Author Topic: Yuzzums' Customs  (Read 111001 times)

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
Re: Yuzzums' Customs
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Your Wam Lufba figure really turned out great!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2014, 03:33:00 AM »
I had to get that detail work on the rifle to the front page too. This was really one incredible build.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:20 AM »
I had to get that detail work on the rifle to the front page too. This was really one incredible build.

Wow Tamer!  A twofer.

And thanks Yarders.  I'm always awed by your creations on this site, so I'm very appreciative of your comments.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:04:15 AM by Sjefke »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:55 AM »
I LOVE your Wam "Blam" Lufba!! You're engineering skills are really impressive.  Combine that with your awesome finishing skills, and you get some of the most impressive customs I've ever seen.  I've been following your work with great interest!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
I LOVE your Wam "Blam" Lufba!! You're engineering skills are really impressive.  Combine that with your awesome finishing skills, and you get some of the most impressive customs I've ever seen.  I've been following your work with great interest!

Wow DarthDaddy!  Thanks.  You're one of the guys who inspired me to try this crazy hobby.
BTW, my son is trying his hand at customizing now too.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:08:05 PM by Sjefke »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »

Hey, CustomsForTheKid.  Any pointers on making the family customizing business work?

Well Elias is really the driving force here at home.  I've asked to retire more times than I can remember. 

Starting them off with No Paint Kit Bashes and slowly introducing new techniques as they master what they've learned so far is really beneficial to keeping them excited about the hobby.  Slow progress makes it's easier for them to produce a quality piece. 

The blog was very helpful too.  Seeing visits from the blog going from 50 hits a month when we first started to 12,000 hits last month really made Elias feel like people were interested in what he was doing. 

Customizing brought us so much closer these last few years and because customs take so long it adds up to a lot of quality time as a family :)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Laudica from Jabba's Palace
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
Greetings Yarders.  It's been a while since I've posted something here.

I'm showing off my Laudica.  She was Correlian gun runner and marksman.  In ROTJ, she was the female leering down at poor Oola in the pit and standing behind Bousch during the thermal detonator scene.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Laudica

I started with Ysanne Isaard as the base figure.  The choice was a no brainer for me, because they both have red outfits.  I hate the prep work for ball joints.

First, I  removed the skirt, and cut off the detail like the rank insignia and sleeves. The belt is from TCW Padme.  For the face detail, I scraped the original paint off Isaard's face and did a repaint.  Lastly, I added GreenStuff/Kneadite to her head to sculpt on the hair.  The necklace is loose and made of string and aluminum foil.  I couldn't see good detail in the reference image, so I used the concept image Yakface's localgotal as a guide.  

Thanks ISY
More soon.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:37:52 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »
Nice! a Laudica sighting!

Laudica and Jess's dance was one part of the original ROTJ I wish they had kept in. (partially viewable in warwick's self documentary circa 1982)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

Laudica and Jess's dance was one part of the original ROTJ I wish they had kept in. (partially viewable in warwick's self documentary circa 1982)

Dude!  I didn't think anyone remembered that short.  I have the link for Return of the Ewok.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=return+of+the+ewok&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=DB3DBFF34F0D26AD5A7DDB3DBFF34F0D26AD5A7D

Jess & Laudica are featured about 9 minutes 55 seconds into the mockumentary.  I used the five seconds of footage as reference for their customs.  

[Gasp]   Spoiler Alert!

Rezikai, do you have a link to some of your SW drawings?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:35:52 AM by Sjefke »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
Wow, looks spot on with that reference image. She looks good on the front page.

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

Dude!  I didn't think anyone remembered that short.  I have the link for Return of the Ewok.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=return+of+the+ewok&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=DB3DBFF34F0D26AD5A7DDB3DBFF34F0D26AD5A7D

Jess & Laudica are featured about 9 minutes 55 seconds into the mockumentary.  I used the five seconds of footage as reference for their customs.  

[Gasp]   Spoiler Alert!

Rezikai, do you have a link to some of your SW drawings?

