love custom cardbacks. I am anxious to see what you get into. Make sure to take lots of pics; the thrill of victory and hopefully not the agony of pursuit!

Offline BenAlius

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • #Buildingtoysformyson blog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
Are there pictures of custom cardbacks on this forum?
I would love to see some.
Check out my #Buildingtoysformyson blog!
http://gewooneenchris.wix.com/buildingtoysformyson

Offline bobcat

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:08:51 AM »
I love custom cardbacks. I am anxious to see what you get into. Make sure to take lots of pics; the thrill of victory and hopefully not the agony of pursuit!

when i get this 25 inch little shelf unit fixed up ill work on getting pictures of it! thats another mess right now! my camera i had died and im prob the last person on earth to not own/bother with cell phones so i have no way to take pictures right now. ill def show you guys what i do! im not a big customizer like some of the talented people here thats for sure! but if its any consolation i like to record concerts i go to. that takes effort and some skill to do right. i dont see shows as much these days but ive taped about 50 concerts i think at this point? my last three tool recordings turned out really nice! i can share those if u want ? i like sharing my stuff with people! i can dropbox them or something, that would prob work best.

*oh, its not even custom cardbacks so much i was wanting but those are cool too. will see what happens. ive never used photoshop and i really was just trying to find stuff that was shared on FFURG to make some copies of..BUT i kinda wonder about tinkering with photoshop or something like that and just making my own cardbacks of things i might not be able to find, custom and/or original. the ones i did find are lower resolution but i still might use those for my display if they look ok. 

so anyway, not star wars related but the shows ive taped is kinda my ''custom'' thing ive done other then just collecting SW toys the last 2.5 years or so.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:21:11 AM by bobcat »