Author Topic: Yuzzums' Customs  (Read 110975 times)

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
Re: Yuzzums' Customs
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2014, 07:21:09 AM »
I really like this figure. Hard to find ball joints small enough for a figure like this.  Great work
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
I really like this figure. Hard to find ball joints small enough for a figure like this.  Great work

Thanks Man.

I scored as many of those Brain Invader Ahsokas at the discount retailers as I could, for that very reason, to be fodder for jobs that require tiny ball joints.  I also stocked up on the Hobbit's Gollum and as many cheap MechTech Transformer humans as I could.  Those are the smallest ball joints out there.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:01:25 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2014, 04:16:00 AM »
The head sculpt work on this is fantastic. The hair alone is awesome. Off to share.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Hey ISY.  Sorry I haven't posted my Wam here yet, but I've been away with the Boy Scouts for 10 days.

I'm presenting Wam "Blam" Lufba.  He's been my avatar over on JTA since I started blogging there.   I've had the rough sculpt for almost a year and finally got around to finishing him.

The base figure was a Megablocks Halo Brute figure, which stands about two inches tall.  The joints of those figures are all either very small hinge joints or ball peg joints. I cut off the knee and elbow hinges and extended them with coffee stirring rods reinforced with tooth picks, using Lightening Bond Glue and Fill. I sawed out two ball pegs from another figure glued them onto the legs to use as the ankles. I wanted ball peg joints on the wrists too and found that really good metal pins with rounded heads work great as ball pegs.  I built up the limbs with Aves Apoxie Fixit Sculpt and then shaped them with a file and sand paper.
I scavenged the fur off a $1 Beanie Baby. It's glued to the body with Loctite Flexible Glue. I was careless and killed the waist articulation with the glue.   Otherwise he would have had 16 POAs. To get the right color, I added highlights with a fabric marker.

Wam has 15 points of articulation.

Head: Original sculpt over a Brute head.
Antennae: Packing wire, cut to length and topped with a little GreenStuff for shape.
Neck: I sawed off the ball peg neck from the Brute and glued it lower on his chest.
Body: Brute body extended with about 8 mm with Aves.
Arms and legs: Stirring rods reinforced with tooth picks and glued to the hinge joints of the Brute with Lightening Bond cyanoacrylate glue.
Upper arm: Swivel joint made out of a flat pin head.
Wrist: Metal pin heads.
Hands: From Marvel Universe Longshot figure. The right hand was balled in a typical superhero fist, so I had to cut the thumb and fingers free and the sculpt on the distal finger tips and shape the nails.
Ankles: Ball pegs.
Feet: Original sculpt.

Czerka Arms U-84 Hunting Rifle:

I tried to be as faithful to the gun's details as the few grainy reference photos allowed.
Stock: Carved from a popcicle stick,
Barrel: Plastic tooth pick.
Sights: Parts from a Saga Legends foot locker rifle and a metal pin.
Trigger and other details: Molded from other plastic rifles and weapons.
Strap: Nitrile glove material cut to 3 mm wide and 4 inches long.

The gun was a scratch build. The stock was carved from a popcicle stick. The barrel was mostly a plastic tooth pick with another rifle barrel glued to the end. The sight is part of another gun, and the long, narrow part is a part of a metal needle. The detail pieces are various odds and ends that I carved off of other old greebles. The strap is a strip of a nitrile glove colored black. It's attached to two metal staples that are bent into buckle shapes. One is glued to the stock. The other is wrapped around the barrel so it rotates freely. The detail is too small to see with my camera, unfortunately.

Now I have the largest and the smallest gunslingers in Jabba's Palace!   DH

Chicks dig Yuzzums.  It's the hair.   0/

Thanks Yarders
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:17:02 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Siths Herald

• Ensign
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Awesome build!  We get soft good on the occasional figure, but the fur is even better.  Nice work on the weapon too.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
Awesome build!  We get soft good on the occasional figure, but the fur is even better.  Nice work on the weapon too.

Dang Man!
I haven't had this posted for 60 seconds yet.

And Thanks.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »
You've got some great work here. Love this scratch built stuff, just amazing!

I left you some links for those ball joints in my thread. Check em' out. I'd like to get with Jrny Fan since he just bought a 3D printer and see if he can re-produce the Hasbro joints. If done correctly one could get a set that could do an entire figure.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
This is probably one of the single best scratch-built... no, strike that, one of the single best figures I have ever seen in my life! This is beyond amazing work! If I could slap this on the front page myself, I would.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
You do not fail to impress. this is INCREDIBLE.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
Wow, that is freaking awesome. Off to share. Wow again!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Thanks everybody

I left you some links for those ball joints in my thread. Check em' out. I'd like to get with Jrny Fan since he just bought a 3D printer and see if he can re-produce the Hasbro joints. If done correctly one could get a set that could do an entire figure.

I'd love to get my hands on good quality, home-made generic ball joints.  I cant wait to see what Jrmy Fan does with that printer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2014, 12:16:11 AM »
Too cool!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
wow
Wam looks fantastic.
The richness of detail on the hunting rifle is amazing.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
Sjefke i didnt get to comment on this over at yakface but i have to say this is the best wam i have ever seen ! amazing work ,  everything to  the rifle  ! 

Offline My kind of scum

• Lieutenant
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
I already commented over on Yakface, but I just have to say it one more time - Wam is utterly fantastic!  Just an out and out amazing custom.