Thanks for the link! I haven't actually watched Return of the Ewok in a while.. iirc the version I saw was the same one but on YouTube, cobbled together from surviving VHS tapes and film hence the reason the sizes of the frames change during the same shots sometimes.

As for my drawings eh... I have a few from my highschool/college days at my deviant art page... http://www.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=Rezikai-the-ghost in the last couple years I went deeper into manga and anime so I draw Star Wars Manga style now and make my own fictional stories since the EU was considered mostly non-canon now.

By the way if you ever make Jess you HAVE TO PUT THEM TOGETHER for at least a few shots....lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:38:39 PM by Rezikai »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2014, 07:11:31 AM »
By the way if you ever make Jess you HAVE TO PUT THEM TOGETHER for at least a few shots....lol

Are you reading my mind?   Coming soon.   ;)

You should really post those sketches here on ISY.  Your Vader and Boba are excellent.  Also, I have no objection to Manga style SW. 

What a great Jabba's Palace Dio Sjefke could make!
Tamer

That Jabba's Palace dio is exactly my long term plan ..... and I wouldn't rule out a Sail Barge dio either.  
Of course, I probably wont find the time until I retire.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:27:22 AM by Sjefke »

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
I'd love to see a palace diorama or even a group shot with all your awesome customs as well.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
JESS

Jess is a Human female dancer in Jabba's palace, who hung close to Bib Fortuna.  
Draw your own conclusions but Lucas apparently deleted a scene with the pair, because it was a little too racy for the kiddies.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jess

I started with slave Leia as a base  (Thank you Viperskingdom for the affordable fodder) .

IMO, Slave Leia's legs are way too short compared to her upper body, which is otherwise perfect.  
I lengthened both upper and lower legs by about 5 mm with Magnum Plastic repair.  I also shortened
the waist peg, since I wouldn't be needing the space for burgundy fabric.  The actress who played Jess
was obviously athletic, but didn'tt have the tiny waist that slave Leia does, so I straightened her curves a bit.

Next, took her torso and filed down the gold bikini top.  To make a new bronze bikini top, I laid thin copper wire
from a telephone line and glued the outline of Jess'to her chest with Lightening bond glue with accelerants.  
I put down a layer of GreenStuff/Kneadite inside the borders of the wire, and after that had cured, I laid down more
Greenstuff for added detail with an X-acto blade.  Finally I painted it bronze and gave it a black wash.  
A lot of the detail is improvised since the reference images are so grainy.

When it came to the Arabian style pants, I had two options.  First sculpt them and add in big ball joints knees,
which would ruin the seamlessness or else make flexible pants.  I cut squares of blue, nitrile gloves material,
rolled them around big pencils and glued them with Loctite Flexible fabric glue to make conical tubes.  
I slipped the tubes over each leg and glued them together in the front and back and onto a crotch piece.
Those Arabian slave pants are completely loose from her legs, and I think they look like real fabric at this scale.

Next time, I may use latex in stead of nitrile.  Originally, it was very tight and flattered her butt.  
Unfortunately, the material stretched out over a couple of days. The last time I used nitrile material was for the necks of Cane Adiss.  
I'll let everyone know if the nitrile ever starts to crack or let loose.

Finally, I took the head from Marvel Universe X-23 and scraped off her mask, and in the facial features.  
I laid down successive layers of GreenStuff and sculpted locks of hair by pulling grooves with a scalpel.  
I gave it a base coat of gloss white, painted in blue locks, gave it a wash of thin blue and then a wash of metal medium.
I covered it with a gloss varnish and finally put dark blue highlights with a colored marker. [Vallejo paints]

Thanks Yarders  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:52:39 AM by Sjefke »

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Very nice. It's amazing, those gloves did the trick nicely. If you wouldn't have said what they were I would have thought they were cloth...  amazing!

Love the tutorial too. I like to do those as well. I always feel we can all learn something from each other. I have a handful of those Slave Leia figures. I have plans for each one. I felt there was something odd about the height too and was going to lengthen her somehow, but when I stood her next to the male figure who will be her counterpart she didn't look bad anymore so I decided against it.

Again great job on fleshing out Jabba's entourage.