Author Topic: Laojax Jabba's Palace diorama playset  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Laojax Jabba's Palace diorama playset
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
Well, it's been quite a while since I've had a chance to post anything at ISY. My son had been going through a phase where he didn't like Star Wars anymore (shock!) except for, of course, Star Wars Angry Birds. Fickle six-year-old that he is, he's back to the light side of the Force, and has given me the ultimate challenge for my "summer vacation homework", a Jabba's Palace dio! It needs to be playable, so movie accuracy will be a secondary consideration. I also have to consider the need for relatively durable materials, and I'm also considering making it modular for easy storage (thereby avoiding spousal fury as well). This is all in the planning stages right now, but we have a couple of large boards onto which we made a rough layout

Minus the walls of course! I have some styrofoam and plaster I've been saving for a time like this, and found a great map with the locations of various pieces of furniture and decorations, courtesy of the SW technical companion website.

I don't think there's any hope of bringing this project to completion in the couple of weeks I have off from work coming up, but hopefully I can get it to a reasonable state of playability by the end of August! I'll be posting WIPs as I go, so I look forward to ample suggestions and feedback!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax Jabba's Palace diorama playset
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
Also I just wanted to float an idea; if anyone's interested in trading some figures of characters from Jabba's Palace, eg anyone you don't see in the photo, for Glico SW keychain blind boxes or "Lightsaber Pocky" from Japan, send me a personal message. As I've mentioned before, SW figures are exceedingly difficult to come by here in Japan.
Here's a link to a rebelscum forum about the items to which I'm referring.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1099609/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »
Hey, looks great so far and good to see you back around.

Interesting trade idea too. Look for this to show up on our front page soon.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
Thanks, Tamer, it's good to be back in here and getting back into the customizing groove. The boy and I have been working on some custom droids lately, too. I'll get some pics up soon!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »
Finally got started on the real deal. Using 30mm styro for the floor, 20mm for the walls. Invested in a hot-wire styro-cutter, which is awesome! Like buttah!

Well, it's a humble start, I have big plans for this one!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:46:08 AM »
Looks like a great start!

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
Looks Awesome!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:19 PM »
This is looking good keep up the great work.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »
I did get this update posted, but guess didn't comment? I don't know, it was one of those types of busy weeks I guess.

I like the progression of this. I am always leery of styro-foam and how it melts with many paints, but this looking great so far.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Yes, I have thought about that too, and I'm thinking of either priming it with gesso or covering the whole thing in plaster, prolly try to avoid spray paint altogether for this one. Another thought I had, although it's not movie accurate, is to put the droid dungeon in back behind the room with the curtain where Jabba hid during the thawing of cap'n Solo! Didn't meet my goal for summer vacation, now I'm back at school with plenty on my plate, but looking forward to burning some midnight oil!