Author Topic: Yuzzums' Customs  (Read 110461 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Tawss Khaa custom
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Hey Yarders
I finally have something to post.   DH

I recently ordered two TBS Mosep Binneed figures from NJ Toys and Collectibles (Good thing.  Never saw bupkis at retail) with the idea to make three customs from the two.  One I'm keeping clean (OK, with a few modification) and the other I split the head and the body. 

Tawss Khaa was the other Nimbinal in Mos Eisley Spaceport, but he was also known as the original Jabba the Hutt.

To keep from destroyed a good head, I molded and casted Mosep's head. 

After shaving off the original stache and pony tail and sculpting the new one with Kneadite, I tightened up the paint apps (talk about sloppy edges) and gave it a matt varnish.

Finally, I wasn't satisfied with how limited the range of motion was on the 16 POA figure with rocker ankles, so I cut about a millimeter from the backs of his knees and elbows and split the uniform's skirt.  I think I could get him to sit in a chair now.

Thanks Yarders
More to come soon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:31:13 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Yuzzums' Customs
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2015, 05:17:10 AM »
Wow, what a great update. My comments are on the front page.

And hey if you need any more Moseps take a look at Dorkside Toys, they have em for 8 bucks:

http://www.dorksidetoys.com/Star-Wars-Black-Series-3-75-Mosep-Binneed-Action-p/hassw63424.htm?utm_source=Imperial-Shipyards
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:23:34 AM by Tamer »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
Nicely done on the head cast ! I assume your third version will be the Mossep from ROTJ ?

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2015, 06:38:18 AM »
And hey if you need any more Moseps take a look at Dorkside Toys, they have em for 8 bucks:

Thanks Tamer.  I'm good on heads, but I like the $8 price tag.  Dorkside  is selling all of their 3.75 TBS for that price ... except for Toryn Farr for $10 ( go figure ).  I still don't have a copilot for my snow speeder, so will grab Dack.

Nicely done on the head cast ! I assume your third version will be the Mossep from ROTJ ?
Absolutely, and thanks MJ1977.  I've been loving all your OTC customs BTW.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:42:43 AM by Sjefke »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »
Great look forward to your next update, and thank you kindly for the for the compliment !

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
  Awesome!! Great job on the head and adding better range of motion. What good is super articulation without the range of motion?

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »
  Awesome!! Great job on the head and adding better range of motion. What good is super articulation without the range of motion?

I know, right.  I'm thinking about trimming the knees even more.
 .... and thanks,  JDeck.

It's real easy to do, but with the knees it means repainting the red pants, as the lower legs are cast in black.  Fortunately, I have a paint which is as close to a match as I could want.  Vallejo, Game Color Scarlett Red.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »
Really amazing work. The improvements to Mosep look great and I love the new modified head for Twass. Thanks for the hints on improving the articulation as well, very helpful!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2015, 11:36:23 PM »
Hey Yarders

A few weeks ago, I scored a POTF2 YakFace and showed off some improvements I had made to the head.
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=8772.msg185715#msg185715
I wanted to go further with the whole figure.  As usual, it's a big mish-mash of parts.  I'm coining the term "Franken-figure".   

The body needed a complete makeover.  The rubber cloak is ugly.  He needs way more articulation, and the hands are oversized and cartoonish.  Using just a The Corps action figure and a few spare ball joints, I got him to 14 POA. 

I put a ball joint onto the wrists.  The original POTF2 hands are way oversized, so I sculpted new ones over the Corps figure's hands.

There isn't much reference to go by for the lower half.  Yakface is always featured from the waist up or standing behind other aliens, so I kept the custom as close to the POTF2 figure as possible using the original feet and leggings.  The lower half is from the same the Corps figure. I grafted spare ball joints onto the ankles.

I wanted a lot of fine detail in the head.  As insurance against a mishap, I casted a copy of the head.

After painting the detail, I covered the neck with white nitrile and glued it to the base of the head.  This covered that big joint gap, but allowed full range of motion.  The nitrile takes color from Sharpie marker and even holds Vallejo paint, if you don't handle it too much.

Finally, I wanted that scraggly hair.  I flayed up the nose and put some slow drying glue in the gap.  Then I laid individual strands of really fine nylon thread in the gap and sealed it back up.  There's also strands in the back of the head and ears too.

After final assembly, I put some soft goods on.  The sleeves and pants are blue nitrile glued with Loctite Flexible glue.  The sleeves are attached only to the torso and the pants are attached only to the ankles.  This allows full range of motion but hides the joints nicely.  The tunic is artificial fur from a cat toy.

Instead on a standard cloak pattern, I had to figure out how to make a teepee style wrap, because I liked how it laid n his shoulders.  That took ten tries to get right.

If anyone is interested, I did trace the pattern before gluing it together.  The squares are 1/4 inch.  All the seams overlap by 1/8 inch which is more than enough to hold it tight.  Liquid Stitch holds well within 15 seconds and after a day, you'll tear the fabric before you can separate the seams.

That's the build.  I'll post the final pics tomorrow.
Thanks ISY
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:39:49 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:29 AM »
No time anymore, but this is one I had to feature. Daggone this rocks in so many ways. Thank you for sharing it. Now I am gonna go do the same.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2015, 06:02:06 AM »
Thanks Tamer

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
awesome!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Yakface reveal
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »

FEATURES
HARD GOODS
Head:  POTF2 Yakface, detailed (head cast)
Neck:  POTF2 Yakface, ball peg added.
Shoulders:  The Corps ball jointed shoulder
Torso:  Original POTF2 torso.
Elbows:  The Corps ball jointed elbows.
Wrists:  Elbow ball joint from an Indian Jones Crystal Skull native.
Hands:  Original sculpt.  Reference images are scarce.
Pelvis & legs:  The Corps legs with swivel waist and hinged knees.
Ankles:  Ball joints from the same Crystal Skull native.
Feet and leggings:  Original POTF2 parts.

SOFT GOODS: Note; I do not sew.  It's all fabric glue, people.
Neck:  White nitrile attached to the base of the neck and the base of the head.
Pants:  Nitrile glove material, tailored to the legs, glued only to the leggings.
Blue shirt sleeves:  Nitrile glove material, tailored to the arms, glued to the torso.
Torso:  Light tan fur from a Siamese cat key chain doll.
Cloak:  Tan fabric.
Collar:  Artificial fur from a cat toy.
Whiskers and hair:  Nylon thread.

What I like about this figure is that most of the articulation is hidden behind soft goods, but not inhibited by them.

I was thrilled with the whiskers.  I may go back and customize Mosep Binneed's and Tawss Khaa's whiskers this way too. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:52:35 AM by Sjefke »

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2015, 02:35:47 AM »
Your custom Yakface figure is outstanding!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Wow This is amazing !